[U]Hauling a lifted rig... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > [U]Hauling a lifted rig...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

[U]Hauling a lifted rig...

Ok guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I need to know.

Any time I've ever had to trailer my Jeep down to the offriad park it has been a total pain in the ***.

I have to rent a U-Haul full hauler each time, which really isn't a big deal, but here's where things get sticky. With my 33x12.5's the straps didn't reach around the tires. Lame. So I had to shell out for a set of four of their tire strap extensions. Ok, fine, but they juuuuust barely cut it.

Well, now the Jeep is in full frame off fashion, and is getting either 36" or 37" by 15" tires. Awesome! Except now I KNOW it won't fir on their car haulers. And when I tried last time to just strap the axles to the hauler and call it a day, they said absolutely not, that would void every warranty in the book and if they saw it they wouldn't let me rent from them again. WTF.

The jeep isn't the most highway friendly vehicle, and with the offroad parks being several hours away, hauling is a must. Besides, when something breaks on the trail (and something always does) I need to have a way home to fix it.

So, what are you guys doing to circumvent this? I can't be the only one with this problem. The only thing I can think of is to buy a set of factory rims and tires on Craigslist and have them on just to get down and back up. But that sucks. And NO, I can't afford my own hauler, nor do I have the room for it. Parking is pretty cramped as it is here in Chicago haha.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Note: there's like 7 U-Hauls within a few miles from me and they're all sh*tty towards Jeeps like mine. Not really another option that I know of and yes I swear I'm absolutely polite and professional when I deal with them.

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Jekeel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Last time I towed my jeep I walked into budget and told them I need a truck and car trailer didn't get asked what I was towing just handed them down payment and drive off with the combo my jeep Is on 35's so my tires rubbed on both sides of the trailer but I got it on there no as far as the tire chains they didn't fit so I had to tie it down by the bumpers
Jekeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekeel View Post
Last time I towed my jeep I walked into budget and told them I need a truck and car trailer didn't get asked what I was towing just handed them down payment and drive off with the combo my jeep Is on 35's so my tires rubbed on both sides of the trailer but I got it on there no as far as the tire chains they didn't fit so I had to tie it down by the bumpers
Maybe because you're in FL. I work for a certain very large insurance company and I know that Illinois has very strict liability clauses and limits. They have even inspected my hitch to ensure it is right before they let me rent before. Once I had to buy a new trailer harness connector because it was a little corroded and they deemed it unsafe. I don't know if that makes a difference but it would seem to be of utmost importance to them.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have another vehicle to use as a tow vehicle? Get one if you don't and it doesn't have to be big.
Next look for a car dolly on local cl. They come up from time to time and reasonable cost. Make sure it's wide enough for your setup.

Co-clubber uses his WK to pull his XJ on a dolly. Dolly is easily stored in the tightest of areas. If you can't store that, bet a friend/co-clubber can.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular7
Do you have another vehicle to use as a tow vehicle? Get one if you don't and it doesn't have to be big.
Next look for a car dolly on local cl. They come up from time to time and reasonable cost. Make sure it's wide enough for your setup.

Co-clubber uses his WK to pull his XJ on a dolly. Dolly is easily stored in the tightest of areas. If you can't store that, bet a friend/co-clubber can.
Yeah I know it's an option but it's tough. Money isn't free, and you have to register, plate, and insure a trailer here. And a dolly isn't the best because what happens when I pop an axle shaft or something? I need a full hauler trailer. And storage? Have you ever been to Chicago? I don't have room to store my 10 speed bike around here hahaha. I appreciate the thought though man. I'm just looking to hear what everyone does is all. Thanks for the contribution
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

car dollys are very hard on Jeeps, and Jeep says not to use them in the TJs owners manual. You can get a decent trailer pretty cheap if your willing to do some work to it, and it sounds like your more than capable. Trailers are covered by the towing vehicles insurance, otherwise some states would pull over any out-of-state trailer, your vehicle policy covers trailers. My trailer plates cost about $14/year, I'm sure it would be a bit more there, but you can get a permanent registration in Maine for $120 (iirc) that lasts 5 years.

I bought this trailer for $500,

cut all the deck-plate off, replaced the hitch bar and shortened it 3', re-decked it with wood and framed the fenders until I replace them, right now I have about $800 in to a really good Jeep hauler.

Just looking at CL around Chicago I found these

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/3888693993.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/3901946258.html (this one is listed everyday, they look desperate to sell)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/3888072177.html
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Now all you need to do is learn how to tie that thing down properly. Yikes.

