Towing a Wrangler Cross State - Best Equipment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing a Wrangler Cross State - Best Equipment?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Mudstick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Towing a Wrangler Cross State - Best Equipment?

I purchased a custom built Jeep Wrangler that has a 9 inch lift on it and very large tires. Because of the distance I am choosing not to drive it back to my home town (also because wranglers don't really like the highway, especially the manuals) so I am renting a a full sized U-Haul trailer (the 6 by 12) in hopes that it will hold the Jeep. I know that it will fit which is good news I just don't know if the fact that its got the 9 inch lift with oversized tires will be too heavy to tow. I'm using a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton that has a 5.7 Hemi engine. Wondering if that would be enough to pull the trailer with the Jeep on it.

I also have a 94 Grand Cherokee with a full 5.2 V8 in it.

Simply wondering which is better to use for towing the Wrangler back to my hometown and if anyone has any helpful tips for this trip.

Mudstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
DocBrown
1993 ZJ 

That dodge has plenty of power and towing capacity to tow your Wrangler. The trailer also has plenty of capacity to handle the Jeep. Those things were designed for full sized sedans and older SUV's. The only thing that would worry me is the very high center of balance since your Jeep not only has a 9 inch lift on it but you will also be placing it on the back of a U-Haul auto transporter. I worked for a company that also was a licensed U-Haul dealer for quite a few years and I know that I wouldn't have let you out of our lot with a vehicle that tall on the trailer without signing a waiver if the computer system even let me push it through. I would double check with U-Haul to make sure that your wider wheel base will even fit on the AT. You may end up having to put some stock sized wheels on it just to get it to strap down properly. Depending on which highways you will be traveling as well as what part of the country you will be crossing will also have a lot to do with the safety since traveling through flat plains like in Kansas or Texas you will get a lot of cross winds that will push your trailer around a bit and since you are towing with a pickup you will have to really hold onto the wheel in those situations. If you are going to be renting from a smaller mom and pop dealer then you might be able to get away with not having to answer many questions but I would use your best judgement when securing the Jeep to the trailer as you not only risk your own life but others on the road. Sorry for getting all long winded and what not, I've just seen a lot of pics come through the U-Haul dealers of people renting trailers to tow over sized off road vehicles and it turn out VERY badly.

I wish you the best of luck and safe travels,

~ Doc
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The truck will handle the weight and sway much better than the ZJ. If memory serves the straps that come with the U-Haul trailers won't work with anything over a 31" or 33" tire. If the Wrangler still has a stock bolt pattern I would consider putting the ZJ's wheels and tires on it.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

The Uhaul trailer can handle that load no problem but the tie downs wont work with oversize tires ever 31s. If you can use their supplied tie downs you have to supply your own. I would recommend some chain and binders and tie directly to the frame. Be careful when wrapping anything on the trailer as you are responsible for any and all damage.

As for the towing rig use the truck and you will be far happier than the GC towing. Its got more weight and a longer wheel base.

Tips be safe and keep it slow remember you have a trailer that's 6-7k lbs extra.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A while back I remember reading an article about factory hitches, their tow rating and the tow rating of the vehicle they are attached to. Check your hitch itself!!!!!

The 1/2 trucks themselves have the ability to tow more than ever in many case BUT the hitches, both the receiver and the mounts may not be able to two as much as the trucks themselves, even if they are factory. Even if the factory hitch or the hitch you have it may require “extra equipment” to tow a load that heavy. You may need to use an equalizing or weight distributing hitch to do it safely.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're absolutely correct. My Silverado is rated for something like 7200lbs, but the hitch was only good for 5000lbs unless you use a weight distribution setup. I replaced the hitch.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.