WKII vs 1/2 ton - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

WKII vs 1/2 ton

So the wife is looking at upgrading from here Impreza to a more roomy vehicle. The two options we are looking at is a Hemi WKII or a 1/2 ton(no brand loyalty). We would like to be able to have the ability when going offroading to rent a uhaul trailer and tow our TJ with roughly 4 hours of highway driving. As mentioned above I have no brand loyalty and that being because I have never really been a truck guy so towing with a 1/2 is just as foreign to me as... idk, something foreign. That goes for towing in general. Any way, I'm looking for input to help us decide which route to go. Both vehicles give us the same results we are looking for regarding DD'ing, required interior space, etc. So the only deciding factor left is the towing ability.

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2015, 03:52 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think the truck will tow your TJ better than the WK because of the longer wheelbase. I think the WK with a HEMI will tow your TJ, but you may have more issues with trailer sway than you will with a truck. You may have issues with tongue weight as well because I don't think you have the option of a weight distribution setup with a uhaul trailer. All that being said, since your not truck people you may not like driving one every day. Before buying a truck make sure parking and traffic are part of your test drive.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewto...p?f=51&t=26137
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Thumbie
2008 WK 

Garage
The Jeep will be more comfortable for daily driving. The truck will be better for towing.

Trucks can be as comfortable with those upgraded interior packages, but they are also bigger and have slightly worse gas mileage. Do you do a lot of city driving? That would come into play. (I have a friend with a diesel pickup that lives in San Francisco. I don't know why he does it.)

Are you looking for a vehicle that CAN tow, or are you looking for a vehicle DESIGNED to tow?

I'm currently in the market for a hemi WK as well for towing my Miata to the track.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Four hours towing out east is probably not a big deal. However as said a truck will just tow better, and is what is on my list. My bother goes through trucks on a regular basis for his job (replaces them every 3 years), and a recent comment he made to me was that parking a truck will take time to get use to, but the current generation of trucks are very comfortable and polished over just ten years ago. He currently has a 2013 Hemi Ram and it's been his favorite truck so far.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer - Build

post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 PM
PacNW03tj

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A 1/2 ton chevy, ford or dodge can tow a TJ and trailer, but it won't really like to. It's ok for an occasional trip, but if you want something that will tow 6k lbs (Tj with trailer) comfortably, you will want a 3/4 ton. Which if you get a gas motor 3/4T, it won't really cost you much of a difference. My F250 diesel could barely feel it jeep and trailer back there.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 06:35 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I believe the Hemi WK2 is rated for 7500# towing. It'll certainly get the job done, though you'll likely feel it back there more than you would with a truck (especially a 3/4 over a 1/2).

Funny when my SIL was at based at Camp Lejune she grenaded her Wrangler motor (piston through the side of the block) about halfway back from home here near Philly).

I used my little brother's F250 and car carrier to pick it up cause my XJ wouldn't have really cut it. I didn't even notice it back there.

But recently when I was considering a truck vs a JKU as our second vehicle I realized I wouldn't want to drive a full size pickup everyday (especially crew cab, since we've got a couple of kids). It's BIG, lumbering, a PIA to park.

The WK2 drives/handles so well, and can do the pulling a couple of times per year. That's the way I'd lean.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 04:22 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A 1/2 ton pickup is a lot different vehicle than a WK. I think you ought to go back to the drawing board to be sure she knows what she wants.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 PM
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

After towing with my 2014 Chevy 1500 (20' trailer with my TJ) I would never consider towing with anything smaller. I couldn't imagine using a WK with a shorter wheel base and a much smaller tow rating trying to pull a trailer and TJ comfortably. Even my 1500 can be picky on tongue weight - but once it's set right, the thing tows like a caddy and you don't even know the trailer is behind you while pulling unless you need to do a hard stop without trailer brakes. However, my normal setup has trailer brakes. The truck does suck driving in the city to park, but overall a new 1500 probably gets as good or better of gas mileage as a WK. With that being said, my truck sits parked 95% of the time besides occasional short trips (I rent cars for long trips) or wheeling trips. Otherwise I drive my ZJ or TJ when its nice.

-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee
2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.