Weight Distribution Set UP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Weight Distribution Set UP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Tiburon
2011 WK 

Weight Distribution Set UP

I posted this in the WK2 forum and received zero responses. Thought I might try it here.

I have a new to me 2011 WK2 5.7 Hemi Overland with full air suspension. Looking for suggestions on proper procedures for setting up a Weight Distribution system for towing a 1964 Airstream Bambi II travel trailer. It has a weight of about 2500 lbs loaded. Hitch weight is under 350 lbs.

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
xjtrailrider

I run a Valley weight distributing hitch with my 19' car trailer and my 09 Hemi XK. Tongue load is up there with a 4klbs pig of a off-road XJ on it. 7k total on the trailer. I also use the stabilizing attachment.

Set the load bars when the vehicle is sitting normal height and the trailer is slightly nose up. I use the trailer jack to get it where I want it. Of course you need to adjust the hitch to match first.

Most trailer dealers will set the hitch up for you for free if you buy the hitch from them or for a small fee if you didn't

xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Checkout http://www.rv.net/forum/
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Tiburon
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post

Looked and could not find info. Did you have a specific thread in mind?
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
xjtrailrider

Here is a good DIY video;
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search. There are lots of threads about weight distribution set ups.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Tiburon
2011 WK 

Thank you for the suggestions but I guess I did not make my self clear. My question is what do I do with the air suspension? I have used the Andersen WD system with a couple of different tow vehicles, so no problem with the actual set up procedure. I am asking what do I do with the air suspension. It levels but does not actually move any weight from one end to the other so a WD system is still necessary for proper WD. Should I deactivate the suspension during set up? If so should I am assume that the height should be set to "normal" and than turn it back on after properly setting up the WD system?
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Tiburon
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
Do a search. There are lots of threads about weight distribution set ups.
Thank you for that suggestion. I know enough to try that before bothering you.
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Tiburon
2011 WK 

This was some recommendations that I received on another forum from a member with actual experience with my set up.

"I will repeat the Air Suspension information for the Grand Cherokee. Mine is a 2012 Overland. I suspect this information will also work for the newer ones, and for the half ton RAM trucks which are now using Air Suspension. I caution readers who are not familiar with this system that it is NOT the same as other air suspension systems you may have seen in the past. It is not a helper system, but replaces the springs and shocks totally and is integrated fully with the other computer driven systems in the GC.

First: find a dead level spot big enough for your TV and Trailer. Unhook the trailer, move the TV away a few feet. The dead level spot is critical as the Air Suspension system automatically tries to "look pretty" by adjusting the individual wheels to compensate for varying irregularity in the level of the parking spot. So, you need a level parking spot to start with. Let the rig idle for a few minutes allowing it to set it's level.

Second: Turn the Air Suspension system off (on the GC, press the up and down buttons at the same time for 10 seconds). Measure the fender heights above the ground and record. Back up to the trailer, raise the tongue and re couple, carefully dropping the tongue on the ball

Third: measure the fender well drop, then use your weight distribution hitch system to bring the fender measurements back to the original measurements, or as close as possible.

Forth: Drive away. The Air Suspension will automatically turn back on by itself in a short time.

Now, I would also advise checking your system by doing the same thing at a scale, only this time you can do before and after weights on all axels. I actually started by doing this at a closed Idaho Department of Transportation scale, which they leave on all the time and you can play to your heart's content. Once I was comfortable with the weights, I found that you can also rely on the fender measurement system to work quite well, that is the settings work out about the same, at least with my rig.

The Air Suspension system on the GC will hold the rear end of the rig high and level all by itself, even without a WD hitch system, but trust me, you will easily overload your rear axle and under load the front, if you don't follow the above system and don't use a WD hitch. It will look level and hold level, but that does not mean it is right and that the axels are not overloaded in the rear and underloaded in the front. Scale measurements will show that to be true.

I hope that helps some more.

For the record, I have done this with both an old round bar WD hitch setup and the Andersen. I use the Andersen now almost exclusively with excellent results. My tongue weights are in the 700# range on both of my 20' trailers."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.