What kind of tow rig do you have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What kind of tow rig do you have?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
jcm11881
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of tow rig do you have?

A few months ago, I made the move away from my TJ being a Daily Driver, and got myself a 95 XJ. Its been nice to have something that is a bit more comfortable and much quicker to drive regularly. And when I start to miss the TJ, its right there in the driveway, ready to go.

But I'm now thinking of going a step further, and getting a DD that will double as a tow rig. As i get more serious with the TJ, I fear being stuck with it at the trail and no way to get it home.

So my question to all of you, is what kind of truck are you using to tow your TJ? I'm leaning towards a Tahoe, but I'm not sure of it's towing capabilities.

Thanks for the help.

jcm11881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
03Wrangler

I use a Ford f-250 and a 10,000 lb trailer behind it...

It is also my dad's and is REALLY over kill for the jeep, we use it to haul farm machinery around...

F-150 hauled it down to NC from NY last year... no problems, plenty of power, even with the smallest V8 ford hard in 2005... so don't be afraid of f-150's they can haul ALLOT and there was no problems stopping...

just get a towing vehicle that's towing rating is capable of towing the jeep and dolly/trailer, and you should be set
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Tahoe is a wonderful all around vehicle.

I have not towed the Jeep with it yet, but my work truck is a 99 Chevy K2500 4x4. Like you, I prefer to keep my Jeep in the garage for when I WANT to use it instead of when I NEED to use it.

My truck has 166k miles on it, so I probly won't tow the Jeep very far and if I am wheeling close to home, I will probly just drive the Jeep. My thought, like yours, is in a couple years get a nicer work vehicle or just get myself a nicer daily driver that will tow the Jeep to Michigan to the sand dunes when I go.
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a Ford guy at heart so I have an F250 and before that an F150. The only recommendation I have is if you get a 1/2 ton vehicle (Tahoe) then get a trailer with brakes. You should have them either way but you definitely want them with a 1/2 ton vehicle!

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
motobob13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We tow a heavy wakeboard boat with the Tahoe. It tows great and is one comfy ride. Likes to stop and visit gas stations though.
motobob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

'06 F-250 Diesel and a 16' car hauler, I like overkill By the time you figure in Jeep(4200 lbs +), trailer (1500 lbs), and gear I'm probably right at 6K. It's nice to be able to go with the flow of traffic under any circumstances and the heavier truck keeps the trailer in line nicely.

Gotta say though, a big truck sucks for a DD, parking is a major pain just about everywhere I go except for the Co-Op which is designed for farm trucks. If ford/GMC/Chevy come out with a 1/2 ton diesel I'm downsizing.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

97 Astro conversion van, comfy and quiet but a dog on the hills. Just picked up a gen1 3/4 ton Ram to take it's place.
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan
Gotta say though, a big truck sucks for a DD, parking is a major pain just about everywhere I go except for the Co-Op which is designed for farm trucks. If ford/GMC/Chevy come out with a 1/2 ton diesel I'm downsizing.
I can't see how a half ton would be noticeably different than a three quarter in parking lots. Both truck lines are available in the same or similar cab/bed configurations and overall length and width is about the same. I suppose a standard cab/short bed would be better in town, but I doubt they will put the new lighter diesels in trucks like that.

It seems to me that the short box/super cab F250 is actually fairly nimble for a diesel powered full size - it's essentially the same size as an old fashioned standard cab long box. If I ever get back to the full size truck market, that's the setup I would want: SuperCab, 6.5' box, 4x4 turbo diesel F250.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
BamaLonghorn
1980 CJ7 

I use a 2002 F-150 FX4 it works perfectly along with towing our wakeboarding boat. We also have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe that works perfect.
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport - SOLD
1979 Jeep CJ-5 - Sold
1980 Jeep CJ-7
BamaLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBA
I can't see how a half ton would be noticeably different than a three quarter in parking lots. Both truck lines are available in the same or similar cab/bed configurations and overall length and width is about the same. I suppose a standard cab/short bed would be better in town, but I doubt they will put the new lighter diesels in trucks like that.

It seems to me that the short box/super cab F250 is actually fairly nimble for a diesel powered full size - it's essentially the same size as an old fashioned standard cab long box. If I ever get back to the full size truck market, that's the setup I would want: SuperCab, 6.5' box, 4x4 turbo diesel F250.

I've owned a 2000 F150 Super cab (2 door with 2 "wing" doors in back) short bed, a 2005 F150 King Ranch Crew Cab with 6' bed and I currently own an '04 SD Crew cab short box, and I can tell you without question that F250 is a tank compared to either of the other two vehicles.

Wheel base:

F250 - 156.2"
F150 - 126"

Overall Lenght:

F250 - 245.8"
F150 - 211.2"

Width:

F250 - 79.9
F150 - 78.9

As you can see the wheelbase on two similar models is a little more than 30" and that makes a huge difference. In small parking lots I generally tend to back into the spot because it's easier.

Last but not least - I used to park in my garage but with the F250 it won't fit!

EDIT: All that being said - I'll always drive an F250 from here on - I love that thing - 325 HP and 550 lb ft of torque!

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Both my tow vehicles in one photo. K2500 Burb, 4x4 454, 4.11 posi.

Volvo Fe is 33000gvw Cat 3116, Allison 6sp.

Unread 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
I can tell you without question that F250 is a tank compared to either of the other two vehicles.
Yep, I'm running a super cab (clamshell doors) short bed and your description is dead on, but what a job towing they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
I donated - have you? Click here now!

EDIT: I've done my part, it's a wealth of info and deserves support.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan
Yep, I'm running a super cab (clamshell doors) short bed and your description is dead on, but what a job towing they do.

[/URL]

EDIT: I've done my part, it's a wealth of info and deserves support.
The funny part is I haven't even towed with mine yet! I've only owned it for a few months and the XJ isn't ready yet. The two times I did tow I ended up using my brothers F250 (crew cab long box - now that's a tank!) because mine was in the shop for 1) a detail - LOL 2) to fix the CD player - which isn't even fixed yet...

And I sure hope a TON of people click that link (the one in my sig!) and support Stu!

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
White92
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Both my tow vehicles in one photo. K2500 Burb, 4x4 454, 4.11 posi.
A buddy of mine has that same sub and I would highly recomend it to anyone wanting a DD and a towing rig.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
ps3tv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I tow my Jeep with:

Parking the truck is a major pain in the butt. I park at the far end of the parking lot at work, and walk about a quarter of a mile to my office. I need a lot of space to get lined up with a parking spot, and if I get to work early enough to take a closer spot in the morning, I don't have enough space to get back out in the evening. Fuel mileage is quite poor as a daily driver. It has been getting 9 mpg on the last tank of diesel. It sure tows the trailer and Jeep nice though, even with the Jeep being 4200 lbs and the trailer being 3800 lbs. It tows the 8000 lbs like its not even there.

A Tahoe would be a good tow rig for a Jeep and flat bed trailer. I had an Expedition that was a good tow vehicle for my Jeep back when I had a flat bed trailer. Be careful with the brakes on SUVs though, because they dont have the braking capacity of a 3/4 ton or one ton truck. I had the brakes on my Expedition fade away to nothing on the downhill coming out of Lake Tahoe. Thank god for trailer brakes, or I would have blown right through the intersection coming into Carson City. The Expeditions brakes were completely gone, ... nothing left what-so-ever. That was a scary one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.