Weight of utility trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Weight of utility trailer?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
hyperrust
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Weight of utility trailer?

I'm looking for a utility trailer to tow behind my 1998 Wrangler 4.0L 5speed with towing package. I understand the towing capacity is 2000 lbs.

Does anyone know approximately how much a standard 6 x 10 utility trailer with wooden floor, 2x3 frame, and a 3500 lb axle would weigh? I've asked at trailer stores where they supposedly build their own, and even they don't know. People have guessed 500-800 lbs. I want to tow an 1100 lb ZTR mower (rarely) with the trailer, so I need the combination to be within the 2000 lb limit. Just me in the Jeep, no other significant cargo weight.

Thanks!

hyperrust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 6x10 trailer with a wooden deck,
but it doesn't have a 3500lb axle,
I think its only 1500 or so.
Anyway the trailer only weighs max 400lbs.
I don't think you have to worry about pulling that mower and trailer.
My dads jeep has a 2000lb towing package and he pulls two skis that weigh 700lbs each and a rather large trailer. His does fine.
I actually think it is the same year as yours. Eitherway, I don't think its a problem.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

800 lbs. seems a little extreme to me. I'd put more towards 500 max. I've got a 4 x 8 trailer that the previous owner made to withstand the apocalypse with a huge beefy frame and rails. Last week a buddy and I picked it up to flip it on its side in my driveway and it didn't give us any trouble.

If you end up finding one and want to get a precise weight just find a truck weigh station on the highway and drive on. Those things are always active even when the stations are closed.
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I own a 5x10' Eagle tiltbed with the 3500 pound axle, brakes, and a wood deck. It weighs right around 800 pounds empty.

the difference between a 2950 axle and 3500 pound axle is the brakes... here in WA anyway, all trailers over 3000 pounds must have brakes, so two identical trailers - one without brakes and one with brakes, will have ratings of 2950 and 3500, respectively.

You might think brakes on a little trailer are silly, but guess what - it makes a difference.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
hyperrust
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I end up buying a 5 x 10 trailer with a wooden floor. The man who sold it to me guessed it weighed 800 lbs. I towed the mower with my jeep without incident.

Thank for the comments!
hyperrust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I sell utility trailers (as small as 4'x6' with steel mesh floors), box cargo, carhauler, toy boxes, full aluminum, horse trailers with or without living quarters, blah blah blah for a living.

Call me if you want the real gouge & laws explained (too much to type here). Contact info is in my sig.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Contact info is in my sig.
You've said that a few times that I've seen... yet you don't have a signature showing on the forum.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.