Planning my trek - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Planning my trek

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Planning my trek

I have posted a bit of my planned JeepTrek across Canada at one of our daughter-sites - http://www.trekboard.com and I just wanted to get some more ideas on trail-riding.

My plan is to tow my GF's tent-trailer across Canada to NewBrunswick. By the time we leave, I will be sporting either 32 or 33" aggressive road tires. We have 3 weeks with which to go from Calgary to NewBrunswick and back again.

Our plan is to head to Winnipeg the first day. Second day break into Ontario and try to reach somewhere around ThunderBay. From ThunderBay, we are planning on taking the north-route - from Highway 17 to Highway 11. We will pop onto the 101 for a short bit before we hop onto Highway 113 in Quebec to get to Chicoutimi.

At St.Simeon we will take the ferry across to Riviere-Du-Loup, then highway 2 down to Fredrickton.

We are planning our trip during the first 3 weeks of September 2007. One week out, one week in NewBrunswick (found some light offroading through maps there) and one week back towards Calgary again taking a bit of a southern route towards Montreal and Toronto.

What we are looking for are people along that route that we can meet up with in order to visit some "light offroading" with the basically stock Unlimited. Also, my french isn't all that great (I can read the back of a cereal box), so maybe having some french-speaking people along some of the french districts would help me converse with the locals.

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
muskoka
TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow sounds like quite a trip Vince.... if your comming through TO. and north look me up... I'm 1.5 hrs north of TO. on #11 "Muskoka" District of... I would love to meet you.. and go wheeling...
PM me and I will give you my 911 info

M
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #36
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your staying a fair piece north of me but sounds like your going to have a blast. If by chance you hook up with Musk TJ, make him show you his walleye hot spot. Cash reward offered.If you were coming in August, the jeep jamboree is around the 20'th of the month in the Kawartha's

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac

Last edited by rxl; 02-02-2007 at 02:53 PM..
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

WEll let us know when you're coming through... I can always make it up to north bay for some wheelin' although I dont know too many trails up there.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxl
Your staying a fair piece north of me but sounds like your going to have a blast. If by chance you hook up with Musk TJ, make him show you his walleye hot spot. Cash reward offered.If you were coming in August, the jeep jamboree is around the 20'th of the month in the Kawartha's

Didn't I read on the jamboree website that it was cancelled for 2007?
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The plans are coming along fairly well.

New back-bumper/hitch designed, CNC cut, CNC formed and welded/painted and installed. New adjustable trailer-hitch (10" lift to 8" drop). As soon as the weather is nicer, the trailer will recieve new bearings, new tires, a spare set of rims / tires, new rear-bumper with 2" reciever for an external carry-rack (see picture in my gallery of the rack on the back of my Unlimited).

I'll be installing a new RV battery into the trailer with solar-charger, re-decorate the inside (the trailer was mouse-eaten) and such. Time is going to be tight, but it is still on schedule for the beginning of September

Again - the JeepTour2007 is still open to others joining for the whole trip or a partial of it!

Unread 03-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sault Ste. Marie, ON, (first major city east of Thunder Bay).
Great Lakes FourWheel Drive Association holds yearly Gitchie Gummie Adventure here around mid-late September, trails from 1-5 ratings. It is a good sized event, and is held at a campground, a lot of Michigan Jeepers attend. You have to register online a couple of months before.

You will driving right by the campground on your trip, you might as well stay for a couple of days!

http://www.glfwda.org
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12
Sault Ste. Marie, ON, (first major city east of Thunder Bay).
Great Lakes FourWheel Drive Association holds yearly Gitchie Gummie Adventure here around mid-late September, trails from 1-5 ratings. It is a good sized event, and is held at a campground, a lot of Michigan Jeepers attend. You have to register online a couple of months before.

You will driving right by the campground on your trip, you might as well stay for a couple of days!

http://www.glfwda.org
I just checked google-maps and found that Sault Ste. Marie isn't on the trek-route towards the east-coast, but on the trek-route back from the east-coast. We would be passing through there during the third-week of September.

During the first week of September, we will head towards Nipigon and north on highway 11 towards Hearst, etc.

Unread 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
hiwatt504
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid
I just checked google-maps and found that Sault Ste. Marie isn't on the trek-route towards the east-coast, but on the trek-route back from the east-coast. We would be passing through there during the third-week of September.

During the first week of September, we will head towards Nipigon and north on highway 11 towards Hearst, etc.
Be aware!!!

This shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I used to live in Hearst and drove there many times from the west. There is NO GAS between Longlac and Hearst, about 90 min of highway milage. If you get off the highway and do some off highway driving be aware of that. There are a lot of very nice looking trails along this route, perfect for Jeep adventures. Just be sure that you bring a couple of jerry cans if you are going to go "play."

Also, this area is predominantly french speaking, you can get by with english but most of the drive between Nipigon and Cochrane are french speaking towns.

Enjoy the trip,
31x10.5x15
BANKS Cat-back
hiwatt504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow!! Sounds like an awesome trip. Ever consider going truely across Canada? Here in Newfoundland, we have a province wide old rail line. ATV users regularly cross from NS on the Ferry and make the trip from Port Aux Basque to Argentia for the return ferry. Usually takes them about 4 or 5 days. I have done some of the trip and it is great!!
Fogrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Due to time-constraints, we are planning to just reach the east-coast and put our feet into the Atlantic. My GF grewup in NewBrunswick, so we are going to visit her family out there.

I took my GF to BC where my family is and we dipped our feet into the Pacific last summer - her first time in the Pacific. It will be my second time dipping my feet into the Atlantic. We want to say that we have been coast-to-coast together .. (all together now .. awwww, that is romantic!) .. and it is a way for us to "test our relationship" because we are planning on doing it again, but it would be a trip around the northern hemisphere in Jeeps.

Unread 04-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
DeconsTructionJ

If you are coming to Fredericton shoot me a PM and we will go for a small wheelin trip!
Canadian Jeep Club Member #23

Sold My Rubicon, I will have another jeep someday
DeconsTructionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
mudgts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if you want, I can do a collection and gather you some Canadian Tire money for gas! You'll need it!!
canadian-tire-money.jpg  
mudgts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a picture from this morning .. Lac St.Jean in northern Quebec. Camped on the beach of this lake - its beyond huge! So, I had to make a big sign .. its about 25' long by about 3' tall
n542260119_464461_6437.jpg  

Unread 09-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Writing this from Barrie, Ontario .. its been a great trip so far!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.