JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Canada (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f109/)
-   -   Doorless in Ontario? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f109/doorless-ontario-1357810/)

5foot19 04-17-2012 08:15 AM

Doorless in Ontario?

Anyone happen to know if it is legal to run doorless in Ontario with just the one rear view mirror on the windshield? I've tried searching but have come up with conflicting information and my google skills are not what they used to be :(

Mopar Fan 04-18-2012 09:27 AM

From the HTA:

Quote:

66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear.

hvymetal 04-18-2012 08:36 PM

Doorless in Ontario!

I spend all summer doorless and I have driven by many police cars. Never an issue.

The issue arises when you put your windshield down and take to the city streets. At that point you have no mirrors or windshield wipers. Both are against by-law.

I don't often do windshield down but when I do I've prepared what I would say to the officer if I were pulled over....I'd simply point out that the no mirrors and no windshield wipers by-laws exist to keep vehicles in a state of repair eg. not driving around in the rain or snow with broken wipers or mirrors. The spirit of the by-law is not at all captured in a Jeep driving stripped out under the clear summer skies.

Estenlobo 04-25-2012 10:37 PM

got stopped once a couple years ago on the 400 by OPP - no ticket, he just said to put mirrors on

Luck881 04-28-2012 07:10 PM

I confirmed what Mopar fan said with Upper Ottawa Valley OPP about 7 years ago. They told me as long as the view through the center mirror wasn't obstructed by a tire carrier or something that it was fine. Never had an issue up here with them, Pembroke City or the MP's. As long as Ottawa police don't have a hate on for Jeeps, you should be fine.
And I have been pulled over for lots of rediculous s#!t while doorless and lack of door mirrors has never been mentioned.

5foot19 04-30-2012 04:34 AM

awesome guys. Thank you very much!

Madweasel 10-27-2012 08:04 AM

good to know!

Wavedatya 11-18-2012 02:42 PM

No issues here either. I drive all summer doorless. I have my mirrors permanently mounted with relocation brackets and the filler plate in the door. I threw out the stock mirror assembly.

FYI the mirrors mounted with doors on though the passenger side is useless. Can't even see it. It's just there for decoration when doors on. But doors off they work great.

Law states 2 mirrors. You can have rear view and one side. Pretty sure anyways

demonz0 11-28-2012 06:20 PM

Didn't run with the doors off that much but when i did all I had was the rear view. I have this thing called a neck that I can rotate ;)

fang_x 02-13-2013 10:20 PM

Ive been to ontario with my jeep from quebec, doorless havent had any problems with local law enforcement around the Ottawa area.

In quebec by law you need two rear view facing mirrors, so that can be a driver side mirror, plus your interior mirror.

To play it safe, get yourself a set of bicycle mirrors, the kind with the clamp for a handle bar, remove the clamp and just insert the threaded part into your doors hinge with a nut

The time now is 02:31 PM.