Trailer Guardian and my latest screwup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Trailer Guardian and my latest screwup

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Indy

Trailer Guardian and my latest screwup

Not too long ago I picked up my new boat (not new of course) about 45 miles from where I lived. As I was pulling off the interstate close to home and slowing, POP, and off the ball the trailer goes. I was down to about 30 or so and managed to use the rear bumper to stop the trailer and control it off the ramp itself. Quick inspection showed that not only had the coupler popped off the ball but the safety chains had failed as well. The only thing still hooked up was the wiring. Besides the trailer jack, no real damage to anything else fortunately. And fortunately it didn't happen at 75 on the interstate.

So I let the PO hook up the trailer after he guided me back to it. I know I did a look as I walked by and it looked fine and locked down but it was at best a cursory inspection. I *think* the coupler was sitting on top of the ball and not fully engage regardless of the lock position. I know there's a rule about trailering that I'm violating there. I've tried to get the coupler to pop since then and have been unable to do so, so my only assumption is it was user error as I neglected to check someone else's hookup.

So I'll be replacing chains with stouter of course, completely resetting the coupler so I know it's adjusted right, and I also ordered (and just received) a trailer guardian, found it on ebay for about $25. Trailer Guardian Video

It looks to be a pretty solid little unit, heavy steel and comes with a locking pin so it also doubles as security. I'll be installing it and using it in the future, seems to be pretty cheap insurance vs. what could have happened. Unfortunately there's no way for me to really give it a review unless something bad happens, but initial inspection it looks like a good item.

Unread 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I have never had a problem with the ball coupler coming undone if the ball is the right size for the coupler. Not sure on that device doing what it says but it might work, let us know. I personally will stick to what I do when I tow by making sure my trailer is secure by lifting up on it and that the chains are crossed to form a X.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Wow...where'd you get your wiring? I think I want to invest in that company!

Crossed chains is the way I've always gone, I always lift up on the tongue to make sure it's secure.

The wifey's even asked me "Don't trust me?" when she hooked it up.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
The wifey's even asked me "Don't trust me?" when she hooked it up.
So what did you tell her?
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

"Implicitly"

duhhhhh!!!!
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Indy

I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened. It lasted 50 miles at interstate speeds and I haven't been able to get it to pop since so I'm just guessing. Chains where crossed, they snapped and failed as well so they're getting replaced too. The plate installed pretty easy, going to be just that little bit extra just in case. I did have to cut the old ball off, that bugger was on tighter than I could work a breaker bar and a cheater
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

The ball on my hitch calls for 450 lb-ft. The torque wrench that the shop used was a good 48" long.

I lost a boat once too - it was my neighbor's boat and he told me it was a 2" ball, which is what was on my truck.

Shame, it was really a 2 5/16" hitch, so when we hit the tracks it popped right off.

Oh well.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.