'00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '00 XJ Overheating - Bad Water Pump

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #46
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurfmaster View Post

I'm still not 100% sure that all of the air is out of the system.

Sean
If you have any doubts, you could try an OEM thermostat which has the so called jiggle valve. I drilled a tiny hole in mine (in the same spot) since the dealer was closed at the time and I wanted to button it up.

Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrot View Post
Not entirely sure this applies to your jeep (2000) but I had the exact same thing going on with my 1987( coolant level going down, then I would add- jeep would overheat and puke it out. I solved the problem by backing up on to a hill, so that the back of the engine was higher then the front. I then burped the the system through the temp. sensor plug. I was able to get almost two more gallons of coolant into the system this way. I know there are differences between 2000 and 1987 but it sounds like you might have an air pocket (with the system cold and the pump not pushing, coolant contracts and slowly drains back into the system.
Considering all the work I've done so far has been in the driveway on a slope with the back of the engine lower than the front that could be a problem.

When I pulled the upper radiator hose and heater hoses off last night, they were all empty. Does anyone know if they should be full when the system is cold?

Sean
njsurfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
distrot
1987 XJ Cherokee 

"I solved the problem by backing up on to a hill, so that the back of the engine was higher then the front. I then burped the the system through the temp. sensor plug. I was able to get almost two more gallons of coolant into the system this way" I would definitely try this before I went any further, its way cheaper then pulling your head! Like I said it mimics my symptoms to a T.
distrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #49
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's a good idea. When I did my water pump, I took it out on it's maiden voyage and overheated going around the block. When the cap got cool enough to take off, but not completely cold, I put nearly 2 more gallons in it, a little splash at a time LOL.

It probably would have gone a lot faster if I cracked the temp sensor loose.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I parked it nose down in the driveway and let it sit for a day. I pulled the radiator cap off put a funnel in the radiator and started it up. I ran it until it got up to temperature and coolant started to fill up the funnel.

When it started to overflow the funnel (it was one of those small prestone ones that snap into the radiator) I shut it off. When I shut it off a fairly small amount (maybe two or three cups) came out of the radiator. As it cooled back down what was left in the funnel was drawn back in.

I was then able to slowly pour in about 1 1/2 gallons back into the radiator. The level in the overflow bottle never changed, so it apparently went into the cooling system.

I ran out of time to see if adding the extra coolant is going to have an affect. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow night.

Sean
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #51
Bbasso
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For years and years I've yet to burp a cooling system.
What I've been doing is fill the catch/over flow to the very top.
let it idle so it gets up to temp and then let it cycle a few times. If it needs more it will suck it out of the overflow if too much it will puke the extra out.
I just did my water pump, hoses, Tstat and after about 6 or so mins it sucked in about half that overlfow bottle. I filled it back up to the very top and then drove around like normal. Be sure to keep an eye on that bottle each time you park. it might need more.
My temps are peaking at 206 in 93 deg weather in traffic. now she's running 197-200.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #52
distrot
1987 XJ Cherokee 

"I was then able to slowly pour in about 1 1/2 gallons back into the radiator. " (1 1/2 gallons!) Man, thats gotta help!
distrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #53
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrot View Post
"I was then able to slowly pour in about 1 1/2 gallons back into the radiator. " (1 1/2 gallons!) Man, thats gotta help!
That's what I'm thinking!

Sean
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #54
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Another gallon and a half should do it.

That's the problem with many cars today, with the low sloping hoods, the thermostat housing is higher than the radiator. I've seen some cars with brake type bleeder screws in the thermostat housing (Dodge Intrepids).
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #55
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
For years and years I've yet to burp a cooling system.
What I've been doing is fill the catch/over flow to the very top.
let it idle so it gets up to temp and then let it cycle a few times. If it needs more it will suck it out of the overflow if too much it will puke the extra out.
I just did my water pump, hoses, Tstat and after about 6 or so mins it sucked in about half that overlfow bottle. I filled it back up to the very top and then drove around like normal. Be sure to keep an eye on that bottle each time you park. it might need more.
My temps are peaking at 206 in 93 deg weather in traffic. now she's running 197-200.
+1 - let the system work for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #56
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Drove it around tonight for about 15 minutes in 90+ deg. Temperature stayed between 210 and the next line on the gauge so maybe 222 or so. Parked it and nothing remarkable happened.

Waited about 30 minutes and drove it again for about 15 minutes. Temperature stayed between 210 and 222 again.

I backed into my driveway, put it in park and within a second or two the temp shot up to almost 260 and the check gauges light came on. I immediately shut it off and popped the hood.

The overflow bottle started filling up and then overflowed. Not a ton came out, maybe a cup or two.

Is it possible that there is still air trapped in the system causing this issue?

Is there any chance that radiator could be clogged? I replaced it a year or so ago, but I didn't get it flushed until a week or two ago. It ran for quite some time with pretty crappy looking coolant.

Sean
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator could be blocked... .you'd need one of those point and shoot thermostats to know for sure.
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #58
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB7581 View Post
Radiator could be blocked... .you'd need one of those point and shoot thermostats to know for sure.
Good excuse to get one! I don't think they are that much now.

Sean
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #59
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

LOL... you sound like me.... I dont know if there is an exact spec but I would imagine you are looking for something like 200 in at the top and 160-170 coming out at the bottom. Dont turn the AC on, obviously or the condenser will screw everything up
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #60
njsurfmaster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a infrared thermometer today and here were the results.

Prior to starting (after sitting since last night) all temperatures read around 95 degrees.

I started it and let it idle up to temperature with the dash gauge reading 210.

Temperature readings:

T-Stat housing at upper radiator hose: 205deg
Threads on temp sensor in t-stat housing: 208deg
Upper radiator hose near t-stat housing: 183deg
Upper radiator hose near radiator: 150deg
Right side of radiator (viewing front): 110-115deg
Top left side of radiator (viewing front): 115deg
Center left side of radiator: 160deg
Bottom left side of radiator: 130deg

If it should be ~200 at top inlet and ~160 at lower outlet it would seem that there is nothing flowing through the radiator?

Sean

Tags
overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.