01 cherokee 2wd transmission slipping and rpms going wild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 01 cherokee 2wd transmission slipping and rpms going wild

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
cbass23

01 cherokee 2wd transmission slipping and rpms going wild

I changed my transmission fluid, filter, and gasket yesterday on 01 jeep cherokee 2wd for first time since buying it a year ago and previous owners regularly maintained. Worked perfect after i changed it yesterday, didnt slip at all until a few hours later and between first and second would slip a little but still worked well. Now this morning when I went to drive it a lot of the gears are sticking and my rpms shoot up all crazy when i barely tap on the gas. Someone please help cause i really dont wanna get a new tranny!!! Could it be a transmission output shaft speed sensor or a solenoid?

cbass23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

could be the kick down cable??
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What type of fluid did you put in? How much??

I am going to guess that it is an AW4 trans (rectangle pan with a drain plug). If so it calls for Dexron3/ Mercon compatible.

If your pan is like I described above, and you did use dex/merc fluid but put in too much, pull the drain plug and drain it all out. Then start by adding no more than 2.75 quarts OF NEW FLUID!!!

RUN,CHECK,ADD as needed...
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
cbass23

yes that is my pan but it dosent have a drain plug so i had to pull the whole pan. and can too much liquid be the problem? because i added 4 but i totally forgot about all the liquid still in the system
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
cbass23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
how do I know if the kickdown cable is bad? would it just be not connected or do they just go out over time?
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
No, that wouldn't be very likely or very logical.

Confirm what type of transmission fluid you used, Dexron-III/Mercon, right ?. Did you damaged any wires removing the pan ? Pinch any solenoid wires re-installing the pan ? Every XJ AW-4 I have every seen has a drain plug in the pan.

Is the Check Engine Light ON ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
cbass23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
No, that wouldn't be very likely or very logical.

Confirm what type of transmission fluid you used, Dexron-III/Mercon, right ?. Did you damaged any wires removing the pan ? Pinch any solenoid wires re-installing the pan ? Every XJ AW-4 I have every seen has a drain plug in the pan.

Is the Check Engine Light ON ?
i used atf 4. and no i didnt damage any that i know of. could it be acting that bad because dexron isnt in it?
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
cbass23

would a code reader tell me whats wrong? or does the transmission even have codes for it?
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass23 View Post
i used atf 4. and no i didnt damage any that i know of. could it be acting that bad because dexron isnt in it?
That could definately be the problem, AW4s are known to have issues with ATF+4. Change it back to Dexron III / Mercon. Since the fluid is now contaminated it will all need to be replaced, you can either take it to a shop to have a fluid exchange done (not a flush, presurized flushes can knock stuff loose and cause problems) or do several (3-4 usually) drain and fills to get the ATF+4 out.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
cbass23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
That could definately be the problem, AW4s are known to have issues with ATF+4. Change it back to Dexron III / Mercon. Since the fluid is now contaminated it will all need to be replaced, you can either take it to a shop to have a fluid exchange done (not a flush, presurized flushes can knock stuff loose and cause problems) or do several (3-4 usually) drain and fills to get the ATF+4 out.
alright thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.