'00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #76
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurfmaster View Post
Put it all back together, new t-stat (verified working in a pot of boiling water) with small hole drilled in top and it still behaves the same way. It didn't overheat, but it was staying around 220 with a temperature reading of 225 at the t-stat housing. Temperatures outside is around 75deg, so it's cooler today than most of the days it's overheated. I drove it for 3-4 miles and took readings at the radiator. The inlet was around 180-200 depending on where I took the reading and the outlet was around 160. There were still readings of between 100 and 130 on the front of the radiator that I could test.

Could a bad head gasket or cracked head prevent coolant from flowing through the radiator? Could there be a blockage in the engine or head somewhere that would cause it?

Not sure if there is much more that I can do other than pull the head, but I'd hate to do that just to see if that's the problem! I guess I see if I can find a decent mechanic to run some compression test.

I've been working on car and boat engines for almost 30 years and I've never thrown in the towel on a problem. This might be the first time!

Sean
There's no harm in taking to the radiator shop, they can tell you exactly whats wrong real quick I bet for not too much money. Possibly you got a crack or head gasket failure leaking exhaust into the coolant. But also keep in mind it takes a couple/few warm-up cool down cycles to get all the air out. I believe the sender can be checked with an ohmmeter and reading depends on temperature, have to find the chart. Sender is grounded by its threads, might be too much teflon tape or whatever, sometimes just loosening and tightening a little is all it needs.

larjerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #77
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjerr View Post
There's no harm in taking to the radiator shop, they can tell you exactly whats wrong real quick I bet for not too much money. Possibly you got a crack or head gasket failure leaking exhaust into the coolant. But also keep in mind it takes a couple/few warm-up cool down cycles to get all the air out. I believe the sender can be checked with an ohmmeter and reading depends on temperature, have to find the chart. Sender is grounded by its threads, might be too much teflon tape or whatever, sometimes just loosening and tightening a little is all it needs.
I'm going to take it in tomorrow. Temperature gauge appears accurate based on infrared thermometer readings. Problem appears to be lack of flow through radiator, but radiator flowed and showed even temperature readings across the entire face when I took it out and ran hot water through it.

Sean
njsurfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #78
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Almost sounds like you need a shroud....but I don't know. Can't wait to hear what you find out!
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #79
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Almost sounds like you need a shroud....but I don't know. Can't wait to hear what you find out!
Thread mix up! BillB7581 is the one not running a shroud. His temps are perfect. I have a shroud.

I dropped it off at a local mechanic today to diagnose. We will see.

Sean
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #80
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yea my shroud broke when I replaced the radiator, so I ditched it and never really had a problem.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #81
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey, is your electric fan running when it gets over 210? Mine comes on before the guage hits 220. Just curious.....you definitely got a some other problem if its only 75 outside.
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #82
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
hey, is your electric fan running when it gets over 210? Mine comes on before the guage hits 220. Just curious.....you definitely got a some other problem if its only 75 outside.
E-Fan comes on and basically does not shut off once it gets up above 210 or so.

I have expectations of it not going above 210 which it never did since I've owned it until I started having these problems.

No word from the mechanic yet.

Sean
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #83
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just got word from the mechanic...

He verified the water pump by pulling a heater hose and starting it. He said it had good flow.

He said they found no signs of coolant in oil and no signs of head gasket leak.

Since he found nothing obvious, he consulted with a mechanic at another one of their shops who told him that he's seen this same problem and it almost always the radiator.

Their conclusion was that the radiator was clogged. I guess there is some validity in it since I ran the new radiator for a year before getting the system properly flushed.

I'm picking up a new radiator at NAPA today.

Sean
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #84
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Replaced the radiator again tonight and signs look good so far.

Started it up, let it idle up to temperature. Inside gauge was at 210. Infrared on thermostat housing read around 190 or so.

Drove for 5-10 minutes at speeds between 25 and 50. Temperature went down while driving. I could see space between the needle and the 210 mark. This is how it used to run.

Checked temperature on inlet side of radiator face. It was around 160 or so from top to bottom. Outlet side was around 130.

Took it out for the same 5-10 minute ride with the A/C on. This time after a few minutes the gauge went slightly above 210. It would go down and up but stayed very close to 210.

Got it back home and check temps again. Thermostat housing was now around 205. Inlet on radiator was 180 and outlet was 150.

No boiling sound coming from radiator cap.

I'm going to check level tomorrow to see if it will take any more coolant.

I think I may be back to normal. Crossing my fingers.

Sean
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #85
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

good deal..hope you got it this time.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #86
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I pulled the cap off today and could not get any more coolant in. Bottle was on the add line so I filled it to the full line.

Ran it for about 30 minutes at idle (~80+ degrees) with the A/C running. Temperature never went past 210. I'll try it on a longer drive tomorrow and see how it does.

Sean
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #87
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've driven it for a couple of days now and with the A/C off it stays around 205 based on the gauge.

One thing that is strange (or at least different) is when I stop and turn the engine off the temperature on the gauge will rise. If I stop for 5 minutes and turn it back on, the temp on the gauge will have gone from 205 to maybe 212 or so. Seems like the coolant temp is rising from being in contact with the hot engine/head? I have never noticed this in the past. Once I run it for a few seconds, the temp goes back down.

Has anyone seen this? Is it an indication of anything?

Sean
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #88
classygirl
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Jeep overheating any ideas?

My 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee 4.7 V8 is overheating and leaking antifreeze in the passenger side floor. I can hear the sound of something spraying under the dash. The heater core, thermostat, radiator have all been replaced.It over heats to around 260 so quickly. At first it would only overheat with use of the air conditioner. Now I'm losing a lot of coolant in the floor and constantly replacing. I keep a close eye on the temp because I dont want to damage the engine since I have to drive it. Any ideas to what it might be that I hear and the spraying sound under the dash with the overheating?
classygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #89
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
My 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee 4.7 V8 is overheating and leaking antifreeze in the passenger side floor. I can hear the sound of something spraying under the dash. The heater core, thermostat, radiator have all been replaced.It over heats to around 260 so quickly. At first it would only overheat with use of the air conditioner. Now I'm losing a lot of coolant in the floor and constantly replacing. I keep a close eye on the temp because I dont want to damage the engine since I have to drive it. Any ideas to what it might be that I hear and the spraying sound under the dash with the overheating?
Leaking coolant on the passenger side floor is usually the sign of a bad heater core. Not really sure on the Grand Cherokee though. You would probably have better luck posting in the Grand Cherokee forum.

Sean
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #90
classygirl
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks..new here still trying to find my way around.Good luck with your jeep.
classygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.