weight distribution hitch on a Wrangler, DON'T - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > weight distribution hitch on a Wrangler, DON'T

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

weight distribution hitch on a Wrangler, DON'T

In the past I have given out some bad info about this. Ther have been some recent posts about this issue.

Do not use a weight distributing hitch on any vehicle not designed for one. Without proper receiver designed to use a weight distrusting hitch that is matched to that particular frame that is designed to use that type receiver things can be damaged.

History:

I have a V6 4Runner and used a weight distrusting hitch. About a year ago this was a hot topic in 4Runner Forum. The V6 4Runner is rated to tow much less weight than the V8. Through some research it was discovered it was not the motor, the length or the this or that. What the issue is the design of the receiver, how it mounts to the frame and if the frame is up to the task.
It is not just the weight that is transferred through this type of hitch but also the rotational forces. When you tow just a ball the trailer can twists and turn at that point as needed. When you sue the weight distributing hitch those forces are transferred through the bars used in that type of hitch, to the hitch into the receiver and finally to where the reviver mounts to the frame. Often lighter vehicles the hitches mount to a cross bar of the frame. The hitches do not mount along the length of the frame to properly distributing the weight let alone the twisting forces.

Many of the aftermarket “frame mounting hitches” I have seen for wranglers do not mount to much of the frame.

On the Toyota forum someone was able to find a service bulletin that explained this and it was the reason why the V8 4Runner could tow more than the V6. The key thing to look for in your owners manual is in the towing section when next to the max tow rating it say “when properly equipped” this means you can use a weight distrusting device. Other t5hings such as coolers gearing etc that are factory option are not only what is meant. Often that will be mentioned separate if there is a trailer package option. When it does not say this the weight is limited to the vehicle itself and no other non-factory equipment should be used, or at least that is Toyota’s take on this. In some owner’s manuals this is made more clear than others.
After reading and think about this I would think this would ably to the Wrangler or any other vehicle as it does to a Toyota.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mopar makes a receiver for JKs that is rated for a Weight Distribution Hitch, and I doubt they'd do so if the JK couldn't handle it...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_100_07.htm

3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2,000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating; 2" opening. Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Mopar makes a receiver for JKs that is rated for a Weight Distribution Hitch, and I doubt they'd do so if the JK couldn't handle it...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_100_07.htm

3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2,000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating; 2" opening. Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately
Here is Mopars add:
http://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wra...er-p-1328.html
Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Hitch Receiver (seems quadratech left the 4 door part out however image in instruction on mopar site shows a 2 door?)3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating, 2" opening, Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately. Center mount rear Tow Hook cannot be used with Hitch Receiver.

That is for the 4 door only, and if the manufacture has designed the frame to handle than I would say that would be fine. Like I said above if the manufacture has a hitch and frame properly designed than I would say you are good to go, otherwise I would use that type of setup.

This is what the jeep page says:
Towing

You already know that Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited allows you to conquer any terrain, but it also has a healthy 3,500-pound towing capacity, when properly equipped.
Trailer Sway Control+ works with Electronic Stability Control+ and the Antilock Brake System, alternating brake pressure to automatically correct oscillation in the vehicle trailer system. The Electronic Stability Control function lamp will flash when Trailer Sway Control is activated.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/wrangler...bility/towing/

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.