00 XJ. Need to do a coolant flush. Which coolant to use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 00 XJ. Need to do a coolant flush. Which coolant to use?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
cutter1024
2000 XJ Cherokee 

00 XJ. Need to do a coolant flush. Which coolant to use?

Just did some searching and everyone is saying to use "green". I went to walmart and all they had was dexcool, and the prestone stuff thats "safe to add to any color coolant". Whats the best coolant to get? I need to do a rad/coolant flush to get the brown stuff out! I seen some people posting how to do the flush, but im new to the XJ and dont know where anything is at, or what I need to do it. Any good write ups on flushing, with pictures? I have a 00 XJ with the 4.0 and auto tranny with 147k miles. Trying to get everything in good shape to keep the 0331 head from cracking, or a headgasket from blowing. So im looking for...

The best coolant to use
The best write up on flushing old coolant out, and adding new.

Thanks

cutter1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use the regular green ethylene glycol antifreeze.

Buy the Prestone radiator flush additive and the Prestone radiator flush kit. Follow the instructions. DO NOT use the radiator petcock drain valve, it is plastic and very fragile. Use the lower radiator hose if needed to drain the cooling system.

Fill the radiator 2/3 full with your 50/50 antifreeze mix, start the engine and top off the system as the bubbles come out.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
cutter1024
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My local walmart does not carry that, so will have to go to autozone. Walmart just has the "add to any color coolant" stuff.
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't use universal.

Best to stick with plain old GREEN ethylene glycol, conventional anti-freeze.

You can buy it 50-50 pre mixed or you can get full strength to which you add water. Always better to use DISTILLED water to mix with it. Distilled means less deposits forming in your cooling system to clog things up, especially with things like the heater core.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've always used this:

Dilute it 50/50 with water and you should be good to go.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The yellow Prestone bottle that says "any make, any model, mixes with any color" IS the latest, greatest, good, green (color), stuff. It's available in straight coolant (pic above) or in 50/50 pre-diluted/mixed.

Remove both hoses from the t-stat housing, remove lower rad hose at the water pump. Take a garden hose and squirt it in the heater hose (heater core flush), then squirt it in the top rad hose (radiator flush), then squirt it in the heater hose nipple on the t-stat housing (cyl head/engine block flush).

The heater core, engine block and rad are going to retain SOME water after a flush. I'd recommend the 1st gal. of coolant added be the straight, non-diluted stuff, as it will dilute with the water still remaining in the system after the flush.......then top the system off with diluted 50/50 stuff. Probably will take 2 gals. + to refill.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
cutter1024
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok my mistake. I looked into the bottle and it looked yellow. When you pour it, its green.

I got 3 containers of the above. I pulled off the bottom rad hose and drained the rad. I shot some water through to push anything in there out. I put the hose back on and then put in the quick rad flush made by prestone. Filled with water, and ran for about 10 minutes. Flushed again.... filled with just water.... ran for 10 minutes.... flushed again. Then filled with coolant 50/50

I also pulled out the overflow and cleaned that out. I didnt get to flush out the heater core, but at least everything is cleaner now then it was. Only took about 45 minutes. I didnt do the heater core because we were running short on time.

My coolant is a green color now, and not brown. There was some nasty stuff in the rad. Probably flushed out 4 5gal buckets full of brown nasty coolant/water. It may not be flushed 100%, but at least its alot better then it was.
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Keep an eye on it, it'll probably turn brown again fairly quick....flush again and refill....u probably have 60/40 water/coolant mix, so a little less corrosion protection.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.