00 xj blend door issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 00 xj blend door issues

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

00 xj blend door issues

I'm having issues with the blend door opperating correctly on a 00xj. the problem i have is that i don't have real ice cold ac vent temps anymore. the vehicle is full of r134a and is leak free. the compressor cycles and runs normally also my ac pressure temps are in good order low side is about 28-30 the high side is about 200-225psi, the electric fan comes on as needed. the vehicle does not over heat and does produce good heat when commanded. but when full cold is selected i can only achieve 58-62 degree vent temps. i used to have mid 40's. if i plug off the heater core lines i once again regain my mid 40 vent temps. i have already replaced the blend door motor and installed a new heater treater steel blend door that is wrapped in fairly heavy foam. the door moves from stop to stop but i still seem to be getting some air threw the heater core heating up the cooled air from the ac.

has anybody run across this or seen a blend door damage the heater door when it broke, my blend door was only cracked mid way up the pivot and was very hard to actuate. you could not move it by hand and the blend door motor could only turn it about half way. now that the new door is installed it moves from stop to stop with ease either by hand or with the blend door motor.

thanks in advance.

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
XJH-007

If you are getting heated air the blend door must not be moving to full cold.

So is the foam thick enough to not allow a good seal?
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

no it's not thick enough to cause it not to close. it's there to seal the door against the box. You can watch the blend motor swing the door to full cold and then back to full heat. but at full cold i don't get full cold. i just want to make sure i'm not missing something before i pull the dash to get the heater box out.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
XJH-007

Well, 40 degree air is pretty darned cold...I think the specs on the AC say if the air coming out is in the low to mid 50's you AC is working properly.

Now, a lot depends on the ambient temp outside. If you test this in the evening when it's cooler outside and get 45*, then the next day you get 55* in the heat of the day, it's because you are starting with a higher outside temp. The AC can only cool the outside air so much.

Check your Recirc. Door too. For best cooling, the door needs to be closed so it is re-cooling the already cool air...thus making it even cooler.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

as far as i can tell the recirc door is working fine. Here is the thing, the ac has always been in the mid 40's until the blend door issue occured, before putting the new door in i couldn't get under 70 degrees. I'm pretty familar with ac systems and work on them regularly (epa 609 certified for auto refrigerent) and the pressures i have and vent temps i used to get are what this vehicle should have, they also matched my 98 xj. so i know something is astray because my 00 xj is blowing 20 or so degrees warmer then my 98 yet all the pressure readings are the same and the accumulator in the 00 is nice and cold about 40 or so degrees. also it doesn't seem to be iceing over the evaporator either since the compressor cycles and never seems to blow real cold. i think that there is something going on in the box.
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
oldfamilyguy

Well you probably want to get to the bottom of it and fix it right, but if by-passing the heater core takes care of it. Just do that for now (or forever) with a valve and fittings. You can close it off for summer, open for colder weather. Easy enough. I had to do this on a couple vehicles. I chose opening the hood once and awhile over taking the dash out, but thats just me.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i thought of doing that, however i would be able to deal with it. and what i mean by that is i want the hvac control to function like stock. knowing that i had the core bypassed with a valve would bug the hell out of me. i rather take the dash apart then have the valve in there. little stuff like that for some reason will drive me insane. it appears as if i'm the only one to come across this problem so it looks like i will be pulling the dash when i get some time to do so. in chicago a good portion of the hot weather has already passed so it's hard to say if i will even mess with it now till spring especially since i drive with the windows open most of the time anyways. Just on those 90 degree days it's nice to have working ac especially since this is a daily driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.