Wireless trailer tester - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Wireless trailer tester

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
DocAdams1
1978 CJ5 

Wireless trailer tester

I am thinking about building a wireless trailer tester and would like some feedback.

Before I describe the idea this is to test the trailer without the tow vehicle.

Power in via 12v source
out via 7 way blade

To use it all you would need to do is connect power and the trailer plug to the unit. Turning on and off of the circuits would be via a hand held controller. I have built several testers in the past and I think this is the way to go.

I am not looking to sell them at this time, but I would like some feedback on the concept. I have posted similar messages on other forums I read. Please do not hold back if you like the idea or dislike it let me know. Thanks in advance.

DocAdams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Indy

9v battery i stead of 12, whole thing can fit in your hand.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
DocAdams1
1978 CJ5 

The reason I wanted 12v was because trailers with electric brakes and aux 12v circuits need it to operate correctly. The way I am thinking of doing the tester will be a box that is connected to the trailer plug and a wireless hand piece that can control the box.

Having a test box is convenient, but having a wireless controller would make it easier for one person to use.
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I just connect to the tow rig and check everything by walking around.

You can get a small 12v battery but they are low amps so you need to know the minimum for the brakes to operate.
thantos858 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
DocAdams1
1978 CJ5 

I was thinking about using a jump box for power. If I am just checking lights before a trip I would just walk around as well. As it is though I tend to check several trailers at a time before we use them. Most of the trailers are only used once or twice a year so field mice like to play electrician. You bring up a good point though.

Anyone know the minimum amperage to operate the ebrakes? On my trucks it is a 20-30amp fuse so I take it that somewhere around there is the max. My guess would be 5-10amps to get movement.
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
DocAdams1
1978 CJ5 

Just a quick update...
The electric brakes on my trailers operate fully at less than 10 amps.

I am currently mocking up the box for those that are interested. I am mounting everything inside a plastic ammo can. I did some looking and that seems to be a popular case for various companies as well. I am sure that pretty much all the companies have similar products. The cost of these test boxes range from 100-200, but none are wireless.

The box will have storage for the power cables, wireless remote, and adapters. If anyone is interested in building one I will send you a parts list when I have finished.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.