Where do you recomend I get my trailer Hitch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
dilbertbert
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you recomend I get my trailer Hitch

I'm looking for a trailer hitch for a 2000 Jeep Wranger. Any recommendations for websites to check out? I'll just be pulling a little 4X8 trailer and I want a 2" receiver. class II or III.

I'd be interested in a used one also.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.

Christian Jeep Group Member #143
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Class II is for hitch mounted bicycle racks. Class III is for towing trailers and off-road recovery.

Try www.e-trailer.com and www.jcwhitney.com

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
ajmorell

Class II is also not 2" square. Class 3+ are 2" square. As for where to get one, if you aren't convinced on something brand new I would check your local junk yards, I got my hitch for $20. It had to be cleaned up but for the price it was well worth it.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Longspoon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

also check the yellowpages under trailers... support your local businesses...

Join these groups...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

"I'm not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn't want to spend
the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me." MH

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect. - CR
Finally, a word to those of you out there who have yet to be offended by something I have written or said: Please be patient. I am working as fast as I can. - AC
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
dilbertbert
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered one from JCWhitney, It arrived yesterday and I hope to put it on this weekend. Would have like to bought it locally but everyone was WAY too high. Cheapest one I found local was $200. Local wrecking yards didn't have one either.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.

Christian Jeep Group Member #143
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 PM
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

got one for an 88 at Advance Auto Parts. shipped to the the store in 2 days and took about an hour to install. I think I paid $125. Universal wiring kit was about $10.-$15. and took an hour or two and a manual with wiring diagrams. Already had drawbar and ball but they would run about $35 I guess. Nothing was real hard, just read directions.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
chadsmeltzer

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Class II is for hitch mounted bicycle racks. Class III is for towing trailers and off-road recovery.

Try www.e-trailer.com and www.jcwhitney.com
I realize this thread is old (it just got bumped back up) but my class II is rated for 3500 pounds. That is plenty enough for a TJ, being that the tow rating is only 2,000 pounds.

However, it is only a 1.25" receiver. You can still use a 2" ball though.

04 TJ - 2 KC Daylighters, 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlar, 3" coils, Rear 4 link, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33 Eng. Hi-Clearance Skid, 8.8 with LS, D30 EZ locker, OBA
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
MuddyJeepZJ

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For future reference a new bumper with a hitch receiver built in would be a much better purchase.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2003 Dodge Ram 3500

post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 AM
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyJeepZJ View Post
For future reference a new bumper with a hitch receiver built in would be a much better purchase.
Check to be sure a bumper is Tow-Rated. Some bumpers have a 2" Receiver built yet they DO NOT reccomend towing. It is there for recovery and bike/cargo racks only. This is probably an insurance issue for the bumper company but it may also be an issue for the Jeep owner.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
chadsmeltzer

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsrtr View Post
Check to be sure a bumper is Tow-Rated. Some bumpers have a 2" Receiver built yet they DO NOT reccomend towing. It is there for recovery and bike/cargo racks only. This is probably an insurance issue for the bumper company but it may also be an issue for the Jeep owner.
It is 100% for insurance reasons. It is very expensive for them to get it tow rated, and if somebody did tow with it and something happened they don't want to be respoinsible.

But think about it. What is more stressful, towing a <2,000 pound load (TJ tow rating) down the street or yanking repeatedly on a >4,000 pound vehicle that won't budge. If I couldn't trust it to tow, there is no way I would trust it for the smallest recovery.

04 TJ - 2 KC Daylighters, 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlar, 3" coils, Rear 4 link, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33 Eng. Hi-Clearance Skid, 8.8 with LS, D30 EZ locker, OBA
post #11 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer View Post
It is 100% for insurance reasons. It is very expensive for them to get it tow rated, and if somebody did tow with it and something happened they don't want to be respoinsible.

But think about it. What is more stressful, towing a <2,000 pound load (TJ tow rating) down the street or yanking repeatedly on a >4,000 pound vehicle that won't budge. If I couldn't trust it to tow, there is no way I would trust it for the smallest recovery.

I understand what you are saying and it is probably capable of pulling a trailer. My point was; will the Jeep owners auto insurance cover any mishap while towing with a mount not rated for towing? Hopefully, there will never be a need to find out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.