What kind of tow rig do you have? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What kind of tow rig do you have?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE]So my question to all of you, is what kind of truck are you using to tow your TJ? I'm leaning towards a Tahoe, but I'm not sure of it's towing capabilities.
[QUOTE]

The tahoe would be fine. I've got an 02 regular cab short bed, ( same wheelbase as a tahoe) and it pulls the jeep on my trailer just fine. Trailer weighs about 1900 lbs plus jeep is well within my truck's 7200 lb towing capacity. My truck's got the 5.3 liter and plenty of power. It came with 3.42 gears instead of the 3.73 and I can't tell a difference. Would be nicer to have the 3.73 for taking off, but not a big deal.

Unread 01-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2006 nissan titan 5.6L V8, more than enough pulling power, wish i wold have gotten 4wd, other than that no regrets, using a 2005 18ft+2ft dovetail trailer
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
The only recommendation I have is if you get a 1/2 ton vehicle (Tahoe) then get a trailer with brakes. You should have them either way but you definitely want them with a 1/2 ton vehicle!
I think in most states, trailer brakes are required for anything over a few thousand pounds.

Also, i dont get the size difference form 1/2 to 3/4. I see your specs below, but a 6ft bed is a 6ft bed,m and a crew cab is a crew cab. I've never noticed that a 3/4 has larger body specs. On that note, having a truck as a DD in the city is a blast. Parking anywhere on a friday night is not fun. it's hard enough finding spots to parallel park a Geo Metro, let alone a 19' pickup.

That said, mine is a Dodge 1500 5.7. It gets the job done. Towed to NC this past fall without any problems. Got 11 and change for mileage. not bad IMO for 15 hours of driving through flat roads and some good mountains. I'll probably go for the 3/4 next time around, assuming the wallet approves. Altohugh, if the 1/2 diesels are attractive, I might give that a shot.

Here she was the morning after...

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have an 02 Dodge 2500 qc 8' bed with the diesel. I wanted a short bed because I drive it every day in crowded suburbs, but the deal I got on this truck was way to good to pass up. I've learned to just park at the end of the parking lot and walk a little more. If I want to party in the city, I just take the train. The 8' bed is growing on me. I can fit a 10 foot johnboat in it without hanging off the tailgate, and I can fit two ATV's to split the fuel cost of going riding without having to use my trailer.

I have a few basic mods to the engine (Edge chip, exhaust, intake, j-hooked wastegate) and I like being able to just set the cruise at 70 and relax in the A/C while it comfortably holds 70 in OD on even the longest grades on I-81. My 10K trailer is 2200 lbs, my Jeep is a fat pig somewhere around 4300lbs and sometimes I have an ATV with me too so I'm not exactly traveling light. It also gets better mileage towing my Jeep than my 2500 Hemi did empty.

I didn't think I needed a diesel to tow until I towed with a gasser.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
I think in most states, trailer brakes are required for anything over a few thousand pounds.

Also, i dont get the size difference form 1/2 to 3/4. I see your specs below, but a 6ft bed is a 6ft bed,m and a crew cab is a crew cab. I've never noticed that a 3/4 has larger body specs. On that note, having a truck as a DD in the city is a blast. Parking anywhere on a friday night is not fun. it's hard enough finding spots to parallel park a Geo Metro, let alone a 19' pickup.

That said, mine is a Dodge 1500 5.7. It gets the job done. Towed to NC this past fall without any problems. Got 11 and change for mileage. not bad IMO for 15 hours of driving through flat roads and some good mountains. I'll probably go for the 3/4 next time around, assuming the wallet approves. Altohugh, if the 1/2 diesels are attractive, I might give that a shot.

Here she was the morning after...

Two things - the crew cab on the F250 is WAY larger than the one on our old King Ranch F150 and the hood is about a foot longer also! Trust me - there's a HUGE difference.

