'00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #61
cascadesdreamin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Highly recommend an APN Exhaust manifold to anyone who does their head. If you have the stock one its probably cracked/leaking or will soon. I just finished mine and for me (a novice mechanic with limited experience and not even an auto shop class in high school) it was a long and difficult job. But it was also fun and rewarding.

I also replaced the motor mounts while I was in there. Everything sounds and feels so much better.

cascadesdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #62
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It doesnt look like you are getting any flow through the radiator.

If you were getting a 60 degree temp drop you wouldn't be overheating LOL.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #63
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB7581 View Post
It doesnt look like you are getting any flow through the radiator.

If you were getting a 60 degree temp drop you wouldn't be overheating LOL.
I hear that!

I guess the next step is to pull the radiator and get it tested.

I just replaced the water pump, but I guess it could have been defective...

Sean
njsurfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #64
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Really sucks that you are having so much problem.... If I wasn't going to sea isle tomorrow, I would swing by and let you take some readings from my 2000 with a properly functioning cooling system.
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really sucks that you are having so much problem.... If I wasn't going to sea isle tomorrow, I would swing by and let you take some readings from my 2000 with a properly functioning cooling system.
I really appreciate it. This isn't my DD so I'm not stuck. Just my daughter who's not happy! My dad has a 2000 as well. I'll might try to get over there this weekend and take some readings on it.

Tom Craig in Palmyra used to test radiators. I wonder if they still do, or if it's even worth it. When I replaced it last year I put one in from Pep Boys. If it's really the problem, maybe I should spend the extra money and get a better one?

Sean
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #66
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

FYI I am running cool with a newish OEM type radiator, and no shroud. If you look at all the overheating threads in here, it illustrates how these cooling systems were marginal to begin with. If everything isn't on point you overheat, apparently.
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #67
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have the radiator out, perhaps you could fashon something to block off where the hoses go (spray can lids and duct tape?) and fill it with CLR and see if you can flush the blockage out? Just an idea.
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #68
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nobody mentioned this, but if you had a head leaking coolant you'll often find "milkshake" on the oil filler cap. Take it off and look. Otherwise just about everything has been covered it looks like. Good Luck.
larjerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #69
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
FYI I am running cool with a newish OEM type radiator, and no shroud. If you look at all the overheating threads in here, it illustrates how these cooling systems were marginal to begin with. If everything isn't on point you overheat, apparently.
The "Shroud" is pretty darn important. You have an issue there.
Unread 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #70
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjerr View Post
Nobody mentioned this, but if you had a head leaking coolant you'll often find "milkshake" on the oil filler cap. Take it off and look. Otherwise just about everything has been covered it looks like. Good Luck.
I've already had the valve cover off...there was no sign of coolant or the milkshake looking mixture.

While there may or may not be a problem with my head and or head gasket, I'm definitely not getting coolant flow through the radiator.

Sean
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #71
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The "Shroud" is pretty darn important. You have an issue there.
It's only important to keep your fingers from going in the fan IMO. My Cherokee runs a few needle widths to the LEFT of 210 on the guage so no, the shroud is not that important. I verified this with a point and shoot thermometer it runs just shy of 200.
Unread 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #72
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I pulled the radiator tonight. Nothing visibly wrong. It looked as clean as I would have expected a year old radiator.

Just to see if anything was obviously wrong with it, I laid it flat with the hose connectors up and the cap on. I used my hot water hose to force water through it. The water going in was around 100deg. Temperature readings across the entire radiator were 98deg + or - a degree or two.

Was this a valid test? If so it would seem like the radiators not clogged and able to flow.

Given the large differences in temperatures at the upper hose on the thermostat housing and at the radiator inlet when I checked it the other night, I would think the radiator would have to be completely clogged to cause that.

Is it possible there is a clog somewhere else (block, head etc.) that could prevent circulation? Any know problems with this?

I guess it could be a faulty thermostat or water pump at this point as well even thought they are only a couple of weeks old.

Sean
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #73
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It's only important to keep your fingers from going in the fan IMO. My Cherokee runs a few needle widths to the LEFT of 210 on the guage so no, the shroud is not that important. I verified this with a point and shoot thermometer it runs just shy of 200.
After shroud removal? What about before? Whats the ambient temp around your way? I guess if its not too hot around your way in won't matter much. Too bad you can't put identical cherokees side by side , one without a shroud....and see which one has the electric fan come on first. That'd be a cool experiment.
Anyway, dunno how much opinion is gonna help this guy. Sounds like he needs some facts...and fingers.
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #74
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put it all back together, new t-stat (verified working in a pot of boiling water) with small hole drilled in top and it still behaves the same way. It didn't overheat, but it was staying around 220 with a temperature reading of 225 at the t-stat housing. Temperatures outside is around 75deg, so it's cooler today than most of the days it's overheated. I drove it for 3-4 miles and took readings at the radiator. The inlet was around 180-200 depending on where I took the reading and the outlet was around 160. There were still readings of between 100 and 130 on the front of the radiator that I could test.

Could a bad head gasket or cracked head prevent coolant from flowing through the radiator? Could there be a blockage in the engine or head somewhere that would cause it?

Not sure if there is much more that I can do other than pull the head, but I'd hate to do that just to see if that's the problem! I guess I see if I can find a decent mechanic to run some compression test.

I've been working on car and boat engines for almost 30 years and I've never thrown in the towel on a problem. This might be the first time!

Sean
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
After shroud removal? What about before? Whats the ambient temp around your way? I guess if its not too hot around your way in won't matter much. Too bad you can't put identical cherokees side by side , one without a shroud....and see which one has the electric fan come on first. That'd be a cool experiment.
Anyway, dunno how much opinion is gonna help this guy. Sounds like he needs some facts...and fingers.
I live in NJ it's been nearly 100 degrees for the past week, my XJ never got to 210 on the gauge and hasn't had a shroud in years. It really doesn't do anything IMO

Tags
overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.