towing truck height vs towed jeep height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > towing truck height vs towed jeep height

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Mud_Hornet
2001 TJ Wrangler 

towing truck height vs towed jeep height

my buddy has a 2008 or 2010 chevy silverado with a v8 with z71 suspension with a tow package, but not 4x4. my jeep tj has 6 in of lift in the front. if the angle of the tow bar is off (as in pointing down) would that be bad? im asking this question because im wanting to flat tow it but not wanting to purchase the towbar until i could get a little more information about the subject.

01' Jeep Wrangler "X" / Disount Tire Co. #15
Mud_Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is meant to be "as flat as possible", this isnt always possible, I would say that as long as the angle isnt steeper than about 10 or 15 degrees you should be ok, just keep in mind that stopping and accelerating will put undue stress on the towbar at the ball, more so when stopping.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just get the proper ball mount and be done with it. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

I have one with a 6" offset for my XJ on 37's. Works fine. Keep all the vectors flat.
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud_Hornet View Post
my buddy has a 2008 or 2010 chevy silverado with a v8 with z71 suspension with a tow package, but not 4x4. my jeep tj has 6 in of lift in the front. if the angle of the tow bar is off (as in pointing down) would that be bad? im asking this question because im wanting to flat tow it but not wanting to purchase the towbar until i could get a little more information about the subject.
Pointing down can be very bad because in an emergency braking situation the towed vehicle can pole vault up onto the rear of the tow vehicle.

Do you have a drop hitch you can turn upside down and re-mount the ball?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Mud_Hornet
2001 TJ Wrangler 

cool cool. i dont think the degrees should be off anymore than that. ive heard you should leave your key in also so that your steering wheel does not lock? is this true? and thanks for all the help so far!
01' Jeep Wrangler "X" / Disount Tire Co. #15
Mud_Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Turn the key forward one position, to unlock the steering, put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear or park, thats important
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
It is meant to be "as flat as possible", this isnt always possible, I would say that as long as the angle isnt steeper than about 10 or 15 degrees you should be ok, just keep in mind that stopping and accelerating will put undue stress on the towbar at the ball, more so when stopping.
15 degrees sounds a little high - you should check with your tow bar manufacturer. The manual for my Roadmaster Sterling says no more than a 3" height difference between the center of the receiver and the center of the pins, which is a in the 5-10 degree range.

But that is easily solved with a drop receiver (flipped over if necessary).
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

5 degrees sounds a little high. Consider the vector forces when you have the receiver and the tongue at a 15 degree angle to each other and you slam on the brakes at 60 mph. It is equivalent to putting a hydraulic jack under the tongue and trying to force it off the ball. Just get the right ball mount like I said above.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.