Toy Hauler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Toy Hauler

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
bluestarguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Toy Hauler

Is anyone using a Toy Hauler to hall there Jeep? Thinking about getting one. Need more room then the camper and trailer have now. What do you think? Thanks

bluestarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarguy View Post
Is anyone using a Toy Hauler to hall there Jeep? Thinking about getting one. Need more room then the camper and trailer have now. What do you think? Thanks
It can easily be done if the right choices are made when selecting one.

There are several things to consider when selecting a Toybox/Toyhauler to haul your Jeep inside, especially if you are considering it having a built-in living quarters.

For starters, there are very few places that will build one for your exact needs/wants (~5 in the US). Most places do not want to be bothered with taking the time to sit down with you and provide you with the expertise that it takes to do one right (design a floor plan that works well). Instead, they want to sell you a cookie-cutter that's loaded with compromises that they will not tell the customer about.

Reason being, they take sometimes several hours to design it for you & do all the legwork for you & then the customes "shops" them, just to save a relatively small amount of $. So it's hours & hours waisted for nothing.

Ask me how I know (check my sig).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
bluestarguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input Joe. It's hard to find something that will do it all. More to think about. I'm taking my time on this one.
bluestarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I briefly checked into it. Once I realized they really weren’t any around and the actually size the trailer would have to be I decided against it. It wasn’t so much the weight or length but more the width.

If would be far simpler to get an RV that can tow your jeep or get a full ton truck with a camper on the back and tow the jeep behind that.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I briefly checked into it. Once I realized they really weren’t any around and the actually size the trailer would have to be I decided against it. It wasn’t so much the weight or length but more the width.
Yep, most of the ones we have custom built are 8 1/2' wide & we add an extra 1' to the height so that the Jeep (almost always lifted with large tires) will fit inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If would be far simpler to get an RV that can tow your jeep or get a full ton truck with a camper on the back and tow the jeep behind that.
Like I do.

Or, my set-up ~6 years ago:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yep, most of the ones we have custom built are 8 1/2' wide & we add an extra 1' to the height so that the Jeep (almost always lifted with large tires) will fit inside.

Like I do.

Or, my set-up ~6 years ago:

Joe,

Your name sounds familiar and your bottom set up looks familiar. I was in the Army Stationed at Fort Irwin from 2001-2003 and recruited in Esco (lived in Menifee)from 2003-2006. I would sometimes wheel with people for JA. I wheeled around Calico and Big Bear allot as wheel as inland form San Diego. I had a blue TJ with MTRs and a Warn winch (pretty much like a million other TJs in the area).

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
MoparToYou
2014 JK Wrangler 

You need a pretty big toyhauler to put a Jeep inside. Here is our toyhauler, which would easily fit the Jeep inside.

The problem with all of the "RV" style toyhaulers is the weight capacity of the loading ramp. Our trailer would carry our Jeep no problem, but the drop down gate would fold like a pretzel if I ever tried to drive the Jeep into the trailer. RV toyhaulers are meant for ATVs, or perhaps a UTV, not for a Jeep. You would need one of the enclosed auto transport trailers that has been converted to have living space up front.

[edit] Joe, sent you a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.