Towing w/ a short bed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing w/ a short bed

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 06-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Forumpete58
1982 CJ5 

Towing w/ a short bed

Hey guys I just bought an '05 Ram 2500 Cummins, Quad Cab, SB, 4x4. I'm planning on pulling a 28'-34' 5th wheel. My problem is that I REALLY don't want a 5th wheel hitch in my bed all the time so I was thinking about having a gooseneck installed and putting a 5th-gooseneck adapter on the trailer; not to mention the added versatility of a gooseneck over a 5th wheel. I called a hitch company and they told me the B&W hitch places the ball a few inches in front of the axle and recommended I purchase a ball extension that moves the ball 4" to the rear. I realize that I'm not in the ideal situation here but I just don't want a slider hitch in my bed. Do any of you guys run this sort of setup, and have you had any problems if so?
Thanks!

Forumpete58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Buy the B&W and the adaptor for your camper and run it that way. Just watch your cab corners on sharp turns. I sell ALOT of B&W hitchs, they are a very nice product! I also sell a ton of them that guys use in short beds and I would say less than 1% use an extension to move the ball back in the bed. If you just pay attention you will have no problems. Heck, I have guys that put them in 1500 crew cab Chevy trucks (I know, they are nuts!)and those only have 5'8" bed!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
That1guy
2007 WK 

The B and W are nice hitches. The adapter for the 5th wheel is like 500 bucks I think. It's worth it to be able to take everything out and the ball flips and your bed has a flat floor.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
landmarkbuilder
2010 JK Wrangler 

if you buy a new fifth wheel, the manufacturer will void the warranty if you use a FW to Goose adapter....the additional stress put on the frame (think leverage) will scare the crap outta them! used one....no problem!

Last edited by landmarkbuilder; 06-29-2010 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
landmarkbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.