Removing doors in BC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Removing doors in BC

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
DougieFresh
2008 JK Wrangler 

Removing doors in BC

So from what I've seen on other sites it looks like it's illegal in BC to drive without factory doors on... but I have a question:

I haven't bought my 2008 JK yet, but should be getting it in 3-4 weeks. However when I was driving one last night I saw a sticker in it that made me wonder...
It said something about how the roof and doors are intended to protect from the elements only and not to keep you in the vehicle in case of a crash so you should always wear a seatbelt...

So does that mean that if the doors aren't intended to protect you anyways, you still need them?

Hoping someone knows the answer...
Thanks!

OME HD Lift with NitroCharger shocks. JKS front and rear adjustable trackbars. 33" Toyo Open Country MT's on 18" XD Rockstars. JKS Quicker Disco's. RockHard 4x4 Oil Pan Skid. Shrockworks Rock Sliders. Woods SS relocation bracket & evap relocation bracket. sPod switch panel. Tuffy Security Cover

-Drive it like you stole it-
DougieFresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Y2KWRANGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 2000 tj has the same sticker. As far as I have read if it comes with doors it needs to have some sort of doors on it. On earlier CJ s door were an option so they don't get ticketed. Heard you can get away with as little as a chain. I have driven with the doors off for the last 7 years and no tickets. I have a link to the motor vehichle act some where I'll see if i can find it.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#1
Red Jeep Club Member #390
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/canadian-jeep-club-eh-364619/

bcjeep club.ca http://66.7.207.100/~bcjeepcl/index.php
Y2KWRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:44 AM   #3
Island4x4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had any problems. The DOT approved the Jeep wrangler the way it sits... with removable doors. Thats my argument for the police if they ever want to ticket me for it. Most of them pull me over just to talk jeep with me though lol

[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club Member # 1337[/COLOR]
Island4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Y2KWRANGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here it is. http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/...tm#section7-09
The imortant part....

From MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS

Quote:
Standards of safety and repair

Door, body, hood

11 The vehicle shall comply with section 19.02 of the regulations with regard to size and dimension.

DoorsóDoors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors.

The doors with which a vehicle is equipped shall be in good working order, and any hinge, latch or handle must not be broken, missing or inoperable.

The doors shall not be warped, twisted or weakened to the extent that a slight jar will open them.

A door shall be capable of being opened or closed with normal effort.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#1
Red Jeep Club Member #390
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364619

bcjeep club.ca http://66.7.207.100/~bcjeepcl/index.php
Y2KWRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

There's a forum in www.bc4x4.com that's moderated by a former RCMP member and this has been discussed and debated at length and ad nauseum.

Bascially the common interpretation is as follows:

Vehicles which were manufactured and sold with doors as options (CJ) are not required to have doors on to comply with the MVA.

Vehicles that were manufactured and sold with doors as standard equipment (YJ, TJ, etc) must have doors on to comply with the MVA. The fact that these doors are easily removable is completely irrelevant.

yes it's splitting hairs, but that *is* how most LE in BC will interpret that particular section of the MVA if given cause to.

In other words: there is no guarantee that you WILL be ticketed if you're pulled over while driving without your doors on. I suspect that it's a "judgement call" on the part of the officer and one of those things that they can pull out of their back pocket in case someone decides to give them some attitude.

When I had my YJ from 1989 - 2000 I never got pulled over/ticketed for having my doors off and i've been pulled over plenty of times while driving with my doors off. it was just never an issue with LE. HOWEVER, my understanding is that LE has been less tolerant in recent years.

