Need places to see in Alberta - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Need places to see in Alberta

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Need places to see in Alberta

We'll be heading to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper -- then to Glacier -- then to Yellowstone -- then to Rocky Mountain NP in July.

We'd like to sight-see and get some dirt on the wheels. No rock-climbing, but not the regular tourist thing either.
Equipment is a 2008 JK Sahara, stock. Only add-ons are comfort and CB. Snap-strap, compressor, shovel, saw, axe, that kind of thing.

Any good roads to suggest?

Thanks.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Carob

Things to see in Alberta

Well to start with if your in the Banff and Jasper area I'd take the mountain pass between the two parks, hwy 93.
Second, you might want to check out http://www.safarioffroadpark.ca/ that will be about 4hrs east of Jasper though so it might be out of your way.
Drumheller, AB has a pretty big Dinosaur museum that is pretty cool and the Calgary Zoo and the Calgary Stampede are both worth seeing if you have the chance. As for wheeling, I'm still too new to the wheeling world to give you much more advice than that.

Where abouts are you coming from?
Carob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

We're coming up from north Georgia. We were thinking of going to the Stampede -- we love rodeo but don't like crowds too much...
The wife would really like to see some wildlife and take a bunch of pictures. I just like to drive and get dirty. Looks like we can both be happy.

Thanks so far.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Island4x4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=206

go camping there. I grew up going out there as a kid and its one of my all time favourite spots in western Canada

[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club Member # 1337[/COLOR]
Island4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island4x4 View Post
http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=206
go camping there. I grew up going out there as a kid and its one of my all time favourite spots in western Canada
Banff is going to be our "resort" stop on this trip --- my wife needs to be spoiled for a few nights. We've got a nice place booked already.
We'll be camping on the way there and then slumming/camping after.

We really can't wait. We always have a blast when we go to Canada and to the Rockies. We've always gone on the motorcycle or in the Mini Cooper though; it will be a totally different experience in the Jeep.

Unread 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
RckyMtnTJ

One highway I would recommend taking if you can is the Going to the Sun Road in Montana. I doubt it is on your way. It is a highway, but a georgous drive. It is in Glacier National Park. You might want to post on www.calgaryjeep.com They might have some good recommendations to wheel closer to Calgary.
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

It was AWESOME!
We did Banff, Kootenay, Yoho, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain, and a bunch of state forests, etc.
Wow.

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
zeedub

those would be provincial forests
zeedub is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.