00 cherokee sport starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 00 cherokee sport starting problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVER™ Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
dbuff78

00 cherokee sport starting problems

I have a 2000 cherokee sport 4wd and i am having some intermittent starting problems. It has stalled on me but i was able to restart it right away.

Recently though it gave me problems starting in my driveway, tried four times and on the fifth time it caught and ran and then didnt start after i got done work. 2 days later i went to where i left it and on the second try it fired and ran, stalled once and restarted immediately, and restarted multiple time no hiccups.

I drove it a couple days and it stalled on me once and didnt restart for at least 2 weeks maybe more. For s and giggles i went to where i left it to try and start it and on the second try it started. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could possibly be, i did have to put coolant in the overfill and put a full gallon in the radiator, coincidence or possible problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause i dont know where to start.

dbuff78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuff78 View Post
... did have to put coolant in the overfill and put a full gallon in the radiator.
Google Jeep 0331 head.

For the no-start, I would suspect a failed check valve.

When a 1997 to 2001 Cherokee won’t start on the first try day after day, the first thing to suspect is a failed check valve on the fuel pump. The fuel pump check valve is supposed to hold pressure in the fuel line while the engine is off. The check valve is located on the fuel pump and located in the gas tank. A failed check valve allows the fuel to drain back to the tank. This results in one or more of the following symptoms:

SYMPTOMS

• Longer than normal cranking times
• Never starts on first try, almost always starts on the second try
• Rough idle for a few moments of idling
• Rough running for first ˝ block of driving
• Little or no fuel pressure at the fuel rail test valve similar to this -

1- Key in on position; fuel pump primes for 2 seconds then stops. 0 PSI
2- Cranking over the engine. 2-3 PSI
3- Engine starts and idles for 20 seconds. < 5 PSI
4- Engine idles and fuel pressure creeps up to 45-50 PSI.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• Failed check valve on the fuel pump in the gas tank.
• Leaky fuel injector(s) may be the true cause of your problem, but more likely they are simply contributing to the check valve issue.

Testing of the fuel injectors should show if any are faulty and are allowing fuel to drain into the cylinder. Either problem can allow heat soak to vaporize the remaining fuel in the fuel rail, and you may be dealing with a bit of vapor lock as well, especially in warmer weather.

1. Connect the gauge at the fuel rail and start the engine. The gage should read 49 psi plus or minus 5 psi.
2. Turn the engine off and immediately clamp the fuel line just ahead of the fuel tank. Watch the pressure gage and see how long it takes to loose pressure.

If the pressure remains at 49 psi for an extended period of time then the problem is in the tank - probably the check valve. If the pressure falls below 49 psi fairly rapidly then the problem is probably one or more leaky injectors.

There are a few solutions to the problem –

1. Turn the key to ON for 5 seconds and let the fuel pump prime. Turn the key to OFF, turn the key back to ON for 5 seconds, start the engine.
2. Crank the engine for 3-5 seconds, pause, and crank the engine again. It will almost always start on the second try.
3. Replace the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank. The check valve is not a separate part and cannot be serviced. This is both expensive and time consuming because you have to remove any hitches and skid plates and then remove the gas tank from the vehicle.

You can use solutions 1 or 2 for as long as you want to, they do not harm anything and the fuel pump will continue to function for many more years.

If you do replace the fuel pump assembly, purchase a high quality OEM style pump assembly such as Bosch or Carter. Some cheap aftermarket fuel pump assemblies, like Airtex, and Precision don’t hold up and fail completely within 12-18 months.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure I'm reading your description right, it sounds like the starting/stumbling issues could be a generally bad fuel pump assembly. Get a parts store to loan you their fuel pressure gauge set. This is one of those things you can't really count on a cheapo harbor freight set for, they tend to be leaky and questionable at best. You can check the pump itself by monitoring the pressure while it runs, you can check the check valve Tim described by starting the car to get the pressure up, then turning it off and checking the gauge several minutes later, to see if it has bled down at all. If it has, that's a bad check valve.

If you're losing coolant and can't spot any leaks in the cooling system, then it could be the 0331. Keep an eye on your coolant for 'gunkyness', signs of more than usual rust contamination or oil. Next time you do an oil change you could also use a clean pan and then have it tested for traces of coolants to see if they are mixing in the engine. Those are both signs of the 0331 crack. As it gets worse it tends to cause cyl 3 and/or 4 misfires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.