Doors off in B.C.? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Doors off in B.C.?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
BCJEEPJK

Doors off in B.C.?

Oes anyone know the rules in bc for drivibg without doors on? Or anywere i can find out?

BCJEEPJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
gwalker
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJEEPJK
Oes anyone know the rules in bc for drivibg without doors on? Or anywere i can find out?
I don't have a link handy, but the short of it is you can not do it unless if it came stock (old CJ) without doors.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The actual section of the Motor Vehicle Act is linked on BC4x4.COM.

The long and the short of it is this:
Vehicles that are manufactured with doors are REQUIRED to have said doors attached and on the vehicle. Period. The fact that the doors are made to be easily removed is irrelevant.

The only vehicles that can legally run doorless are those which were manufactured and sold with doors as an option. Note that this does not mean vehicles that have several different door styles available from the manufacturer (ie. YJ and TJ had full and half-door options). The spirit (and the wording and interpretation) of this section of the act is that the vehicle must have been available from the manufacturer with NO DOORS in standard trim. As noted above, the last vehicle which meets the criteria and can therefore LEGALLY drive doorless is the CJ.

That having been said, MOST police will not pull you over for running doorless providing you 1) have at least a driver's side side-view mirror attached and 2) are not driving around like a testosterone fuelled idiot with something to prove.

I used to own a YJ drove doorless for the better part of 11 summers and never got pulled over or ticketed for it. Then again, I didn't call attention to myself when I did.

INSTALLED:
5.5" home brew lift (BB + JKS ACOS/bastard packs + 1.5" Boomerang Shackles) | RE DBs + Adjustable UCAs & LCAs | JKS BPEs & Quicker Discos | Kevin's Offroad Trackbar | 33x10.50-15 BFG ATs | 15x7 Type 058 Eagle Alloys | RuffStuff Specialties HD Diff Covers | AA SYE | Modified Tom Woods driveshaft | LeBaron hood vents | Redline Hood Lift | B&M Tranny cooler | Reese Class III Receiver | 62mm bored TB | Borla Cat-Back Exhaust | C4x4 Fab Rear bumper & tire carrier | ORO Licence Plate relocation Kit | Kelley's WIP HD wiring upgrade | ZJ rear disc brakes | Stainless Brake lines | ARB front Bullbar | Orvis Edition Rear Spoiler

TO BE INSTALLED:
JKS Mini Skids | Rock Lizard Corner Guards | AEV/Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid | TnT Customs Unibody Stiffeners, HD Belly Pan & U-Bolt Eliminators

PLANNED:
ARB Roof Rack | Warn 9000lbs Winch | Warn Manual Hub Upgrade | Rock lights | 231 Wide Chain Kit, 2Lo, 4:1 | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | Snorkel | Dual Batteries | OBA
cdn_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
sammar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when mine was running i drove doorless never got pulled over or ticketed
sammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
BigSmoke
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm..

You brought up a good topic. You see, I have only owned my very first Wrangler, let alone, car-- for two days now. I thought it would be perfectly normal and legal to take the doors off too. Guess not, huh?

What kind of Doorless Side-View Mirrors do you guys recommend?

Bless,
Big Smoke
BigSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
BCJEEPJK

I don't know about the mirror relocation but I can tell you I drove without doors and with no mirrors a few times and I got pulled over once and was given a ticket for a cracked windshield. No mention of the doors our mirrors from him.
BCJEEPJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
daveyramone
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
You brought up a good topic. You see, I have only owned my very first Wrangler, let alone, car-- for two days now. I thought it would be perfectly normal and legal to take the doors off too. Guess not, huh?

What kind of Doorless Side-View Mirrors do you guys recommend?

Bless,
Big Smoke
Long-stem Harley-Davidson mirror slides perfectly into the LH upper door hinge on the body once the doors are removed. Threaded section goes through enough to get a washer and nut threaded on so the mirror doesn't move.

PN# 91910-90A for a black one. They also come in chrome.
Canadian Jeep Club Member #2
2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited
daveyramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
daveyramone
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of the chrome one I used on my old '03 Rubicon.
dscf0001.jpg  
Canadian Jeep Club Member #2
2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited
daveyramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
jimwww
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here in BC you will not typically get harassed but you do have to have a rear view mirror. 75.00 fine for not having one.
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyramone View Post
Here's a pic of the chrome one I used on my old '03 Rubicon.
THAT is a really slick solution!
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.