Yet another tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Yet another tire question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yet another tire question

I'm throwing this in this section because it is the closest to my situation.

I just took over responsibility for maintaining our church van, a 2003 Chevy Express 2500 fifteen passenger van. The church bought it used about a year ago and someone got some "good cheap" new tires for it. We have about 6K miles on them.

I had someone take it in for maintenance and a thorough inspection by the local Chevy dealer, not a typical stealership, decent guys I went to school with. Got the report back with a warning that the new tires are not safe for the vehicle!

The techs acknowledged they were good tires, just not the right tires for the van. The tires on it are a 24575R16 "Standard Load" tire. Specs for the van call for a LT24575R16 E tire. From what I can determine a Standard Load tire is a four ply tire while the E designation means it should have a 10 ply tire.

I'm going to have to explain this to non car people who just want tires that are round and roll. The "Max Load" rating on the tires is 2403 lbs at 44 psi which works out to 9612 lbs. That's more than the gross weight of 8600 lbs of the van. How do I explain that doesn't relate to the load carrying ability of the tire at normal pressures? The recommended pressure on the door are 50 psi front and 80 psi rear, far more than these tires are capable of holding.

I'm also calling an inspector tomorrow to see if they would even pass it knowing the tire limitation. It passed once and is due again.

I'm already known as the guy that overbuilds everything. So I need to be able to explain this is a real problem and not just me wanting to prove a point. Any non-technical explanations would be great.

Thank you!

14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
alittleoff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ask them if they remember the difficulties the Ford Exploder/Firestone tires had.

Steve
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would recommend a simple explanation in terms they can relate to, such as this:

The current 4-ply "car" tires are not rated for a van that would often get loaded down with 15 passengers and all their gear; it really should have the proper 10-ply "truck" tires.

The cost of 4 new tires is relatively low, compared to the risk of a blowout at highway speeds with 15 people onboard.

Just my $0.02 - feel free to ignore.
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quick update, I found out last night that the church had requested and were told they were 10 ply tires. All agreed we need to correct before taking the van out again.

So, I will be calling the tire shop to find out what happened. Tires are clearly marked "standard load". Will see if they wont make it right.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post
Quick update, I found out last night that the church had requested and were told they were 10 ply tires. All agreed we need to correct before taking the van out again.

So, I will be calling the tire shop to find out what happened. Tires are clearly marked "standard load". Will see if they wont make it right.
Hopefully they'll do the right thing.
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well they didn't make it right. Owner told me the non car person that brought it in told them to put what was on it back on it so they did. He even acknowledged they weren't right but wouldn't do anything.

10 ply tires on order from local Chevy dealer. They were cheaper than wally world on the same tires and threw in an alignment.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Btw in my state, VA, you can get a ticket for underinflated tires. So if the door sticker says 60 and you only have 45, there's a moving violation ticket
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tires are on, ordered @ 445 on Friday and they called @ 900 Monday that they were in.

I will keep them at spec pressure, 55 front 80 rear iirc. That and using torque wrench on lug nuts are habits of mine.

Thanks.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.