health care - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > health care

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
I have no personal experience with this. It came about far before my time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Canada)

^ yea i read that every so often starting back over a year ago.

there is just so much propaganda because of politics from both the republicans & the democrats that its hard to know what is fact lol

thx for your replies & keep them coming

axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i still would like to get more information, thx
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Dawzz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Latest example

Went to emergency.
was seen within 15 minutes
had a battery of blood tests about 6 vials
ekg , ex ray, 2 doctors.

Referral to a Neurologist

total time spent 4 hours.

Total cost $0.00

Next day Family Doctor at 8:45 am
another set of blood work and glucose.
Still seeing the Neurologist

Total cost
$0.00
Dawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thx man, keep them coming
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

tell me more about these waiting lines.

how do they effect someone going in for something minor?

or a more serious situation like not life threatening but in a lot of pain?

or someone that needs immediate attention because of a life threatening situation?
Unread 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axehead View Post
tell me more about these waiting lines.

how do they effect someone going in for something minor?

or a more serious situation like not life threatening but in a lot of pain?

or someone that needs immediate attention because of a life threatening situation?
People needing immediate attention get immediate attention, with the occasional exception of a system overload (major incident, unusually busy day, etc). That is really just an inherent issue with any healthcare system, rather than public vs. private. You can only afford to have so many staff available at any one time.

Non life threatening patients are generally unimpressed with their wait time, but that's pretty much inevitable. You just can't break triage, especially in the ER. The problem is that most people feel their ailment is a lot more critical than it is. They're occasionally right, but more often than not dead wrong. Sitting around for a few hours in pain sucks, but paying 2x the tax (or 2x the bill) to provide 2x the hospital staff sucks worse.

Non-essential or non-time sensitive surgeries are probably the biggest problem. Wait times can stretch into the months in certain areas. Other times you can have it done the same week or the very next day. I understand that's somewhat less of a problem in the US, but then again, you are garunteed to get the surgery in Canada eventually.

Patients with minor issues are the bane of the ER. It's a problem everywhere, but less so in Canada than the US. Why? Because it's free to go see a regular doctor at a walk-in clinic, no apointment required. If you don't have insurance in the US and can't afford a doctor visit, the ER is about the only place you might be able to get a free check up.

Check out the healthcare system in Hawaii. It's not a true public system, but by requiring nearly every employer to provide healthcare insurance to its employees, it creates a similar result. Lower healthcare premiums, shorter ER wait times, etc. Food for thought.

Last edited by vohk; 01-29-2010 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: More answer.
vohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #22
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

some that are opposed to a single payer system claim that canadians come here to see doctors. is that true? and why?
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #23
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
some that are opposed to a single payer system claim that canadians come here to see doctors. is that true? and why?
Bit of a misleading statement. Two main reasons.

One, to get a surgery or treatment done sooner. Say your hip needs replacing, but it's not 'urgent' so the earliest you can be booked in is in 4 months. If you have a few grand burning a hole in your pocket you could possibly arrange to have the surgery done much sooner in the US. I say possibly; it isn't a given unless you feel like paying a large premium. It also really depends on the specific treatment needed.

Two, you have a rare/complex/difficult to treat condition. The Canadian healthcare system will certainly treat you, and we do have access to nearly any treatment you can think of. That being said, maybe most doctors are clueless about said condition and a very good one happens to live in the US (or France, Germany, etc). Or maybe there's an experimental treatment being tested at Hopkins. Or, heck, maybe you still have that burning hole in your pocket and want someone from the Mayo clinic to do the job. More than a few Canadians go to Europe for the same thing.

This is more a factor of the US having ~300mil people to Canada's ~30mil. Bigger country, more research hospitals and doctors. Assuming the US went to single payer system or the like, there would still be plenty of cutting edge research centers around to do the ground breaking work.

Not all that many Canadians do head south to see a doctor, and it's virtually unheard of for routine issues.
vohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

how does this compare?

a few weeks ago my knee flared up & i went to a clinic, i waited 2 1/2 hours! lol, the doc came in spoke to me for about 2 minutes then 30 minutes later a nurse came in gave me a shot & a prescription. it woked well my pain was gone the next day. but i had a long wait here in the US.
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is actually a great thread. I'll be following it. Keep it up.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
how does this compare?

a few weeks ago my knee flared up & i went to a clinic, i waited 2 1/2 hours! lol, the doc came in spoke to me for about 2 minutes then 30 minutes later a nurse came in gave me a shot & a prescription. it woked well my pain was gone the next day. but i had a long wait here in the US.
So 2 hours and 30 minutes is a long time? That is considered below average wait time at our local ER for non urgent issues. When I worked in KC, the average wait time was easily twice that.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
Dawzz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with the responses above.
With that said there are other reasons.
Some drugs and treatments are approved in the US and not here yet.

I know of Americans with full health care benefits going to Singapore and other countries due to their hospitals and how advanced the procedures are and how even then with much more personal care and private rooms it is cheaper.

It is a shame how much money goes through the American system and in Mexico yes Mexico you can get quality care and modern hospital for a fraction of the cost than in the US. Most of the doctors are American trained also

Yes Doctors and Nurses deserve a very good wage..... but to the corporations and drug companies need to turn the MASSIVE profits they do?

Look at nursing homes in the states and how much they charge Medicaid for the services... I know for a fact about how much money there is in that. Having worked for several years in the business in Alabama
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawzz View Post
I agree with the responses above.
With that said there are other reasons.
Some drugs and treatments are approved in the US and not here yet.

I know of Americans with full health care benefits going to Singapore and other countries due to their hospitals and how advanced the procedures are and how even then with much more personal care and private rooms it is cheaper.

It is a shame how much money goes through the American system and in Mexico yes Mexico you can get quality care and modern hospital for a fraction of the cost than in the US. Most of the doctors are American trained also

Yes Doctors and Nurses deserve a very good wage..... but to the corporations and drug companies need to turn the MASSIVE profits they do?

Look at nursing homes in the states and how much they charge Medicaid for the services... I know for a fact about how much money there is in that. Having worked for several years in the business in Alabama

Alabama? i live near Huntsville, where were you?
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
This is actually a great thread. I'll be following it. Keep it up.

i have more going on other message boards & have yet to find someone that flat out doesn't like it. its refreshing hearing it straight from the horse's mouth lol, without all of the propaganda.
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
Dawzz
2009 JK Wrangler 

@axehead
Born in Decatur grew up in Stevenson lived in Cullman and a few more and now in Canada.

I appreciate the health care greatly.
I do pay around 56.00 a month premium and higher taxes but hey it is worth it.
Thing is you guys do have to deal with the illegals etc that will clog it (like it doesn't happen now)

I don't mean go illegal hunting but that is an issue that needs dealt with first and fast, but that is a subject for another thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.