Doorless in Ontario? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Doorless in Ontario?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

Doorless in Ontario?

Anyone happen to know if it is legal to run doorless in Ontario with just the one rear view mirror on the windshield? I've tried searching but have come up with conflicting information and my google skills are not what they used to be

5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Mopar Fan

From the HTA:

Quote:
66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear.
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
hvymetal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Doorless in Ontario!

I spend all summer doorless and I have driven by many police cars. Never an issue.

The issue arises when you put your windshield down and take to the city streets. At that point you have no mirrors or windshield wipers. Both are against by-law.

I don't often do windshield down but when I do I've prepared what I would say to the officer if I were pulled over....I'd simply point out that the no mirrors and no windshield wipers by-laws exist to keep vehicles in a state of repair eg. not driving around in the rain or snow with broken wipers or mirrors. The spirit of the by-law is not at all captured in a Jeep driving stripped out under the clear summer skies.
hvymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Estenlobo

got stopped once a couple years ago on the 400 by OPP - no ticket, he just said to put mirrors on
Estenlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Luck881
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I confirmed what Mopar fan said with Upper Ottawa Valley OPP about 7 years ago. They told me as long as the view through the center mirror wasn't obstructed by a tire carrier or something that it was fine. Never had an issue up here with them, Pembroke City or the MP's. As long as Ottawa police don't have a hate on for Jeeps, you should be fine.
And I have been pulled over for lots of rediculous s#!t while doorless and lack of door mirrors has never been mentioned.

'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, 6 Spd, 2(+)" Procomp Lift, 33" GY Duratracs
'09 Ram QC SLT
Luck881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

awesome guys. Thank you very much!
5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Madweasel
2007 JK Wrangler 

good to know!
Madweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

No issues here either. I drive all summer doorless. I have my mirrors permanently mounted with relocation brackets and the filler plate in the door. I threw out the stock mirror assembly.

FYI the mirrors mounted with doors on though the passenger side is useless. Can't even see it. It's just there for decoration when doors on. But doors off they work great.

Law states 2 mirrors. You can have rear view and one side. Pretty sure anyways
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't run with the doors off that much but when i did all I had was the rear view. I have this thing called a neck that I can rotate
demonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been to ontario with my jeep from quebec, doorless havent had any problems with local law enforcement around the Ottawa area.

In quebec by law you need two rear view facing mirrors, so that can be a driver side mirror, plus your interior mirror.

To play it safe, get yourself a set of bicycle mirrors, the kind with the clamp for a handle bar, remove the clamp and just insert the threaded part into your doors hinge with a nut
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.