What kind of tow rig do you have? - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What kind of tow rig do you have?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #406
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
The TJ and CJ manuals explicitly say not to tow them on a dolly, and the general concensus is that doing so would damage the transfer case, even in neutral.

Does the XJ manual specify otherwise? Have you had any trouble with this setup?
I don't have a manual for the XJ so I don't know what it states. I spent alotta time on JF and the www making sure it was a doable option for transporting the XJ and found lots of mixed/misinformation. I came to the conclusion that the NP231 on a 2001 XJ has true neutral, disengageing the front and rear drive lines both from the drive train as well as each other, therefore can be dollied. I don't pull my rear shaft - tcase in N, tranny in P, parking brake off, key out of ignition to lock steering. I've had zero issues.

The reason I say I don't think it's ideal is obvious wear on the Jeep's tires, and really any other moving part for that matter. Backing up is not an option without mad skills; God forbid I break something on the XJ and the dolly may be rendered useless; and the XJ sometimes wants to sway in this set-up especially on highway in turns with any cresting or bottoming of hills - nothing severe but still somewhat nerve rattling. I just like the idea of a more stable, trailered set-up. The question for me at this point is how will the 4.7 WK like it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #407
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

I don't have a manual for the XJ so I don't know what it states. I spent alotta time on JF and the www making sure it was a doable option for transporting the XJ and found lots of mixed/misinformation. I came to the conclusion that the NP231 on a 2001 XJ has true neutral, disengageing the front and rear drive lines both from the drive train as well as each other, therefore can be dollied. I don't pull my rear shaft - tcase in N, tranny in P, parking brake off, key out of ignition to lock steering. I've had zero issues.

The reason I say I don't think it's ideal is obvious wear on the Jeep's tires, and really any other moving part for that matter. Backing up is not an option without mad skills; God forbid I break something on the XJ and the dolly may be rendered useless; and the XJ sometimes wants to sway in this set-up especially on highway in turns with any cresting or bottoming of hills - nothing severe but still somewhat nerve rattling. I just like the idea of a more stable, trailered set-up. The question for me at this point is how will the 4.7 WK like it.
Just FYI - my LJ has the NV231, which is the same as your NP231. And the manual says not to dolly-tow the NV231.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #408
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Just FYI - my LJ has the NV231, which is the same as your NP231. And the manual says not to dolly-tow the NV231.
This is exactly the "mixed" information I was refering to. Like I said - I've had no issues. Does your manual say why it isn't to be done? I know with XJ's there was some years that N on the tcase actually locked f/r together in neutral. My f/r are independent when tcase is in N.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #409
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The only way to ride.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #410
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
The only way to ride.

I do like having the toys inside, though I can't carry two the way you can.

Unread 10-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #411
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Though... flat towing does have it's place as well...

Unread 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #412
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'd love to have a big toy hauler, but then I still need to have a bumper pull (or some smaller trailer) for day trips and such. Same with the RV. I nice class C would be great, but I'd still have to keep the pickup unless I want to haul to local(ish) parks with the RV for the day.

The only reason I ended up with the gooseneck was I found it for a great price. Only about $1000 more than I was expecting to spend on a 10k bumper pull and I can haul 2 to the mountains.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #413
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I'd love to have a big toy hauler, but then I still need to have a bumper pull (or some smaller trailer) for day trips and such. Same with the RV. I nice class C would be great, but I'd still have to keep the pickup unless I want to haul to local(ish) parks with the RV for the day.

The only reason I ended up with the gooseneck was I found it for a great price. Only about $1000 more than I was expecting to spend on a 10k bumper pull and I can haul 2 to the mountains.
That's very cool. There are so many good options available, it's hard to choose just one.
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #414
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No pictures of it hooked up. 2001 cummins 5 speed

penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #415
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

My old truck 2004 F250 5.4V8

My new truck 2011 F250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #416
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Only picture I have of my 2011 duramax and 18' trailer. I'm looking to get a truck camper but I want a black or just dark color camper.img-20121020-00059.jpg

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #417
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

last years set up in the pic. over the winter the truck got a fully built transmission and a fleece cheetah turbo. i plan on taking 2 jeeps on a gooseneck regularly this year.

ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #418
MuttJockey

Past--Coleman Niagara Pop-up (4K lbs.) and 2000 Ford Expedition 4.6L 4X2 (Tow capacity 6K)
Present--Keystone Outback 268RL (8000 lbs. "wet") and 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X2 (Tow capacity 10.3K)
Future--Shopping for a '12 or'13 Thor (Brand) 28Z w/ 5K tow capacity and a '13 JK to flat tow (~3800 lbs)

As an added comment, I notice that while there are some 1/2 ton trucks used to haul various Jeeps (notably Wranglers), most are 3/4 ton and up. The reason for this is that a decent trailer to put even a Wrangler on weighs 2000 lbs or more, making a total load of near or more than 6000 lbs. I would not have towed that with the Expedition noted above, and this is why I would flat tow one with the RV we are looking at. I won't get into the dolly tow discussion since I've never done it.
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #419
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

just picked this up about a week ago.

2000 Ford f350 with the 7.3 powerstroke and ZF6 6 speed hand shaker

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #420
Desertwheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

18' Custom PJ Buggy Hauler w/Dual brake 7500lb axles. 2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel w/ Duramax tuner PCM operated by Edge moniter, 4in exhaust, Banks intake, rear swaybar, Timbrens, EGR block off plate.
2001 Cherokee Sport, 4.5 RC Longarm, 33 Duratrac's, SYE, 4:56's, Front HP30 w/Lockrite, Autopals- Sold
Desertwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.