Trailer rebuild! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Trailer rebuild!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
polizi212

Trailer rebuild! Updated!!

I have known about this section of Jeep forum but never ventured here much. I have been wanting a trailer for some time but just couldn't see coughing up the money for one! But 2 weeks ago while driving to work I saw one go up for sale for 75.00 but it was rough to say the least. After a few days the price dropped on it to $50.00. So I went on Saturday morning last week to look at it, and it's still there in all it's rough glory and for only 50 bucks so I snatched it up. of course the ball was smaller than the one I had so I had to go to tractor supply to get a smaller ball to tow it home and the trailer lights were broken, Which meant I had to take all back roads home! So any way this is what it looked like!

I believe it was a old pop-up camper but since I know so little I am olny guessing. This is my first trailer project so bear with me If I say the wrong thing!

The inside of it was not impressive and after getting it home I actually thought what did I get my self into!

Even the trailer tongue was wore out and not looking like it could hold up to much more use.

Anyway you get the idea so I got to work first I removed all the wood, metal, wiring, and other junk from the frame.

yes very rusty but its surface rust and overall the frame was surprisingly still good and strong.

Replaced the tongue right out the gate old one was welded on so I had to cut it off with a hack saw and chisel but I got it off and I installed a new one. Just have to have it welded in place bolts will work for now!

I wire wheeled all the rails and sanded them but I didn't get pictures! Added one more steel beam but no install photos!

Spend a few hours today giving it a fresh coat of paint its a temporary fix since I plan on giving it a coat of Monstaliner.

Also gave the Rims a much needed makeover.

One thing I cant seam to find is the hubs for this trailer the shaft is 1 inch diameter but the hubs look nothing like anything I see online you guys know what these are or where I can either find replacements or new bearings.

My next step is the floor I plan on using 5/4 treated deck boards in a 6" width.I will start that project in the morning! I will update as that unfolds! Also have to add all new trailer lights and new safety chain!

If you have tips, tricks, suggestions compliments or complaints lets hear them!

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
polizi212

So after a day of getting started on working on the trailer then having to stop and do other things multiple times today I was able to progress a bit further in my rebuild.

I got the wood and some of the bolts in today still have about 45 more bolts to install.

Also added the trailer lights to the rear and ran all the wires.

Next item to start working on is the side rails and the front storage box.
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
polizi212

I need a recommendation on a good brand of taillight converter for my jeep to connect this trailer too. The trailer has a 4 pin flat connector. Do I even need a tail light converter???
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizi212 View Post
I need a recommendation on a good brand of taillight converter for my jeep to connect this trailer too. The trailer has a 4 pin flat connector. Do I even need a tail light converter???
Just tap into the Jeep's harness and wire it correctly to the 4 pin. Looking good so far. As for the hub question have you tried napa or online? If you have a local trailer place call them up most should have the size you need.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

not sure if this will help:

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Orsc...+hubs&offset=0

They sell complete axles for around $100 bucks.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
spdonovan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, always nice to see something brought back to life.
spdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
polizi212

Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to a local RV Dealer talked to a tech guy on the phone and he thinks he can get bearings for these hubs if not I may just do a entire axle and spring swap. Trailer is coming along, during the week I dont work on it much since I have to go to my real job. I have made a few mistakes in this process and I am taking notes so I dont do that again. This is the very first Trailer I have ever attempted to mess with so I am just taking it all in. I have to finish the floor and then I have to do the side rails this is going to be fun!!
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
polizi212

Well I got more done on this trailer rebuild but I still have a list of items I will be doing to it over the winter ie New axles, springs,and hubs and all LED lights. I just put cheap lights to get it on the road this year but over the winter when I have no use for it I will make my upgrades.

Here are a few pictures of the progress so far.

Glamor shot to see how it looked hooked up to my Jeep!

The sides and rear rails all come off the front I attached permanently. The plywood I attached to the front will be taken off and coated to seal out water and its more for just holding a spare tire and a small box for chains and straps. I used all pressure treated wood and I think I am going to leave it the natural wood color now. If I do paint it I think I will do something to match it to my Jeep. I also still have about 25 to 30 more bolts to install in the centers of the boards on the deck of the trailer and I need to either make or buy some fenders.
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Your trailer is 100% better than what you started with good job.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.