Weight of utility trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Weight of utility trailer?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
hyperrust
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Weight of utility trailer?

I'm looking for a utility trailer to tow behind my 1998 Wrangler 4.0L 5speed with towing package. I understand the towing capacity is 2000 lbs.

Does anyone know approximately how much a standard 6 x 10 utility trailer with wooden floor, 2x3 frame, and a 3500 lb axle would weigh? I've asked at trailer stores where they supposedly build their own, and even they don't know. People have guessed 500-800 lbs. I want to tow an 1100 lb ZTR mower (rarely) with the trailer, so I need the combination to be within the 2000 lb limit. Just me in the Jeep, no other significant cargo weight.

Thanks!

hyperrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 6x10 trailer with a wooden deck,
but it doesn't have a 3500lb axle,
I think its only 1500 or so.
Anyway the trailer only weighs max 400lbs.
I don't think you have to worry about pulling that mower and trailer.
My dads jeep has a 2000lb towing package and he pulls two skis that weigh 700lbs each and a rather large trailer. His does fine.
I actually think it is the same year as yours. Eitherway, I don't think its a problem.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

800 lbs. seems a little extreme to me. I'd put more towards 500 max. I've got a 4 x 8 trailer that the previous owner made to withstand the apocalypse with a huge beefy frame and rails. Last week a buddy and I picked it up to flip it on its side in my driveway and it didn't give us any trouble.

If you end up finding one and want to get a precise weight just find a truck weigh station on the highway and drive on. Those things are always active even when the stations are closed.
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I own a 5x10' Eagle tiltbed with the 3500 pound axle, brakes, and a wood deck. It weighs right around 800 pounds empty.

the difference between a 2950 axle and 3500 pound axle is the brakes... here in WA anyway, all trailers over 3000 pounds must have brakes, so two identical trailers - one without brakes and one with brakes, will have ratings of 2950 and 3500, respectively.

You might think brakes on a little trailer are silly, but guess what - it makes a difference.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
hyperrust
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I end up buying a 5 x 10 trailer with a wooden floor. The man who sold it to me guessed it weighed 800 lbs. I towed the mower with my jeep without incident.

Thank for the comments!
hyperrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I sell utility trailers (as small as 4'x6' with steel mesh floors), box cargo, carhauler, toy boxes, full aluminum, horse trailers with or without living quarters, blah blah blah for a living.

Call me if you want the real gouge & laws explained (too much to type here). Contact info is in my sig.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Contact info is in my sig.
You've said that a few times that I've seen... yet you don't have a signature showing on the forum.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.