Towing w/1500 Chevy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing w/1500 Chevy

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Towing w/1500 Chevy

I'll be moving from Colorado to somewhere in the US within 2013. I just bought a 2012 1500 Crew Cab Silverado 5.3L Auto trans Z71vwith the 'All star edition' which has the trailering package (tranny cooler, etc.). My LJ is already setup to be flat towed from the previous owner (has lights, tow bar hook ups).

I'd like to just rent a Uhaul auto trailer (not dolly), load the Jeep and roll. Are there any issues with this? Weight? Wear on the truck? Would it be better to flat tow the Jeep?

Distance would be Denver to Clemson, SC roughly 1500 miles. Any advice would be helpful.

4" Pro-Comp springs / Bilstein 5100's / Rokmen Adj LCA's / Currie Currectlynk Steering / Currie Adj FTB / JKS Adj RTB / Warn F&R bumpers w/ tire carrier / KC daylights w/ windshield mounts / 285/75/16 Duratracs / Moab wheels / Cobra CB / Sirius XM / Skid-Row Engine Skid / Warn VR8000 / 05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara 557/1000.
Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
I'll be moving from Colorado to somewhere in the US within 2013. I just bought a 2012 1500 Crew Cab Silverado 5.3L Auto trans Z71vwith the 'All star edition' which has the trailering package (tranny cooler, etc.). My LJ is already setup to be flat towed from the previous owner (has lights, tow bar hook ups).

I'd like to just rent a Uhaul auto trailer (not dolly), load the Jeep and roll. Are there any issues with this? Weight? Wear on the truck? Would it be better to flat tow the Jeep?

Distance would be Denver to Clemson, SC roughly 1500 miles. Any advice would be helpful.
You should be able to do either just fine with your silverado. Using a trailer will be heavier, and you should probably double-check the rating on your Silverado's hitch. Over a certain weight it will likely require Weight-Distribution, but that should be listed on the hitch.

Have you thought about brakes? You'll want to rent a trailer with brakes (electric if you have a controller, or surge brakes). If you flat-tow, you'll be marginal without using a supplemental brake system in the Jeep with a 1/2-ton truck. Every once in a while I flat tow my LJ behind my 3/4-ton Suburban or my 1-ton Silverado without supplemental brakes, and you can definitely feel the weight pushing the truck around if you have to stop hard. If you go the flat-tow route, I'd suggest doing a dry-run ahead of time and deciding for yourself.

Out of curiousity - if you're already setup to flat-tow, why spend the $$$ to rent a trailer?
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have used one of their auto haulers before. I pulled it with the largest Uhaul they rented to I can't comment on how well you truck will tow it.

As far as the trailer it had surge brakes and not equipped for an equalizer hitch or sway bar. I would think flat towing you jeep would be more stable. Not sure if you have brakes hooked up for flat towing.

I have never flat towed but have used an auto dolly and auto hauler before. Backing up your vehicle on a trailer versus an auto dolly, the trailer is much easier. I would think backing up flat towing would be similar to an auto dolly.

If you flat tow I would keep this in mind as you travel. Make sure where ever you park you can pull out forward so you don't have to deal with maneuvering in reverse. I would also practice backing before you head out, just in case.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good point about backing up.

There are two schools of thought there. The majority of people who flat tow will tell you that you can't back up when flat towing. Some will say you can back up a few feet before the steering in the towed vehicle gets crossed up, and a few people will say they have mastered it and can back up any distance.

The vehicle being towed is also a factor. Most vehicles won't steer straight when being pushed backward by a towbar, but there are a few that will, presumably with less caster on the steering axle.

I flat tow my LJ all the time behind my RV, and I've only backed it up successfully a few times, but only a few feet. I've got a good amount of positive caster, so my steering tracks realy nice going forward. But it wants to turn when being backed up in tow. Once the steering gets crossed up, you cannot continue without risking damage to the towbar and/or steering components. So I've gotten used to planning my entrances & exits so I don't have to back up.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used to sell trailers and stil ldo part time and i would recommend a full auto trailer. Much less wear on the vehicle being towed and much less hassle. I would invest in a weight distribution setup though. Also stay away from surge brakes if possible
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
You should be able to do either just fine with your silverado. Using a trailer will be heavier, and you should probably double-check the rating on your Silverado's hitch. Over a certain weight it will likely require Weight-Distribution, but that should be listed on the hitch.

Have you thought about brakes? You'll want to rent a trailer with brakes (electric if you have a controller, or surge brakes). If you flat-tow, you'll be marginal without using a supplemental brake system in the Jeep with a 1/2-ton truck. Every once in a while I flat tow my LJ behind my 3/4-ton Suburban or my 1-ton Silverado without supplemental brakes, and you can definitely feel the weight pushing the truck around if you have to stop hard. If you go the flat-tow route, I'd suggest doing a dry-run ahead of time and deciding for yourself.

Out of curiousity - if you're already setup to flat-tow, why spend the $$$ to rent a trailer?
The Jeep was set up by the previous owner for flat towing, i heard that he had an RV. I prefer the thought of using a trailer due to the less risk and wear on the Jeep. If i were only going a couple hundred miles i would consider the flat tow, but with 1500 miles i think the trailer maybe best.

