Trailer Build Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Trailer Build Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Trailer Build Problem

I picked up a Coleman Versa trailer for cheap. It is a tiny trailer, but I predicted a fun build.

The first order of business was to remove the axle and weenie 12 inch wheels and tires.

Then, I ordered a 3500 lb axle WITHOUT hubs because I have a brand new set of 4.5 inch bolt pattern hubs, and just so happen to have wheel adapters to run the 5 on 5 bolt pattern of the JK. Figured I would save the money on new hubs.

The axle came in in short order. Mounted the hubs, mounted the wheel adapters, threw my old stock steel JK wheels on there and they rub... BAD. Turns out I measured the offset of the wheels incorrectly before I ordered the axle.

Theoretically I could run wheel spacers. The problem is that I am already running adapters, and dont think it is a good idea to run adapters AND wheel spacers.

I don't know if I can find 5 x 5 wheels with a lesser offset. Even if I CAN find them, it still means that I cant run the same spare for the Jeep AND the trailer.

So, it looks like I need a 5 on 5 wheel with a very low offset in a 16 inch size, or I need a pair of 5 on 4.5 wheels with virtually NO offset. Tire size would not matter because I could not share a spare with the Jeep anyway since the bolt pattern is different.

Some say measure twice, cut once. I say dont measure at all, and cut yourself.

-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

How close are they from clearing? I don't think a 1/4" spacer would hurt too much ontop of the adapter, given how little (weight) you will pull with that trailer...
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

I may try it. I am just too ticked at myself for my bonehead mismeasurement to think clearly right now.
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

That's pretty cool. I've been thinking about doing this myself.

What are your plans with the trailer (besides getting it to function? ) Are you going to leave the top open or enclose it? What load capacity are you expecting, weight wise?
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaremont View Post
I may try it. I am just too ticked at myself for my bonehead mismeasurement to think clearly right now.
Understandable...it's the little things that throw big wrenches in some of these projects

I wouldn't worry too much about a small spacer though; while you have a heavily rated axle, you will never get anything near that much weight into that trailer...unless you have some weird fetish for pulling around mass amounts of shotputs

I'm assuming it's a trail-gear type trailer, yes? Any plans of fabricating a cover/box for it?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

If I am going to run two sets of adapters, I might just as well run the wheels backward like is shown! Thirty lug nuts for a single axle seems like a bit much.

Ideally I should bring the axle to a local fabricator to have it widened, I suppose. It would mean adding about three inches and relocating the spring perches.

I know that the 3500 lb axle was way over the top but it is the most flexible with regard to wheel sizes and really offers no disadvantage other than weight. The trailer is only four by six, so I will never be anywhere near that range.

There is a fiberglass lid for the trailer that makes it look kinda like one of those sears xcargo rooftop carriers. It makes for a watertight seal and a perfect size for the JK.
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Haha....I didnt even notice the wheel was on backwards. Poopy.

Again, I'm really interested in what you end up doing with it. All depending on my housing situation, I'd like to get a trailer and match it up to the Jeep. I do quite a bit of fishing and would like to pick up a 18' or so tinny/coleman boat or a kayak. the inside of the trailer would be for gear, and the top would be for the boat.

Oh, if there was just a money tree in my backyard I'd be set.
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Bummer....trailer is looking good though, didn't you pick that up last year?

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off in the long run to have a shop widen the axle and move the perches....
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Different trailer. The other one is done. This one is about a third the size!

Lets put it this way, I lift it up onto the jackstands without using a jack!
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Vince1
2010 JK Wrangler 

I understand your frustration. Why not just order up another axle of the correct length with the correct bolt pattern? That's what I did when I ordered my first axle too long. Just swallow the ~$150 mistake and enjoy your correctly outfitted trailer. It's a drop in the bucket when you total up all the costs of your trailer in the end.
moab3.jpg  
Vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

I dug some trailer wheels out of the shed, and found the box from a Big Mac.

Unread 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

sweet project. I will be looking at something like this next summer or as a winter project.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have restarted this project. The side panels are at the sandblasters and being painted to match the Jeep. A new axle is now underneath, and JK 16 inch steelies are mounted. Still looking for a pair of 17 inch moabs to match the JK. When I did not need them they were all over the place. Now all I can find is a set of five.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

I finally gave up trying to make my wheels/tires match the Jeep. After moving to 37's it wouldn't have worked anyway. I went with 31s on my trailer, mainly because I could find any fenders large enough for 35s, and also a friend had a pair of 31 BFG All terrains for free, so That's what I went with. The only advantage would've been not having to carry a spare on my Jeep, but 95% of the time I don't pull the trailer anyway, so that wouldn't have been a good idea anyway.
Keep posting pictures as your project proceeds.
n4.jpg  
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Getting inpatient waiting for the side panels to get refinished. Has anyone ever in the history of the universe had a painter actually complete a job by the date quoted?

Found a guy that is willing to sell just two wheels and tires, so that will move the project along, too.

Does anyone know of a bedliner material or decent paint that matches the color and texture of the JK hardtop and fenders? Since the trailer body is going to match the blue, I might just as well get the fenders to match the JK fenders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.