Triple towing: Flat tow behind bumper pull trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Triple towing: Flat tow behind bumper pull trailer?

You Pick the Size and Style of Lift Kit. We will Find you FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectDynoMax fall rebate on select mufflers!

Unread 05-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Triple towing: Flat tow behind bumper pull trailer?

Anybody ever flat tow their Jeep on a triples setup?

Currently have a 6x10 enclosed that's too small....was the biggest I could pull with the Jeep. But have a diesel truck now (3/4 ton, 13.5k towing capacity), so thinking about upgrading to a 7x16 or 8.5x20 tandem axle trailer as a toy hauler for two motorcycles or two big ATVs (plus use for extra storage space, camping, take on hunting trips, etc). Trailer will be 7k-10k GVWR, and will have probably 500-1000 lbs tongue weight, so putting it behind the Jeep isn't an option. Truck can have airbags in the rear and a weight distribution hitch w/ friction sway bar if necessary.

Anybody ever setup their bumper pull trailer with a hitch in back and flat tow their Jeep in a triple tow setup? If so, how does it turn, track straight, brake, etc? Got pictures of the trailer hitch side?

I've found plenty of stuff about goose or 5er flat towing...but going gooseneck or 5th wheel isn't an option right now.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Triple towing is a menace. Do your part. Don't do it even where it is legal.
Unread 05-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Triple towing is a menace. Do your part. Don't do it even where it is legal.
thats not helpful....please explain....
Unread 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
thats not helpful....please explain....
I'm sorry, I got up on the wrong side of the bed.

What I mean to say is that triple towing is never safe. It is always a crap shoot. One can do it legally some places, but the vehicle train is so un-maneuverable, brakes so poorly, is so unstable, and so frail, that if something really bad happens, you will be making a bad situation worse.

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and resist the temptation. With your diesel 3/4 tow rig you can put a 32' trailer behind it and mount your 6x10 on the front of the trailer (without axles and wheels) and load the Jeep and the rest from behind. A much safer and more satisfying configuration, in my opinion.
Unread 05-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I mean to say is that triple towing is never safe. It is always a crap shoot. One can do it legally some places, but the vehicle train is so un-maneuverable, brakes so poorly, is so unstable, and so frail, that if something really bad happens, you will be making a bad situation worse.
ok, what's this based on? got some references? i see people towing triples with goosenecks and 5ers all the time around the highways here.

Quote:
With your diesel 3/4 tow rig you can put a 32' trailer behind it and mount your 6x10 on the front of the trailer (without axles and wheels) and load the Jeep and the rest from behind. A much safer and more satisfying configuration, in my opinion.
I've only got room to park one trailer, and I have to pay for that parking spot. If I get another trailer, it will replace the 6x10...not looking to jerry rig one inside the other or some crap. Additionally, 32' is completely impractical for maneuvering where this thing needs to be able to go in the mountains, parking lots, etc.
Unread 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First, the reason it is a poor configuration is that you have a rig with no brakes pushing from the rear. And, a middle element with brakes and no steering. Sort like a big hand pushing the box from the rear. Are you planning a remote braking system for the Jeep? Some states require brakes on all three elements. I assume you are not planning that.

And, I was giving you an extreme example with a 32' trailer. You could probably mount that box on a 26' trailer and put all that other junk you mentioned on it. But, I think you have it all figured out so I see no need for your question. And, most of the states around Colorado allow you to pull that train down the road legally. Good luck.
Unread 05-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First, the reason it is a poor configuration is that you have a rig with no brakes pushing from the rear. And, a middle element with brakes and no steering. Sort like a big hand pushing the box from the rear. Are you planning a remote braking system for the Jeep? Some states require brakes on all three elements. I assume you are not planning that.
I could potentially do a brake system on the Jeep, or use a dolly with brakes & remove the rear shaft. Don't know if you can legally do a tow dolly in a triples setup tho. The tandem axle trailer will have a break-away setup on it.

Quote:
And, I was giving you an extreme example with a 32' trailer. You could probably mount that box on a 26' trailer and put all that other junk you mentioned on it.
oh i see, you mean a redneck hybrid trailer.

I'm looking to stick with a fully enclosed trailer since it will double as storage for ATV/motorcycle/gear/parts/etc.

Quote:
But, I think you have it all figured out so I see no need for your question. And, most of the states around Colorado allow you to pull that train down the road legally. Good luck.
You definitely did wake up on the wrong side of the bed today. My question related to flat towing the jeep behind a trailer....have you done this before? Do you have experience with it (good or bad)? If so, great, please do tell, but I see no need for the attitude If it's a bad idea, why? What's the mechanics behind the badness? That's what I'm trying to understand.
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
MPond
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wilson may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, but he is right - it's just not a good idea.

In a doubles/triples setup, each trailer becomes less stable than the one in front of it, and that's under the best of circumstances. With a Jeep being flat-towed with no tongue weight, that's even worse because it will push around the trailer in the middle, with no tongue weight on the trailer in front of it to improve stability.

Further, normally when you flat tow it's behind an RV or truck, with front and rear axles. But behind a trailer you have 1 axle (or 2 axles close together) near the middle of the trailer. When the Jeep tries to push to one side or the other, the rear axle of the truck/RV pulling it resists that movement, and the driver can add steering inputs from the front axle to counter that if necessary. Putting a trailer in between causes two problems:

1. The trailer will pivot on it's axle(s), allowing the Jeep to push sideways much easier.

2. If the Jeep pushes to the left on the rear of the trailer, the trailer will pivot on it's axle(s) and push to the right on the truck. The driver is forced to counter steer the truck to offset the push of the trailer, but that is the wrong direction for what the Jeep is doing. This leads to lots of sway or "wiggle".

And that's just going straight down the road. Then you have to think about braking, emergency maneuvers, etc... In each of those cases, it only gets worse.

None of the rigs you're considering were designed for this configuration, and you'd end up with a kludge at best. The reason you see it mostly with 5ers and goosenecks is that they are usually larger, longer and heavier, which means the flat-tow behind them has far less effect than a small enclosed trailer.
Unread 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

ok, thanks that makes sense!
Unread 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

oh i see, you mean a redneck hybrid trailer.

I'm looking to stick with a fully enclosed trailer since it will double as storage for ATV/motorcycle/gear/parts/etc.

I see nothing wrong with a box on the front of a trailer. I bought a semi sleeper to mount on mine but never got around to it. You might have to go gooseneck due to the tongue weight.

And, I doubt one could configure a more redneck parade than your pickup rolling down the road followed by a toy hauler, followed by your flat towed rig. Perhaps if you put a little chimney on the enclosed box, you know, the kind with the little pointed top, it would finish it off just right.
Unread 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
MetropolisLake

Some places (Illinois) would see that and literally make you park it on the side of the road until you could tow or drive each item out individually.
MetropolisLake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #12
emmastone019

ok, thanks that makes sense!
emmastone019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.