Towing w/1500 Chevy - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing w/1500 Chevy

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post

The base-plates for my towbar and my steering box skid plate mount in the same place, so I had a local fabricator cut off the driver-side edge of the steering box skid and weld it to the towbar base plate. Here are a couple pics from that project:

If you need more, let me know and I can stap a few later today.
That is the same setup I have on my jeep. What tow bar do you use?

4" Pro-Comp springs / Bilstein 5100's / Rokmen Adj LCA's / Currie Currectlynk Steering / Currie Adj FTB / JKS Adj RTB / Warn F&R bumpers w/ tire carrier / KC daylights w/ windshield mounts / 285/75/16 Duratracs / Moab wheels / Cobra CB / Sirius XM / Skid-Row Engine Skid / Warn VR8000 / 05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara 557/1000.
Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
That is the same setup I have on my jeep. What tow bar do you use?
I use a Roadmaster Sterling, but these base plates work with several of the Roadmaster Tow Bars, including the Falcon, BlackHawk 2, and StowMaster. All 4 can be found here: Roadmaster All Terrain Tow Bars

If you're going to buy a tow bar, you can also use other popular tow bars, as most of the companies make adapters to work with each other. For example, if you wanted the ReadyBrake I mentioned before, you could buy the ReadyBrute towbar with the integrated brakes and get their adapter for Roadmaster Base Plates.
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok here is what I'm working with:
Mount:

Brake light hook in:

This is where I'm confused, this is mounted under the Jeep and the little black tube run up to the master cylinder:

So any idea what i've got here and how i can take advantage of it?
4" Pro-Comp springs / Bilstein 5100's / Rokmen Adj LCA's / Currie Currectlynk Steering / Currie Adj FTB / JKS Adj RTB / Warn F&R bumpers w/ tire carrier / KC daylights w/ windshield mounts / 285/75/16 Duratracs / Moab wheels / Cobra CB / Sirius XM / Skid-Row Engine Skid / Warn VR8000 / 05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara 557/1000.
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok here is what I'm working with:
Mount:

So any idea what i've got here and how i can take advantage of it?
I'm not sure what we're looking at in the 3d & 4th pics, but the 5th pics looks like an adapter for air brakes to tie the Jeep's brakes into an RV with air brakes.

Your picture here:

Looks like the M&G Brake System:

http://m-gengineering.com/
http://www.hotrodparts.com/rv/mg-brakes.htm
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's hard to tell, but the 4th picture looks like it could be a break-away brake switch. Is that a cable wrapped around the box in the 4th picture?
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It's hard to tell, but the 4th picture looks like it could be a break-away brake switch. Is that a cable wrapped around the box in the 4th picture?
Sorry if this post twice, I'm using my phone. The forth pic is of the front of the connection. It has a little rubber boot over it and the cable is for the boot. The tube falls off the back easily. I call the manufacturer you gave and said the system can be used with a pickup but I have to purchase the power pack for 1000.
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
TS what kind of trailer did you use?
This is the only picture I could find.
Standard car hauler with brakes on both axles.
I have been using this trailer, towing the Jeep since the truck was new.
This is the only time something has broke down when towing. Fuel pump.
Truck has 190,000 miles on it.
Freind reading the instructions for the fuel pump in a rest area.
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

TSEJeepers thanks for the pic. Does your chevy have 3.08 or 3.43 gears? My truck has 3.08 gears and according to my research that will allow me to tow 6700 lbs max. GVMR is 12,000 lbs. I went by a scale today and with me in the Jeep and 1/2 tank of fuel the Jeep weighed in at 4560 lbs. I weigh 160 and fuel weighs about 70, so looking at 4330 for the Jeep. Uhaul says their trailer weighs 2100 lbs, so i would be around 6400 lbs. only 300 under max towing. That doesnt leave me with alot of wiggle room for tools and other stuff like two Labradors and clothes. Would you be comfortable with this? Uhaul's trailer only has surge brakes.
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Chevy has 3.73 gear ratio.
GCWR 13.000 lbs
8,500 lbs Max trailer Wt.
I have never really weighed my Jeep or trailer but I am sure I am close if not over max trailer weight.
I would go for it.
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
My Chevy has 3.73 gear ratio.
GCWR 13.000 lbs
8,500 lbs Max trailer Wt.
I have never really weighed my Jeep or trailer but I am sure I am close if not over max trailer weight.
I would go for it.
My LJ weighed around 4100lbs in commuter mode. Heavy skids, bumpers, winch, 33x10.5 tires, aluminum wheels. I wouldn't want to put it on a steel trailer and pull across the country w/ a half ton. Especially if I'm carrying other stuff too.
I've pulled it behind a 3/4 ton on a HEAVY repurposed 18' steel trailer and didn't notice it until the surge brakes did their thing.
It was a 02 Chevy 2500, 6.0L/4L80. Single cab work truck trim.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
My LJ weighed around 4100lbs in commuter mode. Heavy skids, bumpers, winch, 33x10.5 tires, aluminum wheels. I wouldn't want to put it on a steel trailer and pull across the country w/ a half ton. Especially if I'm carrying other stuff too.
I've pulled it behind a 3/4 ton on a HEAVY repurposed 18' steel trailer and didn't notice it until the surge brakes did their thing.
As I said I have never weighed my Jeep so I really can not say how much it weighs, Running 36 inch bias Iroks, Dana 44 in front, Ford 9 inch in the rear, Steel rims, Steel flat fenders in front, steel corner guards, 15 gallon fuel cell sitting on a heavy steel plate, Winch, full cage, ect. I would guess if yours weighs in at 4100lbs I would guess mine would be around 5000lbs. Trailer I am sure is around 2,000 lbs with a tool box in front full of tools.
Spare tire in the bed. I have also had a large ATV in the bed at the same time towing the Jeep.
Yes I know it is back there but I have not had a problem towing it all.
Just my exsperance.
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
As I said I have never weighed my Jeep so I really can not say how much it weighs, Running 36 inch bias Iroks, Dana 44 in front, Ford 9 inch in the rear, Steel rims, Steel flat fenders in front, steel corner guards, 15 gallon fuel cell sitting on a heavy steel plate, Winch, full cage, ect. I would guess if yours weighs in at 4100lbs I would guess mine would be around 5000lbs. Trailer I am sure is around 2,000 lbs with a tool box in front full of tools.
Spare tire in the bed. I have also had a large ATV in the bed at the same time towing the Jeep.
Yes I know it is back there but I have not had a problem towing it all.
Just my exsperance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
TSEJEEPERS & mike_dippert -

What you guys are describing is really a matter of personal preference. A 1500 Chevy Silverado is "rated" to tow the approx. 7,000 lbs you're talking about, assuming the use of proper equipment.

Having done it myself, and seeing how towing just below the limits of the Chevy rating eats up a 1500 truck (went through a 4L60 trans, a number of bearings, a rearend, etc..., in one season, but luckily it was all covered under warranty), I won't do it anymore. But because of that experience I've upgraded my trucks to 2500s and 3500s.

Here's my point: Can it be done? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. Would I do it for a 1-off trip like Hwkscr is asking about? Maybe, but probably not. It really comes down to personal preference.
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #28
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

TSEJEEPERS & mike_dippert -

What you guys are describing is really a matter of personal preference. A 1500 Chevy Silverado is "rated" to tow the approx. 7,000 lbs you're talking about, assuming the use of proper equipment.
When somebody says "I wouldn't..." that usually implies personal opinion.
A quick glance at the owners manual proves it's possible. That cannot be argued. It can be advised against for reasons you are very familiar with. Especially when the OP will be driving through the Rockies and Appalachian mountains.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.