INSTALLED:
5.5" home brew lift (BB + JKS ACOS/bastard packs + 1.5" Boomerang Shackles) | RE DBs + Adjustable UCAs & LCAs | JKS BPEs & Quicker Discos | Kevin's Offroad Trackbar | 33x10.50-15 BFG ATs | 15x7 Type 058 Eagle Alloys | RuffStuff Specialties HD Diff Covers | AA SYE | Modified Tom Woods driveshaft | LeBaron hood vents | Redline Hood Lift | B&M Tranny cooler | Reese Class III Receiver | 62mm bored TB | Borla Cat-Back Exhaust | C4x4 Fab Rear bumper & tire carrier | ORO Licence Plate relocation Kit | Kelley's WIP HD wiring upgrade | ZJ rear disc brakes | Stainless Brake lines | ARB front Bullbar | Orvis Edition Rear Spoiler

TO BE INSTALLED:
JKS Mini Skids | Rock Lizard Corner Guards | AEV/Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid | TnT Customs Unibody Stiffeners, HD Belly Pan & U-Bolt Eliminators

PLANNED:
ARB Roof Rack | Warn 9000lbs Winch | Warn Manual Hub Upgrade | Rock lights | 231 Wide Chain Kit, 2Lo, 4:1 | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | Snorkel | Dual Batteries | OBA
cdn_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #6
jimwww
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes you do need to have doors on the vehicle but often the reason you get pulled over is because you do not have a drivers side mirror. Geminii in Vancouver/Surrey sell them for 30 bucks or so and they fit in the hole left by the door. It is $75.00 fine for not having a drivers side mirror.

When I put a mirror in my drivers side door hole I never got pulled over.
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwww
Yes you do need to have doors on the vehicle but often the reason you get pulled over is because you do not have a drivers side mirror. Geminii in Vancouver/Surrey sell them for 30 bucks or so and they fit in the hole left by the door. It is $75.00 fine for not having a drivers side mirror.

When I put a mirror in my drivers side door hole I never got pulled over.
Yep, that's usually why they'll pull you over.

I have a couple of friends in both VPD and RCMP who are Jeep owners and have yet to ticket a doorless Jeep for driving doors-off. Usually the tix are for various other infractions (such as no mirror) but they have also said that they're willing to ticket and/or fine and/or order a VI for doors-off if they're pushed.

Think of it as graduated ticketing lol

INSTALLED:
5.5" home brew lift (BB + JKS ACOS/bastard packs + 1.5" Boomerang Shackles) | RE DBs + Adjustable UCAs & LCAs | JKS BPEs & Quicker Discos | Kevin's Offroad Trackbar | 33x10.50-15 BFG ATs | 15x7 Type 058 Eagle Alloys | RuffStuff Specialties HD Diff Covers | AA SYE | Modified Tom Woods driveshaft | LeBaron hood vents | Redline Hood Lift | B&M Tranny cooler | Reese Class III Receiver | 62mm bored TB | Borla Cat-Back Exhaust | C4x4 Fab Rear bumper & tire carrier | ORO Licence Plate relocation Kit | Kelley's WIP HD wiring upgrade | ZJ rear disc brakes | Stainless Brake lines | ARB front Bullbar | Orvis Edition Rear Spoiler

TO BE INSTALLED:
JKS Mini Skids | Rock Lizard Corner Guards | AEV/Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid | TnT Customs Unibody Stiffeners, HD Belly Pan & U-Bolt Eliminators

PLANNED:
ARB Roof Rack | Warn 9000lbs Winch | Warn Manual Hub Upgrade | Rock lights | 231 Wide Chain Kit, 2Lo, 4:1 | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | Snorkel | Dual Batteries | OBA
cdn_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
BCwrangler
Long time Jeep fan

One could get a set of safari doors if the cops start getting sticky.
BCwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
SV650
2007 JK Wrangler 

I figure some sort of half door installation should suffice. I'm thinking Element doors with enclosures painted to match the Jeep would draw little attention.

SV
SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
LMNOP
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's exactly as you put it, cdn. If given cause to.
If you're not doing anything that could be ticketted for, then you likely wouldn't be pulled over. If you're being a 'tard and are asking for trouble, then watch out.
I drive doorless & topless and it's never been a problem. I just try not to attract too much attention.
LMNOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

x2...I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_xj View Post
Yep, that's usually why they'll pull you over.

