What rigs ayou guys using to flat tow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What rigs ayou guys using to flat tow?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What rigs ayou guys using to flat tow?

Long story short, I bought a 96 f-150 to flat tow my jeep with occasionally and it just isn't enough. Its a shortbed standard cab as well. It pulls ok i guess, can maintain 55-60 until I hit hills with the 4.9L. Anyway towing on the highway the TJ tends to push the f-150 around too much for my liking. So I am selling the 150 and getting something else and was wondering what you guys were using to flat tow and how your setup works.

I would be looking for something around the 96-2000 years. I understand my biggest problem with flat towing is the lack of tongue weight. So, for you guys that flat tow, what are you using and how does your setup work? I have reay been looking into a dodge RAM 2500.

And on a side note, I know that a trailer would be best but I won't be towing enough to justify a trailer and have absolutely no place to store it (live in apartment complex)

Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use my 06 dodge ram 1500, works great.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Put 400 pounds of sand (5 bags) in the bed. It'll slow the acceleration a bit but that Jeep will track real nice behind you.
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

never put my jeep on a trailer but i've hauled other cars on a flat deck/gooseneck trailer but it was with a F350 Dually and a Single wheel F250, both diesel. like wilson1010 said, put a few sandbags in your bed or place your jeep right in the middle of the trailer (takes a lot of time for me personally with any car, but im a rookie) and two strapped down sand bags in the front of the trailer and two in the back and strap them down too. i personally notice the trailer pull smoother and with the single wheel it doesn't bounce much when im hauling something heavy.

if you're looking into a truck, i'd personally say go diesel. A nice Ram 2500 with a 5.9L 12V cummins would do you really well.
kingplay334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will a few sandbags really make that much of a difference? Would some sandbags make my F-150 a capable tow rig? Like I said my main problem towing with it is it feels like the jeep is pushing the trucks rear end around in curves on the highway. I was thinking having a short wheelbase was the problem. Will a longer wheelbase help reduce the problem?
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_91 View Post
Will a few sandbags really make that much of a difference? Would some sandbags make my F-150 a capable tow rig? Like I said my main problem towing with it is it feels like the jeep is pushing the trucks rear end around in curves on the highway. I was thinking having a short wheelbase was the problem. Will a longer wheelbase help reduce the problem?
The perfect flat tow rig has significant weight on the rear axle and a long wheelbase. You have neither. The weight in the bed will make an unbelievable difference in the highway handling of your truck. Would it be better to have a long wheelbase and a lot weight? Sure! My K2500 Suburban is the ultimate flat tow rig because it is essentially a 3/4 Ton Chevy long bed with 1000 pounds in the bed (the Suburban body, seat and top).

But you just need to try this very economical solution and if you still don't feel comfortable, then look for a 454 Burb.
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
ceichicon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

towed mine about 500 miles round trip a couple of weekends ago with a 1500 05 suburban pulled like a champ make sure the tow bar is level though
ceichicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, thanks for the information. I think either way I am going to sell my 150 and get something a bit longer, and bit bigger (hopefully a 3/4 ton), something with a 8 cylinder, and something with 4wd. I could probably make this truck work but its missing some other features that I would really prefer like an extended cab because this will be my daily driver during the cold months.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

get a F250 Ext.cab long box or CCLB.
kingplay334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
swright227
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I pull my 88 YJ with a Ford F350 dually. I can pull about 4 of them with it.
swright227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I actually agree with wilson, look for a suburban, I know someone that tows with and excursion also and they seem to like it.
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The perfect flat tow rig has significant weight on the rear axle and a long wheelbase. You have neither. The weight in the bed will make an unbelievable difference in the highway handling of your truck. Would it be better to have a long wheelbase and a lot weight? Sure! My K2500 Suburban is the ultimate flat tow rig because it is essentially a 3/4 Ton Chevy long bed with 1000 pounds in the bed (the Suburban body, seat and top).

But you just need to try this very economical solution and if you still don't feel comfortable, then look for a 454 Burb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
I actually agree with wilson, look for a suburban, I know someone that tows with and excursion also and they seem to like it.
I agree with both of these. I flat tow with my 3/4-ton Suburban, and it's a lot better than a 1/2 ton truck - more weight on the rear end so the Jeep pushes it around less, and the 3/4-ton trucks tend to have better brakes as well. I wouldn't recommend a 1/2-ton Suburban as it won't have the braking capacity that you'll want flat-towing the Jeep.

Mine is the 8.1L, rather than the 454. They stopped making it in '05 or '06.

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Dodge 2500 Diesel here tow great--with or w/o the camper
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Maineshootah
Certified "Brain Surgeon"

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona or Maine, depends on the day
what is everyone using for a tow hitch/package to connect to their jeeps when towing them?

My 95 YJ cross country (AZ to ME) frame swap thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/maineshootahs-cross-country-95-yj-build-1487587/
Maineshootah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineshootah View Post
what is everyone using for a tow hitch/package to connect to their jeeps when towing them?
If you're referring to the tow bar, there are numerous options out there that generally fall into 2 categories: Fixed length A-frame tow bars and Telescoping-Arm tow bars.

The telescoping-arm tow bars are much easier to hitch up, and collapse into a smaller space for storage when not in use. They also tend to stay with the tow vehicle, rather than the Jeep, when you detach from the tow vehicle.

Fixed length A-frame tow bars are somewhat more difficult to hitch up (still managable, but easier if you have 2 people), and they stay attached to the Jeep when you detach from the tow vehicle.

The fixed A-frame tow bars also tend to be a lot less expensive. I've had both over the years, and I decided that the premium price for a nice Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain was worth it to me. Is has an upgraded locking mechanism that makes it easier to detach the Jeep in off-camber situations such as dirt roads or uneven campgrounds. If you stop to detach the Jeep somewhere where you're on uneven ground, the towbars can sometimes be bound up and hard to detach without moving the whole rig backward and forward.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.