Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Utility trailer build

33K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dylantheheeler 
#1 · (Edited)
So about a month ago I pulled out a trailer from our back yard that was considered trash to my parents, and they got it for free from my uncle. and I decided to fix it up and get it going.

The bearings were locked up, it had a lot of surface rust on it, bolts needed oil, it was in pretty good shape besides that. It has no identification as to what brand it is so I had no idea what its capacity was or anything. Then one day I stumbled across a page on harbor freight and there it was! The license plate that was on it said '89, so it is kind of old! The original tires still hold air, so I am using them for now.

I soaked the bearings in diesel and cleaned them up, repacked them with grease, and got new bearing seals.

Then I took it for a test run!

Then sanded and primed:

In the end it will be glossy black with 1.5 foot tall removable sides, tailgate, custom Texas Longhorn mud flaps, bigger tires, spare tire mounted underneath, 2" rear accessory trailer hitch, and will have an 'A' tongue instead of a straight one so I can haul longer things. Also debating on a solid lockable hinged removable top! :drool:

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
What are you using it for? Just everyday utility stuff? a dryer on monday... some dirt thursday???

What about a 2" receiver, for putting on a bike or storage rack or other accesory racks when needed.
Yeah pretty much, camping and also I am starting up a lawn care business this summer, and so that is what I will mostly be using it for now.
Ahh I forgot to add that, I knew I would forget something. Thanks for reminding me! :rtft:

#4 ·
In that case, it might be nice to have bedliner on the inside, and maybe put some drain holes around for washing it out?

Also, you could think about making a tailgate in the front too, for "longer items".

Lawn care equipment needs gas... maybe an external gas can carrier? to keep gas from stinking up the trailer, and spills on the inside... not that spills on the outside are any better really.

#5 ·
In that case, it might be nice to have bedliner on the inside, and maybe put some drain holes around for washing it out?

Also, you could think about making a tailgate in the front too, for "longer items".

Lawn care equipment needs gas... maybe an external gas can carrier? to keep gas from stinking up the trailer, and spills on the inside... not that spills on the outside are any better really.
I have thought about bedliner but it is expensive! Tailgate in the front I will do, and gas will be removable for space. great suggestions!

#8 ·
Well I can't make it out to my Uncle's place this weekend to do the welding, but I will have it done another weekend. This weekend I went ahead and did all the painting and will complete it this weekend as well, except for welding all joints. Got it painted and I also painted the wheels gloss black, and the underside of fenders with undercoating to protect from rocks and other debris, and just finished installing deck. I am going to be installing a bumper on the rear of the trailer, along with an 'A' frame tongue as well.

Here it is painted:

Here is how it sits:

(sorry for the big pictures)

#9 ·
Alright I got the removable sides finished yesterday, it's coming out really nice. Most of the wood building on the trailer is finished, now just to add a rear bumper, lights, mud flaps, and maybe a few other things I can't think of right now.

#10 ·
Those little Harbor Freight trailers are remarkably durable considering the low price. The 40x48 size you have there makes a fantastic little luggage trailer when you slap a Sears rooftop cargo box on it.

Yours looks great after the makeover -you may want to think about upgrading to 12" tires when you get the chance.

#11 ·
Those little Harbor Freight trailers are remarkably durable considering the low price. The 40x48 size you have there makes a fantastic little luggage trailer when you slap a Sears rooftop cargo box on it.

Yours looks great after the makeover -you may want to think about upgrading to 12" tires when you get the chance.
Wow you read my mind, i was looking and the 12 inch tires number one look better, but number 2 can haul more weight. The next time I change my tires I will probably go with the 12 inch.

Thanks for the comment!

#12 ·
Alrighty, well this weekend I got my taillights and side markers installed along with the wiring for them, the license plate bracket, and I installed my safety chains.
(my wheels are dirty)

I accidentally left the trailer uncovered in the rain, and it being non-pressure treated wood, I need to let it dry out before I can seal it. I have a tie down strap around it so the wood doesn't warp while drying. So next weekend I am going to seal it with some stuff I bought.

After that I need to start searching for some cheap thick durable rubber, to make my custom mad flaps.

Any body got any cheap ideas where I can find that for cheap?

Thanks for reading! :D

#13 ·
Over the weekend I coated the wood on the trailer with a sealer. I could not see my trailer behind me at all, so I had to make some marker poles. Now I can see it! I am going to mount a light on top of each pole so that I can see where my trailer is at night. Then I will just run the wiring down the pvc and connect the lights to running lights! I also shined the tires. (sorry for some blurry pictures, I was taking the pictures in the dark!)

#16 ·
Mud flaps: old floor mats. Free at the junkyard.

Personally, I don't like the look of the poles. I always mount amber running lights to the forward outboard edge of the rear fenders. That way you don't lose the trailer when backing up at night.

Poles aside, really nice, neat work. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.