Utility trailer winch mount advice? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
bikerider138

Utility trailer winch mount advice?

Hello all, I have a utility trailer I am bringing back from being neglected for a long time and am seeking advice for mounting a winch. A little background on the trailer; It is a 6x10 that I am going to use to haul two atvs most of the time and occasionally a street bike. The winch I have is a 2500 lb from harbor freight that I would like to use to load a street motorcycle by myself if needed. (The winch has a wireless remote) I want to create a mount where I can quickly install the winch when needed and remove it when not in use. I have uploaded 3 pictures of the trailer and 1 of the winch. The floor will be treated 2x6s and the area I have highlighted in red in picture 1 will have a board just like the sides of the trailer. I considered mounting the winch to the floor (blue rectangle in picture 1) but I don't know how strong that would be? Would it be mandatory to mount it to steel instead of the wood floor? There is not much room at the front of the trailer as seen in picture 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
trailer 2.1.jpg   trailer 3.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by bikerider138; 09-25-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: picture order was mixed up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

As long as the 2x6s are securely anchored I think you'll be fine mounting to that, especially if you'll only be winching motorcycles and ATVs that will still roll freely.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
bikerider138

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
As long as the 2x6s are securely anchored I think you'll be fine mounting to that, especially if you'll only be winching motorcycles and ATVs that will still roll freely.
Do you think I should sandwich the 2x6s between the winch on top and a steel plate on the bottom? I was also brainstorming quick removal mounting for the winch and haven't come up with anything yet. I would like the floor to stay somewhat flush so I can slide the atvs around if needed. I used T nuts for a similar project but I don't know how well those would hold up to the stress of the winch pulling a load.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The metal plate on the bottom would help. For you application a set of big gender washers on the bottom may be all you need. For quick removal you could use wing nuts. I have a winch I'm going to mount on my Jeep trailer in case I need haul a dead vehicle. I'm thinking about getting 2 of the Harbor Freight winch mounts to sandwich the 2x8 like you're talking about and using wing nuts to mount it. It's not very secure but I only plan on having it on the trailer when I'm using it. What are you planning for power? I'm considering using a set of quick connects and a heavy set of jumper cables and connecting to the battery on my tow vehicle.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The strongest place is on the tongue. But you have other stuff mounted there.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
bikerider138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider138 View Post
Do you think I should sandwich the 2x6s between the winch on top and a steel plate on the bottom? I was also brainstorming quick removal mounting for the winch and haven't come up with anything yet. I would like the floor to stay somewhat flush so I can slide the atvs around if needed. I used T nuts for a similar project but I don't know how well those would hold up to the stress of the winch pulling a load.
I will be using the same method for power as you are. I will look into those washers.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
bikerider138

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The strongest place is on the tongue. But you have other stuff mounted there.

I know. If I had welding skills I would weld on a hitch receiver and one to the winch. I've seen that setup on a lot of trailers.

Tags
trailer , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.