Water Logged Trailer deck?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Water Logged Trailer deck??

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 10-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Water Logged Trailer deck??

I just had cause to re-weigh my truck, Jeep & Trailer.
Identical setup 2 weeks ago was 13,800 lbs total
Yesterday, weighed 600 lbs more?????
Same scales (state scales at a Tx truck weigh station)

Only change between two weigh-ins is I put the soft top back on and.....
heavy rain the days before(trailer outside) and light drizzle during second weighing.
Any ideas??

RJ

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Indy

The deck would have had to absorb 72 gallons of water to gain 600 pounds. That's a lot of water. Odds are there is a margin of error in the scale coupled with some water weight.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
N128CG
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What about fuel?
N128CG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
The deck would have had to absorb 72 gallons of water to gain 600 pounds. That's a lot of water. Odds are there is a margin of error in the scale coupled with some water weight.
State certified scales aren't off that much unless they are broken which is likely. The one I use at the dump was off by 20lbs from the DOT scales. More than likely it was the scales. Doubt you can put 600lbs with a soft top, fuel and a bit of rain. gas weighs only 6.073 lb/gallon soft top is probably 100-200lb.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
The deck would have had to absorb 72 gallons of water to gain 600 pounds.....
Yup.... I figured 75 gal. Just not possible on a treated deck, no matter how old.
Both were full fuel!
Soft top is probably not even 50 lbs.
Maybe some water on scale surface would affect readout?
It's a mystery! Guess I need a third weigh-in to see.

RJ
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

DOT is + or - 1%, by DOT Regulation.

Most scales are less accurate at the low end of their weight range given fixed errors with variable weight to compare. In other words, a postage scale that is off 1/100 oz. because of friction is only 99% accurate when weighing a letter weiging an oz. And, when a 3 pound pagage is on there it goes up to 99.9%. So, if a truck scale has to be 1% accurate when weighing a truck, by regulation, it might be off 800 pounds. Certainly, one would not expect the 1% to apply if one put a 600 pound motorcycle on the scale.
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
.......Most scales are less accurate at the low end of their weight range....
Good point, and yet..... I have weighed my Dodge/Cummins pickup (by itself) a few times on two different State scales and with me and full fuel it always come out +/-50 lbs of 7700 lbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.