Canadian jeeper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Canada > Canadian jeeper

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Canadian jeeper

Hey guys, I'm getting tired of my jk being stock and looking to make some initial upgrades. My question is, how struck are the cops up here in Canada about running stubby bumpers on the highway? I have heard a few stories about guys getting into some trouble for it. Also a buddy of mine sad something about a law being " your bumper must be as long or longer than original stock?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think it depends where in Canada you are. I am on Ontario and we have guys here that have very small front bumpers and had no issues. Most guys in our club have stubby bumpers and have never been bothered by any local police.
liveflatout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know its not Canada but in the USA the bumper has to cover the entire width of the front tires meaning a full width bumper. That being said most people still run stubbys and dont get into any trouble unless the cop is looking to write tickets.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome, cause I'm up in edmonton Alberta actually. I'm leanin towards a stubby cause if weight factor and the clearance. But I would like something a bit bigger to hold up to a deer hit. Decisions decisions!!

I appreciate your guy's feed back.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Runnin a stubby in Red Deer. Haven't had an issue
J33PNSL33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ya, i was thinking about getting rid of my stubby and getting a full width. Driving country roads i find some what scary since i have to worry about getting nailed in the corner by cars or deer and since there is no bumper, im sure it would be a devastating hit.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I personally don't see a stubby bumper being a problem with deer and accidents. If you hit a deer going back road speeds or highway speed and hit a deer or car I don't think a stubby or full bumper will make or break your jeep. Plus those plastic bumpers prob won't do much for that anyways.

We're lucky in Ontario vehicle modification laws are pretty relaxed.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I run a stubby bumper all the way across the country in NL. No issues so far, even with the high fender flares and rooster tails that come off the tires in the rain/mud. In my experience, cops are more concerned with window tint and people who drive like a-holes.

PS: check out www.northridge4x4.ca
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Ya, i was thinking about getting rid of my stubby and getting a full width. Driving country roads i find some what scary since i have to worry about getting nailed in the corner by cars or deer and since there is no bumper, im sure it would be a devastating hit.
Just make sure you hit the deer/other vehicle/pedestrian with the middle of your bumper ... should be good.
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Oh and FYI. If you collide with a deer always say the deer hit you. When you call it in say your car got hit by a deer. I've heard people get at fault for hitting animals. The deer entered your lane. Treat like you would a car coming into your lane.
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Man not gonna lie buying a jeep was the greatest feat yet. I am completely shocked at the response time and helpfulness of this forums members. Before owning a jeep I didn't get what people meant when they said " it's a jeep thing". Now the picture is becoming ever so clear. So I think I'm gonna scratch the expedition one full width and go with the psc brawler lite.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gane35
Man not gonna lie buying a jeep was the greatest feat yet. I am completely shocked at the response time and helpfulness of this forums members. Before owning a jeep I didn't get what people meant when they said " it's a jeep thing". Now the picture is becoming ever so clear. So I think I'm gonna scratch the expedition one full width and go with the psc brawler lite.
I've said it before and ill day it again. Best forum and members I've dealt with.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
BigMikeOfTO
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya

I've said it before and ill day it again. Best forum and members I've dealt with.
x2

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs
BigMikeOfTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.