It's the Law! In Ontario & Quebec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > It's the Law! In Ontario & Quebec

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

It's the Law? In Ontario & Quebec

Recent equipment-related posts in my Club about provincial motor vehicle laws / regulations and enforcement by police opened up a whole new area that I wasn't aware of! What an interesting / relevant subject for Jeep Wrangler owners. Good to be aware of this stuff. It'd be awesome if we had someone in this thread that was in law enforcement (traffic/motor vehicle) that could tell us how this stuff is interpreted from a police officer's perspective.

I searched in the following Ontario and Quebec publications and picked some equipment items from a few that caught my attention.

Regulations I found interesting as a Wrangler owner included:
- Opening of doors of motor vehicles
- mudguards and fenders
- mirrors attached to the vehicle
- bumpers
- handheld devices

Ontario, Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8 (PART VI EQUIPMENT)
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#bk104

Opening of doors of motor vehicles
165. No person shall,

(b) leave a door of a motor vehicle on a highway open on the side of the vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than is necessary to load or unload passengers. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 165

ie. Opening of doors of motor vehicles
Quebec, Highway Safety Code
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...2/C24_2_A.html

431. No person may leave the door of a road vehicle open except to take on or discharge passengers or to load or unload property. 1986, c. 91, s. 431

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Xride

Two things.

First, the opinions or interpretation of laws by an officer means squat. You want to know the judges interpretation.

Second. I don't know what you are getting at with your post? Are you trying to say that you can't go doorless? Because that is not even close to what that law says.

Mirrors.... you only legally need two mirrors. Be it the two side mirrors or a side mirror and rear view mirror.

Mud guards and fenders.... fenders have to cover the outside edge of the tire. Mud guards, thats more complicated, the body or guard must be to at least the center line of the axle, or there is some ratio of height off the ground and rear edge of the vehicle.

Bumper heights, Most places in the US are max of 24" (for passenger vehicles, you get a bit more height with heavier vehicles)
Canada, Alberta it's 50cm, or about 20" max to the main structural part. Quebec it's not legal to modify the height, Ontario is dependant on local laws. But to me it seems like it has to be more complicated. You also have headlight max height, which is about 1.2m if I remember right, measured from the ground to the lowest headlight (not fog light).
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ticket, a Warning or Not Stopping Me At All?

Wow, until yesterday's Club posts I had never questioned the legality of having my doors off on public roads---a ticket from the police for doing so never entered my mind! What a bummer. Even my Owner's Manual, Front Door Removal instructions say not to drive door-less on public roads.

"Do not drive your vehicle on public roads with the doors removed as you will lose the protection that they can provide. This procedure is furnished for use during off-road operation only."

The yet unanswered question for me now is, "What would a police officer do---a ticket, a warning or not bother stopping me at all?" I plan to run around town this summer without doors---in Quebec and Ontario (National Capital Region)

If, I'm cited for anything equipment-related on my Wrangler and a ticket is written up---I'm supposing that it'd be a hassle (time and money) to challenge. The Quebec and Ontario motor vehicle laws that I browsed through yesterday weren't easy for me to decipher.

In the end I think that I'll just drop by---or e-mail---the provincial police detachment or local city police and ask them. Most importantly ask them to point out the specific regulation or law that justifies a citation.
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 04-04-2014 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: minor edit
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 View Post
Wow, until yesterday's Club posts I had never questioned the legality of having my doors off on public roads---a ticket from the police for doing so never entered my mind! What a bummer. Even my Owner's Manual, Front Door Removal instructions say not to drive door-less on public roads.

"Do not drive your vehicle on public roads with the doors removed as you will lose the protection that they can provide. This procedure is furnished for use during off-road operation only."

The yet unanswered question for me now is, "What would a police officer do---a ticket, a warning or not bother stopping me at all?" I plan to run around town this summer without doors---in Quebec and Ontario (National Capital Region)

If, I'm cited for anything equipment-related on my Wrangler and a ticket is written up---I'm supposing that it'd be a hassle (time and money) to challenge. The Quebec and Ontario motor vehicle laws that I browsed through yesterday weren't easy for me to decipher.

In the end I think that I'll just drop by---or e-mail---the provincial police detachment or local city police and ask them. Most importantly ask them to point out the specific regulation or law that justifies a citation.

There is no law about removing your doors. The cops will do nothing, just keep your appendages inside the vehicle.
The warnings inside your owners manual are for liability.
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Here's My Findings

Over the past week+, I contacted local law enforcement...here's my findings.

WHO I CONTACTED:

Ontario
  • Ottawa Police Service
  • Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)

Quebec
  • Service de police de la Ville de Gatineau
  • Sûreté du Québec (SQ)

WHAT I LEARNED:

• Driving modified Jeep Wranglers on public highways or roadways? Rules and regulations can be found online for provincial traffic laws and driver safety guidelines (equipment-related too).
  • Rules and regulations applicable to public highways or roadways do not apply when off-road.
  • Neither Ontario or Quebec have restrictions for door-less Jeep Wranglers using public highways or roadways.
  • Law enforcement can issue a citation (ticket) if driver and / or passenger(s) are not secured safely in their seats and are at risk of falling out of an open door.
  • Law enforcement can issue a citation (ticket) if items/things (contents) within the vehicle are apt to fall / blow out of a door-less Jeep Wrangler (ie. into the path of other motorists).
  • Doors removed? Two mirrors are mandatory (one rear-view in front of driver and the other on the outside passenger-side of vehicle)

MY TAKE HOME:

The key message that police would like Jeep Wrangler owners / clubs to hear: Be familiar with the laws---but don't lose sight of the most important thing---public safety. Think safety first (driver / passengers / other motorists and users of public highways and roadways).

Side note: It's not unlawful to drive door-less---but when it comes to safety on on public highways or roadways, the likelihood of injury / harm is increased if doors are not used. Take heed from the experience of emergency first responders (police, fire and ambulance).

Side Note: Don't assume that an automotive services provider or dealership effecting modifications to your stock vehicle will know what's legal or illegal for public highways or roadways.

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 04-13-2014 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: minor edit

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.