Trailer fishtailing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Trailer fishtailing

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer fishtailing

I've got a great off-road trailer but it's all over the road. Talking to a friend that (claims to have) built a lot of trailers, he says the wheels need more toe in. As it stands,it looks like they have no toe in at all.

Is there a simple way to adjust this?

The axle is a single tube style so I don't really know what could be done.

Sent from my TJ

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fish tailing is almost always caused by inadequate tongue weight. More tongue weight, less fishtailing. I am not saying that there are not other causes for it, but I haven't seen any of them.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Fish tailing is almost always caused by inadequate tongue weight. More tongue weight, less fishtailing. I am not saying that there are not other causes for it, but I haven't seen any of them.
Agreed.

Having a single axle trailer with the axle mounted too far forward on the frame will contribute to the problem of too little tongue weight.

Additionally, the tongue weight can be affected by tongue pitch. Try to use a hitch arrangement that puts the trailer frame level, or in a slightly nose-down pitch.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Hmmm... The axle on this one is mounted almost dead center of a 4x4 box. There is almost no weight on the tongue regardless of load. Here I was thinking that was a plus!

I suppose I could mount a rack on the tongue and force some weight further from the center.

My other takeaway is that I simply must go out and buy a welder now and get to hacking.... Just gotta sell the idea to the wife.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
2xCross

Just throw some weights or something heavy in the very front of the trailer, take it for a drive. Should solve your problem, if not look for something else.....
2xCross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, those trailers are meant for about 25 mph. Just bite the bullet and move the axle back a foot. Ever see one of those blacktop pots rolling down the road behind a dump truck wagging all over the place? That's the same principle that is making you miserable.
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A swaying trailer would be nerve-racking being towed by a Jeep.

I'd also like to hear how it tows with weight in the front?

My trailer has a battery box in front, plus some water jugs and tools. Lighter stuff is over the axle and to the back. But even if the trailer is empty, it has no swaying (just bounces some more). The axle is in a good position back. I have a ball mount with a 4" drop and the trailer's nose tips down just a bit.

Keep us updated, and what size are the tires? Picture?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.