Towing your jeep question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing your jeep question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've done both....a lot.

I agree with MPond above says about the flat tow.

The advantages of a trailer have been well laid out too.

Trailers are a PITA to store (and buy). My LJ's still a DD, so flat towing behind an RV is still something I do several times a year...never a problem.

That said, a well set up Wrangler's at least 4500 lbs...and that's going to push around "a van full of people" pretty well....and more importantly than that, it's going to increase your braking distance SIGNIFICANTLY. Your sig shows a Liberty, and I don't know what those weigh.

It may be safest to have someone drive the Jeep, instead of flat towing....especially if you may encounter steep mountains, rain, and/or wind.

BB

MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I tow mine when using the RV. since its street legal I drive it other wise.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I flat tow my CJ when I can't drive it there. Things to consider: My caster angle is less than it should be and the CJ will exhibit the same wobble/wandering when it approaches 60mph as it does when I drive it so I keep the speed under 60mph. I have a trailer light harness from a plug in the front bumper to the rear lights and have to disconnect the wires from the lighting circuit (next to the drivers seat) to the rear lights or both taillights will flash when using turn signals from the towing vehicle. I remove the rear driveshaft and unlock the steering wheel. The farthest I will tow like this is 100 mi. If I have to go farther, I will rent a trailer.
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
I flat tow my CJ when I can't drive it there. Things to consider: My caster angle is less than it should be and the CJ will exhibit the same wobble/wandering when it approaches 60mph as it does when I drive it so I keep the speed under 60mph. I have a trailer light harness from a plug in the front bumper to the rear lights and have to disconnect the wires from the lighting circuit (next to the drivers seat) to the rear lights or both taillights will flash when using turn signals from the towing vehicle. I remove the rear driveshaft and unlock the steering wheel. The farthest I will tow like this is 100 mi. If I have to go farther, I will rent a trailer.
Two thoughts on this...

1. You can use diodes in order to eliminate the need to disconnect the Jeep's lighting circuit each time you connect. I did this in both my '85 CJ7 and my current '06 LJ. In both cases I did the same as you suggest - have a trailer light harness & plug at or near the front bumper.

2. I've heard of issues with flat-towing a CJ7 because of the transfer case, and I'm wondering if that's why you remove your rear driveshaft. I towed my '85 CJ7 for years without disconnecting without any issues. I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if it's less of an issues than some people suggest about the CJ7? Or maybe different transfer cases in different years? I'm kinda curious on this one.
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Stupid me. I never thought of diodes. As far as the disconnecting of the driveshaft, better safe than sorry.
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would also like info on flat towing. I am considering it for get my rig home after a run when it breaks down on me on the way home. This has happened to me twice in a row now and neither time would it have kept me from flat towing it home. As well how do you connect the draw bar? Does it connect to the bumper pr where? I am gonna build my draw bar. I am a trained fabricator and have worked in a repair shop servicing class A truck and trailers so the draw bar for a YJ isn't a concern. However I would like a suggestion on a length. Thanks for any info.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a set of magnetic tow lights pretty cheap at Tractor Supply or other farm supply stores. You stick them on and rout the harness up to your tow rig's plug and off you go.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
You can get a set of magnetic tow lights pretty cheap at Tractor Supply or other farm supply stores. You stick them on and rout the harness up to your tow rig's plug and off you go.
A set of the magnetic tow lights is invaluable. not only can you use them on the flat towed rig, but also on a rental trailer without good lights and I have even used them for long loads hanging out of the back of my pickup trucks or when the truck lighting is obscured from a bulky load. Plug and go. $40 Great item.
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

a set of the magnetic tow lights is invaluable. Not only can you use them on the flat towed rig, but also on a rental trailer without good lights and i have even used them for long loads hanging out of the back of my pickup trucks or when the truck lighting is obscured from a bulky load. Plug and go. $40 great item.
:2 thumbs up:
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I use a trailer. Less wear, less fuel believe it or not, even with the diesel and a guaranteed way to get home when I break things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My wife and I moved to NJ for a month(don't ask), she flat towed my TJ there and back. We used magnetic stick on lights. No issues at all. BTW the odometer didn't add that mileage as the key was only in the "unlock" position. All that said, if I were towing to do some heavy wheeling I would rather use a trailer, in case of breakage.
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get some pics of the draw bar for building. As far as the attachment points go, I used what came with the set-up we bought at Northern Tool and drilled a couple extra holes where the bumper pads used to be. I then strengthened the stock bumper with some heavy guage plate steel on the back side. Worked great.
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to flat tow for years. Now I have a trailer for all the reasons already posted above.

I used magnetic lights on my rear bumper when I flat towed. Just ran the long wire through the Jeep, under the hood strap, and to the motorhome. I found some used Roadmaster frame mounts, and bought their no frills tow bar.

When I started trailering, I had no extra wires, lights, or diodes on my Jeep.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This is my set-up for now:

4.7L V8 in the WK gets the job done with the XJ on the dolly. Not ideal - but it works. Thinking of selling off the WK to get a real tow pig within the year.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #30
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This is my set-up for now:

4.7L V8 in the WK gets the job done with the XJ on the dolly. Not ideal - but it works. Thinking of selling off the WK to get a real tow pig within the year.
Do you pull the rear drive shaft out of the XJ when you dolly-tow it? I don't have an XJ, so I can't say this from first-hand experience, but everything I've read online says that you can't dolly-tow an XJ (or a TJ, CJ, or any other Jeep for that matter) without pulling the rear drive shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.