What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
thymers

What can I tow with my 94 Jeep GC

Its a V8, 5.2L. I have my eye on a 22 foot trailer, about 3900 UVW and 450 Hitch weight. I really want this trailer, but I would also like to keep the jeep. I am just wondering if a 22 footer is too long or if this would be too heavy for it. I will be driving across canada and traveling distances, so wondering from anyone with experience in towing with the cherokee. I would appreciate any kind of info.

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, don't ever go by the unloaded vehicle weight on a travel trailer. It will weigh more than that when you tow it off the dealer's lot. I towed a 23' TT that weighed close to 5k with my XJ. I had a brake controller so stopping wasn't an issue. Sway was. If you're going to do it make sure you have a good weight distribution and sway control set up.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 01 Grand with the I6. I pulled a 20 foot camper trailer that was about 3500lbs or so loaded, sold it within a year. That trailer pushed the jeep all around. I have an 04 Toyota 4Runner and the difference is night and day.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Indy

My 04 had a tow rating very similar to one of my 3/4 ton pickups. Actually towing with them at far below the rating, not at all similar. Just having a frame makes a ton of difference to how the vehicle handles.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

a good trailer brake controller (at least have one axle with brakes on that trailer), weight distributing hitch and sway control are definitely advisable (even with a heavy duty pick up truck IMHO)
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.