To the op - get a set of smaller wheels and tires and flip em. Put your normal ones in the uhaul. That is your only option without having your own setup. A dolly is a bad idea.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
whowey
1988 MJ Comanche 

Illinois requires plates and insurance any vehicle having wheels on the ground. So a Jeep on a dolly still needs plates and insurance. Trailer plates in IL are based on the weight rating of the trailer. TB or TC plates are what are needed for even the most basic car trailers. TB(5k lbs) plates are $54 per year, TC(8k) plates are $58 per year.
1994 ZJ Happily gone
whowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you guys are still missing my point. I live in Chicago. I don't have room to store my 10 speed huffy, owning a trailer is out of the question. I need to rent. $50 twice a month to go wheeling isn't the worst thing in the world, in fact, it's my only option.
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, I'm really confused. You have a tow rig, right? You said they inspected your hitch so it must have been on your tow rig, right?

So you go to U Haul and rent a trailer, right? And you drive over there with your tow rig, right?

So how do they know what you are putting on the trailer and how its tied down? Do they make a house call? WTF?
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Oh, I'm really confused. You have a tow rig, right? You said they inspected your hitch so it must have been on your tow rig, right?

So you go to U Haul and rent a trailer, right? And you drive over there with your tow rig, right?

So how do they know what you are putting on the trailer and how its tied down? Do they make a house call? WTF?
They ask what I'm towing and that's about it but they say I have to use their over the tire straps, which won't reach over 37's. if I strap the Heep down by the axles it voids any incident insurance if god forbid it were to come off in an accident or fly off and cause a problem. ALSO, 37"x15" won't physically FIT on their full width haulers.
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
whowey
1988 MJ Comanche 

I used to keep a set of street tires around to clear my old dolly frame. Swapping in the parking lot at the parks stunk... but it was what had to happen back then.
1994 ZJ Happily gone
whowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
They ask what I'm towing and that's about it but they say I have to use their over the tire straps, which won't reach over 37's. if I strap the Heep down by the axles it voids any incident insurance if god forbid it were to come off in an accident or fly off and cause a problem. ALSO, 37"x15" won't physically FIT on their full width haulers.
OK, let me help you sort this out.

Your personal insurance on your tow rig is primary on everything. If you get in a wreck and its your fault, your insurance pays for all of the damage you do. U-Haul and their insurance company is not paying squat. Unless of course, you have no insurance. Then their crappy insurance will maybe, I repeat maybe, pay the $3500 their crappy trailer is worth. I guaranty you that UHaul is not paying for damage to your rig if the accident is your fault. Trust me on this. If an accident is not your fault, then someone else's uinsurance is paying. Unless, they don't have any insurance and then your uninsured motorist's coverage is paying.

Tell the A-holes at U Haul you are towing your golf cart, get some proper chains and do your thing. I doubt your statement that a 33 will go on the deck but your 37's won't. I'd like to see some measurements on that. UHaul trailers support a 79" width. Are you saying you Wrangler with 37's is more than 79"?

EDIT:

I measured my XJ on 37's this morning and it is pretty close to 79".

Let's see, a YJ has about a 60" track. That's the center of the rim, I think. So, a 15" tire would add 7.5" per side. 60 + 15 equals 75". But, you may have a different backspace, so I'd get out the tape measure.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OK, let me help you sort this out.

Your personal insurance on your tow rig is primary on everything. If you get in a wreck and its your fault, your insurance pays for all of the damage you do. U-Haul and their insurance company is not paying squat. Unless of course, you have no insurance. Then their crappy insurance will maybe, I repeat maybe, pay the $3500 their crappy trailer is worth. I guaranty you that UHaul is not paying for damage to your rig if the accident is your fault. Trust me on this. If an accident is not your fault, then someone else's uinsurance is paying. Unless, they don't have any insurance and then your uninsured motorist's coverage is paying.

Tell the A-holes at U Haul you are towing your golf cart, get some proper chains and do your thing. I doubt your statement that a 33 will go on the deck but your 37's won't. I'd like to see some measurements on that. UHaul trailers support a 79" width. Are you saying you Wrangler with 37's is more than 79"?

EDIT:

I measured my XJ on 37's this morning and it is pretty close to 79".

Let's see, a YJ has about a 60" track. That's the center of the rim, I think. So, a 15" tire would add 7.5" per side. 60 + 15 equals 75". But, you may have a different backspace, so I'd get out the tape measure.
That would also depend on whether he was going with full width axles or not.
Course then the trailer would not work.
Seems to me like you have two options.
Flat towing or buy a trailer and pay somewhere to store it.
I would go with option two.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well his project says he is going with an 8.8, so I assume this is about the same as his 35 give or take an inch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.