Trailer Tires - LT vs trailer, Radial vs Bias? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Trailer Tires - LT vs trailer, Radial vs Bias?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
tw_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer Tires - LT vs trailer, Radial vs Bias?

Have a small 2 horse trailer that needs new tires.

Trying to decide whether I should get LT or trailer tires and then bias or radial. I am leaning to LT radials just due to actual speed ratings that trailer tires typically dont have.

With 2 axles + spare - it's 5 tires to replace. They are about 7yrs old and cracking bad in this florida heat

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Specs:
Weight: ~2200lb empty. ~3000lb with our pony in it. Rarely a 2nd horse pushing it to ~4000+lb
Axles - 2
Tire size: 7.5x16 which are equivalent to 235x85x16
Type: Unknown - some chinese brand - cant find words "radial" or "bias" on them.
Used ~12 times a year I'd guess but not evenly spread out. May sit for months then used 2-3 times in a month.

Tow vehicle is stock 2002 Ford FX-4 5.4L.

2000 TJ Sport/auto/D44/X8000i & Tomken mount/jeeperman rear bumper and rails/Skidrow steering skid/RE 3.5SF/33x10.5x15ATKOs/JB Conversions SYE/CV shaft/BESTOP tire carrier/AtoZ front bumper/Front Aussie Locker/some aesthetic stuff/
tw_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You want to know if you should use Trailer Tires in a trailer application? ST rated tires are made specifically for trailer use. Why are you worried about the speed ratings of the tires? How far over the speed limit do you really wanna tow?

Myself, I'd use bias ST rated tires. Radials don't really help a trailer, different load forces than in wheel-driven vehicles. Plus, (devil's advocate voice) ... *IF* you were involved in an accident, the other side's creepy ambulance chasing lawyer could say the use of tires not rated for trailer usage contributed to your fault in the accident, whether it's true or not. It's all about what you can't make people believe in court. Yeah, sucks, but that's the litigious reality of our society today.
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
tw_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Regarding speed - i have conflicting information on ST speed ratings - as low as 55 - which is very little margin on any kind of highway driving.

Based on a number of comments on RV forums, the quality of ST tires is often quite suspect. It seems that government oversight is less and most are made in China. Many RV owners switch to LT truck tires.

The lawyer comment is all too true.

Thanks...
2000 TJ Sport/auto/D44/X8000i & Tomken mount/jeeperman rear bumper and rails/Skidrow steering skid/RE 3.5SF/33x10.5x15ATKOs/JB Conversions SYE/CV shaft/BESTOP tire carrier/AtoZ front bumper/Front Aussie Locker/some aesthetic stuff/
tw_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

Yes there has been much debate on the quality of trailer tires, that is for sure. From what I have read they are speed rated only to 65 mph. However, if you compare the load rating for their size, they can carry much more than a P rated tire and more than the same size LT rated tire. As an example, an LT rated 235/75-15 C load range tire maxes out at 1985 lbs @ 50 psi. In ST sizes you can get an ST 225/75-15 D rated tire that maxes out at 2500 or so @ 65 psi. Most LT tires in 15" sizes are C load rated. If the load rating of the LT tire matches the load you are carrying I can't see how you can be cited or sued in an accident, because trailer tires are not specifically required by law on trailers, unless your state motor vehicle code requires it. I looked for D rated LT tires in the 235/75 15 size and the only one I found was the Pirelli ATR all terrain tire. I do use ST trailer tires (Kenda Loadstar) and I have not had any trouble with them the 8 years they have been on my boat trailer.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

some people have a bias for bias tires on trailers lol, I just got a trailer and the PO spent over $100/tire getting the larger bias tires, what I do know is that radials will be rated for higher speeds, and I do pull my trailer at 70mph quite regularly with my heavyass suburban, the main reason Im a fan of radials on a trailer is that they dont get as hot as fast at higher speeds, so your less likely to blow one apart, radials have better survivability at traffic speeds.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

here is one tire I have found that is D rated in a 15" rim size, Pirelli ATR LT 235/75-15 rated at 2335 lbs @65 psi.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RATR&tab=Sizes
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
robphillips00
2009 JK Wrangler 

St trailer tires are the biggest scam out there. Some are rated at 55 and 60 mph. They have a sorry service life as well. If you can run LT tires, you will be much happier in the long run.
robphillips00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.