trailer brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > trailer brakes

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
piano4one
2000 WJ 

trailer brakes

How big of a trailer can be pulled safely without needing its own brakes? Or maybe how much weight?

piano4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Indy

Many states require them on anything over 1500 lbs but it chamges by state.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

what is really *needed* is going to vary on the trailer tow rig combo. A heavy 1 ton tow rig will be able to contol a lighter trailer without brakes, still a good idea to have them though. A lighter rig towing the same trailer, not so much, and brakes would be a necessity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

In BC where I live, I believe it is any trailer over 1500# requires brakes. I am going to be putting them on my M101 CDN2 soon...loaded it is around 1200# and that is a lot on a trail. On the road, not so bad.

It really depends, I am a BIG fan of electric brakes...they work great and stopping my XJ with a 2200-2700# trailer on the back is no harder than without the trailer when the brakes are tuned properly. Had to drive about 30 miles in the rain with a dead brake controller and the loaded trailer, that sucked!! Wont be doing that again.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't notice any difference at all with a load of 3000lb. It really depends on what the tow rig has for brakes. If you are towing with an unsuitable vehicle, like a Jeep or a car, God forbid, there is no minimum weight. You should have brakes, period. But, if you are towing with an F250HD or equivalent, the electric brakes won't matter for a trailer and a off road rig on it. Just a distraction, IMO. Of course, if the total towed weight is substantial the brakes are helpful. I will say though that I have seen electric brakes on a trailer overheat in the mountains when the truck brakes were not even working hard. And some guys mess around with the controller when going down a long hill to have the trailer slow things down without using the tow rig brakes (most controllers will let you apply the trailer brakes without pressing on the brake pedal) and that is just a real bad idea. Those little electric trailer brakes are not a substitute for the truck brakes. And applying them by themselves to slow the trailer, load and tow rig is just asking for trouble.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano4one View Post
How big of a trailer can be pulled safely without needing its own brakes? Or maybe how much weight?
The 1500 lb laws are a good guideline to start with, but as has been commented above, the tow vehicle (and it's brakes) have the biggest influence on the decision. Then you have to consider the load inside the tow vehicle.

Assuming you're towing with your WJ, I'd want trailer brakes on anything over 1000 lbs if the WJ is more or less empty. If you're going to put 5 people and gear in the WJ (which could easily be another 1000+ lbs) then I'd want trailer brakes on anything I'd tow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.