What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
thymers

What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC

Its a V8, 5.2L. I have my eye on a 22 foot trailer, about 3900 UVW and 450 Hitch weight. I really want this trailer, but I would also like to keep the jeep. I am just wondering if a 22 footer is too long or if this would be too heavy for it. I will be driving across canada and traveling distances, so wondering from anyone with experience in towing with the cherokee. I would appreciate any kind of info.

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, don't ever go by the unloaded vehicle weight on a travel trailer. It will weigh more than that when you tow it off the dealer's lot. I towed a 23' TT that weighed close to 5k with my XJ. I had a brake controller so stopping wasn't an issue. Sway was. If you're going to do it make sure you have a good weight distribution and sway control set up.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 01 Grand with the I6. I pulled a 20 foot camper trailer that was about 3500lbs or so loaded, sold it within a year. That trailer pushed the jeep all around. I have an 04 Toyota 4Runner and the difference is night and day.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Indy

My 04 had a tow rating very similar to one of my 3/4 ton pickups. Actually towing with them at far below the rating, not at all similar. Just having a frame makes a ton of difference to how the vehicle handles.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

a good trailer brake controller (at least have one axle with brakes on that trailer), weight distributing hitch and sway control are definitely advisable (even with a heavy duty pick up truck IMHO)
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.