Towing your jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing your jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
willpelletier
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Towing your jeep

I just completed a trip from bluffton south carolina to lawton oklahoma using a u-haul tow dolly. My daughters jeep has oversized tires but not overly over sized. I dollied it using my new ford f250
with no troubles with the tow vehicle.

The problem is uhaul dolly wheel strap is to short and wont tighten so i used some car type tie downs with ratchet type straps over the uhaul net type strap which worked but i had to deflate the tires a little and use the long straps i had to wrap them around the axles for better security. I stopped about every 200 miles and more frequently if the tires became out of straight alignment with the tow vehicle. (you also can not turn around by backing up) it wont back up. We got caught trying and crap. We had to go and drive over the grass, up and over curbs and such to get out. I had truck drivers that followed me and stated the jeep was tracking odd later to find out the dolly was also bent. We towed at speeds between 70 and 80mph. Day and night. If the road is bumpy check your straps more often. Some of our interstates are crappy in some spots. We also removed the drive shaft to the rear wheels and just used ratchet straps(2) one across one forward to back holding the shaft in place. Any questions . I will respond. Will

willpelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you fool around with a dolly instead of flat towing it?
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
MuttJockey

Unless the Jeep has the proper base plate, wiring, and brake control equipment, using a dolly was/is a better option. In addition, the vehicle doing the towing has to have the correct towbar to mate to the plate.

With a dolly trailer, the trailer does the braking, rather than the vehicle being towed.

In most states, if you are towing more than 1500 lbs., the vehicle being towed (either a dolly with a vehicle, a flat-towed vehicle, or a trailer with a vehicle) has to have brakes.

By way of example, a JK Wrangler comes in at almost 4000 lbs. with a full tank of gas.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttJockey

In most states, if you are towing more than 1500 lbs., the vehicle being towed (either a dolly with a vehicle, a flat-towed vehicle, or a trailer with a vehicle) has to have brakes.

By way of example, a JK Wrangler comes in at almost 4000 lbs. with a full tank of gas.
Not that I would ever advocate towing a Jeep without brakes, but there's a little mis-information here. It's a common misconception that a vehicle in tow is required to have brakes in most states. In reality, the vehicle code in many states consider trailers and vehicles in tow as two different classes, and they have different rules.

This mistake is perpetuated by many of the brake manufacturers because the trailer rules are much more strict. For example, in CA, any trailer over 1500 lbs., but a vehicle being flat towed doesn't have that requirement. Instead, vehicles being flat-towed are required to meet a braking performance standard (stopping in x feet from y MPH). The reason for this is that towing a 5,000 lb Jeep behind a 6,000 lb pickup is very different than towing the same Jeep behind a 35,000 lb bus.

A number of states have adopted a similar performance standard for vehicles in tow. And then there are other states that make a distinction between a trailer and a vehicle in tow, but only specify regulations for trailers.

Just trying to spread some info that is more complete.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttJockey View Post
Unless the Jeep has the proper base plate, wiring, and brake control equipment, using a dolly was/is a better option. In addition, the vehicle doing the towing has to have the correct towbar to mate to the plate.
I have towed lots of things; I despise a dolly. I suppose they may have a use for some rare circumstance.

A set of magnetic tail lights is all the wiring I need, and the tow rig only needs a trailer ball, the tow bar is not dependent on anything other than that and some attachment points on the toad.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
MuttJockey

I appreciate MPond's providing clarifying information, which is totally correct.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttJockey
I appreciate MPond's providing clarifying information, which is totally correct.
Thanks. I've been flamed on other forums for spreading that info. Nice to see friendly people here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.