Towing your jeep question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing your jeep question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #31
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond

Do you pull the rear drive shaft out of the XJ when you dolly-tow it? I don't have an XJ, so I can't say this from first-hand experience, but everything I've read online says that you can't dolly-tow an XJ (or a TJ, CJ, or any other Jeep for that matter) without pulling the rear drive shaft.
That's what they say because the transfer case is still spinning. I removed my rear but I did not unlock my steering.

image-387558207.jpg  
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #32
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
That's what they say because the transfer case is still spinning. I removed my rear but I did not unlock my steering.
I believe there's more to it than that. When I flat tow my Jeep, my transfer case is still spinning too.

I've heard that the issue is related to the fact that, on a dolly, only half of the transfer case is spinning - the rear output shaft spins while the front is stationary. It's the difference between those 2 that causes a problem.

But I don't have first-hand experience with it, so I was wondering if someone could explain it in more detail.
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #33
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post

Do you pull the rear drive shaft out of the XJ when you dolly-tow it? I don't have an XJ, so I can't say this from first-hand experience, but everything I've read online says that you can't dolly-tow an XJ (or a TJ, CJ, or any other Jeep for that matter) without pulling the rear drive shaft.
I have pulled this set-up several times over the past year. Never yanked the rear dshaft. The XJ is an '01 with a 231 t-case. I put the tranny in park, leave the keys out of ignition, t-case in neutral, parking brake off. I drive the XJ back and forth to work and around town errands from time to time (short drives) - only had it on the highway a time or two - but I have had zero issues.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #34
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond

I believe there's more to it than that. When I flat tow my Jeep, my transfer case is still spinning too.

I've heard that the issue is related to the fact that, on a dolly, only half of the transfer case is spinning - the rear output shaft spins while the front is stationary. It's the difference between those 2 that causes a problem.

But I don't have first-hand experience with it, so I was wondering if someone could explain it in more detail.
Yes, that is the long version. While the rear or front axle is in motion and the other is not it will cause massive failure of the transfer case. That is pretty much the only explanation I could get out of jeep. Flat towing lets them spin at the same rate.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #35
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, that is the long version. While the rear or front axle is in motion and the other is not it will cause massive failure of the transfer case. That is pretty much the only explanation I could get out of jeep. Flat towing lets them spin at the same rate.
So when I drive around with my front driveshaft pulled when I rebuilt it I should have experienced massive transfer case failure

Come on guys, when it is in 2wd it doesn't matter what that front yoke and chain are doing inside the tcase

These are part time cases, not full time.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #36
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
So when I drive around with my front driveshaft pulled when I rebuilt it I should have experienced massive transfer case failure

Come on guys, when it is in 2wd it doesn't matter what that front yoke and chain are doing inside the tcase

These are part time cases, not full time.
I don't know the answer - that's why I asked. But everywhere you look (both online and in most Jeep owner's manuals) it says that you should never dolly tow a Jeep.

Do a quick Google search - you'll see what I'm talking about. Or look at a variety of Jeep owner's manuals.

There's got to be some reason for that...
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #37
JeepN4KC

Quote:
I don't know the answer - that's why I asked. But everywhere you look (both online and in most Jeep owner's manuals) it says that you should never dolly tow a Jeep.

Do a quick Google search - you'll see what I'm talking about. Or look at a variety of Jeep owner's manuals.

There's got to be some reason for that...
I have yet to experience any tcase failure.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #38
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I need to tow a full size Wagoneer for about 300miles this weekend. Uhauls site keeps telling me to rent a tow dolly and not a tow trailer. Does that sound right?
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #39
JeepN4KC

If your tow rig can handle a trailer go that route. Even if a dolly will work - a trailer is always better.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #40
MWilcox
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If this were the case you could never do a lock out conversion on a Jeep. It makes no difference to the t-case if the front spins with the rear or not as long as you aren't running an all wheel drive version. Pulling the driveshaft is not at all necessary.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilcox View Post
If this were the case you could never do a lock out conversion on a Jeep. It makes no difference to the t-case if the front spins with the rear or not as long as you aren't running an all wheel drive version. Pulling the driveshaft is not at all necessary.
That's always made sense to me as well; I just can't figure out why the Jeep manual says you can't tolly tow any of the Jeeps with a standard transfer case such as a TJ or JK.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #42
MWilcox
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's always made sense to me as well; I just can't figure out why the Jeep manual says you can't tolly tow any of the Jeeps with a standard transfer case such as a TJ or JK.
It could be that Jeep doesn't advise it because there will always be that guy that takes off in his motor home towing his Jeep in gear and not realizing it ( my Dad did this). A diesel pusher doesn't even feel a dragging Jeep back there. Instead of possible warr. issues they advise not doing it. Who knows, but I do it, and when you think about the mechanics of it there is no reason not to flat tow or dolly it.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #43
JeepN4KC

Quote:
It could be that Jeep doesn't advise it because there will always be that guy that takes off in his motor home towing his Jeep in gear and not realizing it ( my Dad did this). A diesel pusher doesn't even feel a dragging Jeep back there. Instead of possible warr. issues they advise not doing it. Who knows, but I do it, and when you think about the mechanics of it there is no reason not to flat tow or dolly it.
I thought of this as well.

But why not just list the correct way to do it instead of mentioning catastrophic failure? I can say with certainty that an '01 XJ, auto, w/ NP231 xfer case can be dollied with no issues.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think that's it, as the TJ & JK manuals says it's okay to tow them 4-wheels down (transfer case in Neutral), but that they cannot be dolly-towed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.