Nice lookin' truck by the way - I like that blue. Me and the wife are thinking about looking into a Dodge when the F250 is ready to go. I really like that Mega Cab and I personally like the Cummins better then the IH in my Ford. I did hear that ford might be doing something with someone else though so we'll see what happens - I do like the look of the new Ford's though and 650 lb ft of torque sounds fun!

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #21
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trust me - there's a HUGE difference.
I wasnt doubting you. i had just never even considered they'd be different.
Quote:
Nice lookin' truck by the way - I like that blue. .... I really like that Mega Cab and I personally like the Cummins better then the IH in my Ford.
Thanks. It looks better when clean. After 16 hours of driving and trips up and down 2 dirt mountain roads, she's seen better days.

As for the Mega, you better get moving on this. IIRC, it's not going past 08. When the redesigned 09 rolls around, they're dropping the Mega for a Crew, which will be smaller. I was looking forward to one in a few years too. It's like a freakin limo back there.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #22
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I wasnt doubting you. i had just never even considered they'd be different.
Roger that...

Quote:
Thanks. It looks better when clean. After 16 hours of driving and trips up and down 2 dirt mountain roads, she's seen better days.

As for the Mega, you better get moving on this. IIRC, it's not going past 08. When the redesigned 09 rolls around, they're dropping the Mega for a Crew, which will be smaller. I was looking forward to one in a few years too. It's like a freakin limo back there.
It'll be probably 4-5 years before I'm ready to move out of our current truck so we'll see what's available then - of course we're waiting for the kids to get out of school and then I wouldn't need a Mega Cab!

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #23
jcm11881
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input everyone. A question to those with a Tahoe or Yukon or similar chevy, While towing on the highway, is it a struggle in the mountains to stay at highway speeds?
jcm11881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm11881
Thanks for all the input everyone. A question to those with a Tahoe or Yukon or similar chevy, While towing on the highway, is it a struggle in the mountains to stay at highway speeds?
Not having driven at all in the mountains and just the hills here in MO, I would say YES it will be difficult to keep up at 65 mph. You don't want to overwork the transmission and it would have to shift a lot to keep up to 65 or even 55mph. The 5.3 liter can pull the jeep just fine on flat somewhat hilly roads, but if you've got a lot of mountain hills to climb a lot, you'll want some more truck.
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those late model engines like to rev. You will have to downshift and drop to 55-60 on the hills but as long as the trans isn't hunting for gears you won't hurt anything.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #26
Fred99TJ

I used to tow with a 1993 GMC 4x4 and the 350 in it was a DOG especially up hill. I was towing an XJ then though and thats heavier than a TJ. I now have a TJ and I tow with an.......OVERKILL......2001 Dodge Ram 3500 2wd. This is also my DD and I have adjusted. It does take more space to park and it is easier to back in but I wouldn't trade my cummins for anything.....
Fred99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
FourEyes45
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We have a 05 Chev.DMax,4door,short bed that we were towing our 32'5th.wheel with--We bought a Slidin camper Friday and will tow our new 08-unlimited 4 door Rubicon(when it gets here) out West this summer.
Have a great and safe weekend,
Walter
FourEyes45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
03blackfx4

I've got a 08 F-350 Crew Cab 6.5' bed 4x4 with the V-10 and 4.30 gears. I can tell you it pulls plenty fine and isn't that bad on fuel (but then I don't pay for it), this is my 2nd V-10 and I can tell you i'd take my 10 over a powerstroke anyday, cheaper to maintain, there are gas stations all over and it's super quiet, it costs me less to run this then my friend who has the same truck w/ a powerstroke, this is gapped over 120K miles of driving. I'm running a leveling kit a 35" BFGs which helped the RPMs a bit on the highway.
03blackfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #29
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my dad just got a 2007 ford f150 built with a cummins 6.4L turbo diesel! great rig!!
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More info?! Assuming it wasnt off the assembly line? What's the engine out of? No weight issues with the 1/2 front end?

I'm pretty pumped to see the diesel 1/2 dodge. The numbers on the engine put the 0-60 only .2 second slower than the HEMI, with all the advantages of a diesel.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.