The truck is set up for electrical trailer brakes, but ill have to purchase the controller for it. Aren't all rental auto trailers equipped with surge brakes? Are there any rental trailers with electrical brake controls? Any suggestions on how to setup the truck with the electrical brake controller?

Overall, the 1/2 ton can pull the load?
4" Pro-Comp springs / Bilstein 5100's / Rokmen Adj LCA's / Currie Currectlynk Steering / Currie Adj FTB / JKS Adj RTB / Warn F&R bumpers w/ tire carrier / KC daylights w/ windshield mounts / 285/75/16 Duratracs / Moab wheels / Cobra CB / Sirius XM / Skid-Row Engine Skid / Warn VR8000 / 05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara 557/1000.
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It should be able to pull it but it wont be a breeze. Hopefully you wont be crossing the rockies
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

That's the tradeoff between flat towing and trailering the Jeep - some extra wear & tear on the Jeep (flat towing), or some extra wear & tear on the Silveardo (adding 1500-2000 lbs for the trailer, depending on what type you rent).

I Flat-towed my LJ for over 3000 miles each of the last 2 summers, without any noticable wear & tear issues, but you have to decide what you're comfortable with.

As WhyJayPA said, your 1500 will pull it, but it won't be a breeze. If I were in your shoes, my preference would be to flat tow, just to keep the weight down. But that's really a matter of personal preference.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will have no problems.
I have a 02 1500, crew cab, 5.3L that I use to tow my Jeep on a trailer. I would guess that our Jeeps would pretty much weigh the same.
It has been over the Rockies 4 times (Moab), well I guess that would be 8 times up and back. 1300 miles each way.
You are not going to win any races and do not push it too hard but it will do it.
Give the truck a good tune up and change the transmission fluid.
I have to tow in 3rd gear, to keep it from going into overdrive on inclines.
If you do have to go over the Rockies, keep up your motmentum. Do not back off and stop at the top and let your transmission cool off.
Other than the mountians I do not have problems keeping up with the guys with the diesels.
Expect to get around 10 mpg.
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well...theres your answer hahah ^^^
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's the tradeoff between flat towing and trailering the Jeep - some extra wear & tear on the Jeep (flat towing), or some extra wear & tear on the Silveardo (adding 1500-2000 lbs for the trailer, depending on what type you rent).

I Flat-towed my LJ for over 3000 miles each of the last 2 summers, without any noticable wear & tear issues, but you have to decide what you're comfortable with.

As WhyJayPA said, your 1500 will pull it, but it won't be a breeze. If I were in your shoes, my preference would be to flat tow, just to keep the weight down. But that's really a matter of personal preference.
MPond did you experience and issues while driving with it in flat tow? Are you able to hook into the jeeps brakes? Got any picks of your setup in tow?
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
You will have no problems.
I have a 02 1500, crew cab, 5.3L that I use to tow my Jeep on a trailer. I would guess that our Jeeps would pretty much weigh the same.
It has been over the Rockies 4 times (Moab), well I guess that would be 8 times up and back. 1300 miles each way.
You are not going to win any races and do not push it too hard but it will do it.
Give the truck a good tune up and change the transmission fluid.
I have to tow in 3rd gear, to keep it from going into overdrive on inclines.
If you do have to go over the TS Rockies, keep up your motmentum. Do not back off and stop at the to
p and let your transmission cool off.
Other than the mountians I do not have problems keeping up with the guys with the diesels.
Expect to get around 10 mpg.
TS what kind of trailer did you use?
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
MPond did you experience and issues while driving with it in flat tow? Are you able to hook into the jeeps brakes? Got any picks of your setup in tow?
No, I've not had any issues with flat towing. There are several options for hooking into the Jeep's brakes, from complex air systems, to brake-in-a-box systems that sit in the driver's side foot well and manually pump the brake pedal.

There's a really simple system from Night Shift Auto that I'd recommend, as it's less expensive, simpler, and more reliable: ReadyBrake

Here are a few pics of my setup...

Unread 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Hwkscr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No, I've not had any issues with flat towing. There are several options for hooking into the Jeep's brakes, from complex air systems, to brake-in-a-box systems that sit in the driver's side foot well and manually pump the brake pedal.

There's a really simple system from Night Shift Auto that I'd recommend, as it's less expensive, simpler, and more reliable: ReadyBrake

Here are a few pics of my setup...
Do you have any close up pics of the brackets you are using for the tow bar? My jeep has some brackets already on it but I'm not sure what I need to use them. Ill get some pics later to help.
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have any close up pics of the brackets you are using for the tow bar? My jeep has some brackets already on it but I'm not sure what I need to use them. Ill get some pics later to help.
The base-plates for my towbar and my steering box skid plate mount in the same place, so I had a local fabricator cut off the driver-side edge of the steering box skid and weld it to the towbar base plate. Here are a couple pics from that project:

If you need more, let me know and I can stap a few later today.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.