'00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #91
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

After a few weeks of use, I think my overheating is fixed. While driving with or without the AC on it's back to staying at or below 210.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this!

Sean

njsurfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #92
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurfmaster View Post
I've driven it for a couple of days now and with the A/C off it stays around 205 based on the gauge.

One thing that is strange (or at least different) is when I stop and turn the engine off the temperature on the gauge will rise. If I stop for 5 minutes and turn it back on, the temp on the gauge will have gone from 205 to maybe 212 or so. Seems like the coolant temp is rising from being in contact with the hot engine/head? I have never noticed this in the past. Once I run it for a few seconds, the temp goes back down.

Has anyone seen this? Is it an indication of anything?

Sean
This is normal. When you cut the car off, it still heats up but the fan isnt running and the water pump isnt circulating (heatsoak), once you start it back up the fan runs and the coolant cools back down.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #93
hoochbear
2000 XJ Cherokee 

for 2 years in 1980's the 4.0 had no radiator cap. does your '87 have this closed system like my '88? (no radiator cap?) My old Pioneer 4.0 liter had problem, turned out to be coolant reservoir and or/ blowout valve, the whole time. mechanic after trying almost everyyhing else, said" oh those go bad all the time" Bet i was frosted enought to cool down a D-9 Caterpillar!
hoochbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.