Weight Distribution hitch question? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Weight Distribution hitch question?

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
I decided to go with the 600 to 1200 pound one.

with a rig and trailer that weighs 6600 hundred pounds, the min tongue weight I would want is 660 pounds, the max would be a little over 900 so I fit in the range.
I'm not sure where you got your tongue weight information from, or whether you are even within the safe towing weight limits for your Jeep.

If you have a 2-door 2009 Jeep, with the optional trailer tow group option, then your maximum loaded trailer weight should not exceed 2,000# (or 3,500# for the JK 4 door Unlimited). The maximum tongue weight load limit for 2009 JK's is 350#, per Jeep/Chrysler.

Let's assume for discussion sake that your unloaded Jeep weighs 4200#. So, if as you say your total weight is 6600#, then your trailer would weigh 2400# (Is that loaded or unloaded?)

As a rule of thumb, you should have somewhere between 10%-15% of your trailer's weight on the ball mount, or 240# - 360# for a 2400# trailer.

When you add people, a full tank of fuel, and other gear to your Jeep, it seems to me that you could be "weigh" overloaded, regardless of your weight distribution hitch. Or am I missing something?

John

Silver_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am towing my jeep with a f150. Not towing a trailer with my jeep.
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

AH! Now I understand.

Sorry for the confusion.
Silver_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got everything finally in place and took a test run with jeep on trailer, the truck did fine, I can tell its back there for sure but no problems going 70 on highway. Mileage sucks though. 11.5 mpg towing average.
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
Well, I got everything finally in place and took a test run with jeep on trailer, the truck did fine, I can tell its back there for sure but no problems going 70 on highway. Mileage sucks though. 11.5 mpg towing average.
Very cool. Glad you're happy with it.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

heck even with a 3/4 ton Cummins the WDH makes a big difference.
Glad you're liking yours also ... or if you haven't tried yet: try towing without

Heck that's what all the naysayers should do
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana;13272267[B
]I don't know how exactly my load leveling hitch works but I love it.[/B] My trailer is heavy, just hooking it up alone makes the rear of my truck sink down low. I just load the Jeep up, find a somewhat level place, count down 5 links of the chain and my truck is sitting level like there isn't even a load on it. The anti swap on it is really nice too!
Same here. I tow a trailer that is about 3500 lbs with a 4Runner. It tow fine without the WD hitch. But with it other than the weight slowing me down I don't notice it. I live in the country on twisty turny roads and it makes a big difference.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.