I have a couple of friends in both VPD and RCMP who are Jeep owners and have yet to ticket a doorless Jeep for driving doors-off. Usually the tix are for various other infractions (such as no mirror) but they have also said that they're willing to ticket and/or fine and/or order a VI for doors-off if they're pushed.

Think of it as graduated ticketing lol
I wholeheartedly agree. I have many friends in blue and never have they ever told me that they've pulled someone over just for not having doors. It always stems from either idiotic driving, no mirror (a direct infraction of the MVA that can't be argued), speeding, etc. The list goes on. But I've driven up to police officers houses for BBQ's and such with my doors off but mirror on and not a word is said. In fact, I've even wheeled Harrison and driven from downtown to there and back WITH a cop friend and not a word was said.

"graduated ticketing" is the best way to put it that I can think of too!

Now...onto more important issues: Who's for appealing to the rain gods to make it rain less here in B.C., the lower mainland especially, so that we can drive doorless more often? 9 days of warmth and sun good enough to run doorless each year isn't enough for me, personally speaking!

Last edited by VanBCguy; 07-28-2009 at 04:35 PM..
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #12
Hammurtime
1975 CJ5 

Well I have news for you guys! I just got pulled over in a seat belt check and the RCMP member gave me a $109 ticket for not having any doors on my Jeep and wants me to go through an inspection with the doors on and that’s another $115. I have been driving CJ 5's for 20 years now (my 5th jeep here) and never had a problem driving without doors.1975 CJ5 is what I got the ticket in. I will be disputing this so if anyone has news on the topic it would help me allot!
Hammurtime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #13
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammurtime View Post
Well I have news for you guys! I just got pulled over in a seat belt check and the RCMP member gave me a $109 ticket for not having any doors on my Jeep and wants me to go through an inspection with the doors on and that’s another $115. I have been driving CJ 5's for 20 years now (my 5th jeep here) and never had a problem driving without doors.1975 CJ5 is what I got the ticket in. I will be disputing this so if anyone has news on the topic it would help me allot!
You were in a CJ? Built prior to 1986? Yes, you were. Are you "fineable"? NO!
Read the link, go to court and tell them to stuff their own regulations you know where!
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle...able_doors.pdf

I researched this issue today on BB.BC4x4.com and made a post. I then called the cop friends of mine I mentioned in a previous post here and they looked it up. It's for sure true. CJ's exempt, but that's it.

As my BC4x4 post says, I've been pulled over twice in my TJ on the way to a trail-head with no doors (but I never just drive around town without them) and was sent on my way without a ticket. I'm really of the belief that it all depends on the over-all safety of your vehicle, your attitude and politeness and even furthermore, showing them that the sticker is where it is, that your owners manual shows how to remove the doors and that motorcycles, etc. are far more prone to injuries to people than Jeeps.

It's worked for me. Good luck to everyone.

P.S. - Not that I wouldn't like living in a warmer climate, but can you imagine how big an issue this would be if we lived in say...Arizona where it's sunny 250+ days of the year?

Last edited by VanBCguy; 07-27-2009 at 04:11 AM..
Unread 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Hammurtime
1975 CJ5 

Well I went to Chrysler and Ford inspection and they said if it has hinges for a door it has to be on. Looks like you need doors but I am still digging. Thanks for all the help guys.
Hammurtime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammurtime View Post
Well I went to Chrysler and Ford inspection and they said if it has hinges for a door it has to be on. Looks like you need doors but I am still digging. Thanks for all the help guys.
I don't know why Ford would say that, but a Chrysler stealership makes sense: they want your money at the parts counter!

Read the above posts and especially the page from the Gov't specifying that it can ONLY legally be CJ's built prior to 1986.

But...I still remain of the belief that if a person's driving SANELY and not breaking any rules of the road (speeding, etc.), then the law will leave you alone. At the very worst, plead ignorance and see where that gets you ("I didn't know officer! The doors come off so easily and there's this sticker here above the windshield and instructions in the manual...I thought they were meant to be driven without doors!").

Betcha it'll get you a warning at the most.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.